PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a chrono

ubetcha
01-26-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm thinking about buying a chrono,but I not sure on what to look at when I study and decipher the data.What are the key readings to look at and know when I'm getting to a load that works.The one I was thinking about getting is the Chrony Beta Master with remote readout and pc capabilitys

williamwaco
01-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Just be sure the electronics is on the bench and NOT in the first screen.
You WILL eventually shoot a screen.

I like the PACT

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988710/pact-professional-xp-chronograph-with-improved-skyscreen-mounting-bracket-and-case

( It is the only one I have owned so I am not saying it is the best, just that I like it. )

Lee
01-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Make yourself a wedge shaped base out of 1/4" or so steel. Mount the Chrony behind it. "Hopefully" any errant shot will be deflected away from the Chrony. NOT recommended for backyard testing, where the projectile might come down in a populated area. Or, mount the wedge to deflect downward!:roll: Might knock the tripod over, but at least you won't put one right thru the good parts.
I made a wedge like that for mine, and my only Oooppss so far has been sending one of the metal screen suports into low earth orbit. I quickly got wooden dowel rod from the HW store (or lumber yard). Problem solved.
If you are a casual chrony user (like me) the inexpensive Chrony series should be adequate for your needs.
I almost never load near max, and don't concern myself too much about absolute speeds. I've not met a deer yet who knew the difference between a 1600fps and 1700fps boolit.[smilie=1:
JMHO, YMMV.....