PDA

View Full Version : 32 mag loading

chevyiron420
07-17-2007, 01:37 AM
hi, i need some loads for my 32 h&r mag, using 100 grain rn from a lee mold. my cases are federal, cci primers, and i have bullseye, unique, maybe some 296. my boolits drop at .3125-.313. my barrel is .312, and i have a slight thunb preasure fit in 5 of the cyl throats. 1 is a little looser. my boolits are plain based.--phil[smilie=2:

Lloyd Smale
07-17-2007, 06:25 AM
are you looking for mild loads or full power loads?

2 dogs
07-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Get ready for some serious fun. The 32's are great.

ktw
07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
I usually use 4.0g Unique or 5.0g HS-6.

Haven't tried bullseye or H110/296.

(in a Ruger Single Six 32 mag)

-ktw

Harry O
07-17-2007, 10:47 AM
We really should know what gun you will be shooting. There are basically two load levels. The J-frame S&W and the H&R's should be loaded no higher than factory loads. The Rugers and the K-frame S&W can go higher.

chevyiron420
07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
i have a taurus 6 inch barrel revolver. i cant remember the model number, and i dont see it on the gun. maybe its hiding someware. it looks alot like a 38 or 357 smith. i have been shooting 85 grain XTP's with 4 grains of unique. for the cast load im just looking for a medium load that the plain base bullet will like. im a little worried about the plain base bullet after plugging up the barrel with lead useing a 215 plain base in my 44 mag after 20 rounds.-phil

deadguy
07-17-2007, 02:11 PM
I use 3 grains of bullseye in my .32's. It works great for me!

racepres
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM
For your purposes,,, 4.0 gr Unique... MV

Dale53
07-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Using a 100 gr Keith (ww's + 2% tin air cooled) lubed with Emmert's a CCI SP primer:

.32S&W L cases - 2.8 Win 231

.32 H&R Mag cases - 3.2 231

These are nice pleasant loads that shoot extremely well. Should be dandy for edible small game, also.

I use these in my Ruger SP101 /4" and my S&W 16-4 /6"

Dale53

Newtire
07-19-2007, 05:48 PM
are you looking for mild loads or full power loads?

This one is a question for Lloyd. I have a Ruger Blackhawk. would like to know about some full power loads. Have AA #5, 7 & 9. Also Herco, HS-7, Blue Dot, H-4227, 2400, AA1680, Unique, Red Dot & Bullseye. Would be loading the RCBS 32-98 & the GB 32-20 PB 120 gr. Also have some Honady & Speer 100 grainer J-word. Any help would be appreciated. I also load the .32-20 but don't know if you have one of those things or not?

Thanks in advance,
Newtire

Larry Gibson
07-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh hell, give us a little more information on the bullet mould, as cast size, throats, expectation of performance..... there are just many, many options here for a good time and much good shooting with that revolver.

Larry Gibson

Newtire
07-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Oh hell, give us a little more information on the bullet mould, as cast size, throats, expectation of performance..... there are just many, many options here for a good time and much good shooting with that revolver.

Larry Gibson

My revolter cylinder throats measure .312" & the bore measures .312". I heard the throats should be a tad bigger than the bore but that's another thing I was wondering about. It seems to shoot alright but I don't know how good it'll shoot yet. I have sent about 200 rounds thru it and plan on putting another 300 thru it tomorrow. My boolits "as cast" diameter for the RCBS is .315" and the Group buy boolits are from a batch I bought off one of our members here. they go at .3125. I also have an old Ideal 100 gr boolit mold that I have had a bit of luck with. It goes out of the mold at .313". I have sized everything to .312" and lubed with Lar's carnauba Red. Loaded up some with small rifle primers for this weekend but last weekend used some CCI550's. Ran out and tried the rifle primers for this weekend.

I loaded some 3.0 Bullseye loads with the RCBS and they shot great. I put together some 3.5 gr. Bullseye loads and others as well for this weekend. I found AA#9 to be real good with the J-words at 9 gr. and a 100 gr. J-bullet.

Harry O
07-21-2007, 08:01 PM
My light loads are very similar to Dale53's. Red Dot, Bullseye, 231, and Unique all work well. My Ruger and S&W take 0.312" lead bullets.

If you are interested in heavier loads, your Blackhawk can take it. My Single-Six has been shot with 8.5gr of 2400 with a Hornady 85gr XTP. No problems with the gun, but getting them out of the chamber is difficult. There is VERY little room for the cartridge rim to pass through the ejection slot. With the larger slot in the Blackhawk, I would think it would be easier to get them out. I reduced it to 8.0gr and had less problems with ejection, but still some. Reducing it to 7.5gr solved all problems.

I you are really brave, Skeeter Skelton shot an 85gr Hornady XTP at 1,448fps with 9.4gr of AA No. 7. This was later pressure tested and was found to generate over 38,000psi. He used a Single-Six without blowing it up, so you should not have any problems with the Blackhawk. Keep in mind, I think that this load will seriously bend ANY other gun than a Ruger.

For the 32-20 cylinder, you should try 6.0gr of SR4756 and a 100gr Hornady XTP. It is stronger than factory loads, but it is NOT anyway near as heavy as Skeeter's load. This one was recommended by Ken Waters and has proven itself accurate in my handguns. It is a little heavy for the Colt PPS, but the S&W K-frame and Cimarron P-Jr can handle it easily. SR4756 is a strange powder. It works great in this caliber, but I have not found another caliber that it works well in (not even the .32 Magnum). It also has a VERY narrow range of pressure where it works well.

In both the 32 Magnum and the 32-20, the handguns chambered for them have a wide range of strength. Don't use a load developed in a stronger gun in a weaker one.

Newtire
07-21-2007, 09:30 PM
In both the 32 Magnum and the 32-20, the handguns chambered for them have a wide range of strength. Don't use a load developed in a stronger gun in a weaker one.

I read some of the loads over on the Leverguns site and my-o-my..How many grains more am I supposed to put in after I get difficult extraction? Some of these guys would have you loading some real hot loads that could be trouble if you ask me. Of course, I used to load lighter than Elmer did in my .44 mag. pistol when I used to own one of those beauties. I suppose I ought to not worry until I can't hammer them out with a punch....hmmmm.

These are all loads I shot in the .32-20 cylinder.
I loaded up some plinkers right at the end of last night and they turned out to be some of the best loads of the day. These were the Lyman 77 gr. 311352 roundnose water quenched and LLA lubed, sized .312" and I didn't think they would work too well in the .32-20 because of the "jump" they had to make but they just made a nice little lump of holes inside the 15 yd. bullseye. I had a batch of Saeco's all loaded up but couldn't shoot the majority of them as I had them seated out too long....DUH! The obsolete Ideal #4 100 gr. round nose flatpoint was this one's equal with 4.5 gr. Unique and sized to .311". I know the cylinder is .312" but maybe these obturated?

I also loaded 8.0 gr. 2400 behind the 100 gr. Horn XTP and just couldn't keep them out of the black.

The RCBS 32-98 did great with 3.0 gr. Bullseye. The small rifle primers didn't seem to make much difference in things from last weekend. (CCI550 last weekend vs CCI 400 this weekend). So that's all that's fit to report. Now to cast up a heap of those little 311352's.

Dragoon
07-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I read some of the loads over on the Leverguns site and my-o-my..How many grains more am I supposed to put in after I get difficult extraction? Some of these guys would have you loading some real hot loads that could be trouble if you ask me. .

Paco may be able to walk on water but he don't proof read to well. There are some bad mistakes in one of his 32-20 articles. I wouldn't touch some of his loads with a ten foot pole. To each their own.

Harry O
07-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Here is my 32-20 article. I did proof-read it.

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/articles/harry_o/reloading_32-20.html

Dragoon
07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
I did proof-read it.

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/articles/harry_o/reloading_32-20.html

Then you intended for the picture of the 1894CL to cover a paragraph of text?[smilie=1:

I honestly wish I knew what I was doing differently than other people when it comes to loading 32-20. I have loaded one lot of 200 cases 14 times in the past year. I have ruined exactly one case. I don't do anything that I think is out of the ordinary. I use Lee dies and Hornady One Shot Lube.

Newtire
07-22-2007, 08:23 PM
That was a great article Harry. I always enjoy articles written by people who shoot the guns for fun and not just to please their vendors. Thanks. I am having a fun time with the 32-20.

Lloyd Smale
07-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I doubt he can walk on water but i dont doubt hes forgot more then everyone on this forum combined knows about lever guns and loading them.
Paco may be able to walk on water but he don't proof read to well. There are some bad mistakes in one of his 32-20 articles. I wouldn't touch some of his loads with a ten foot pole. To each their own.

Dragoon
07-22-2007, 09:24 PM
He may indeed. Some of his data is flat wrong though. I emailed him about it more than a year ago. I checked just now and the data is still as it was.

There is a "Class 3" load, for the strongest guns @ 35,200 cup. He has the same powder with a LARGER charge in the section for weaker guns @ 25,000 cup. Same bullet both loads.

I think if he is going to put himself out as an expert he should be a little more cautious in what he is telling people.

Just my .02

Dale53
07-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Harry-O;
I not only read your 32-20 article but also your .32 H&R Mag article. The .32, as most know here, is one of my all time favorites and the revolver cartridge that I shoot most these days. I enjoyed both articles and also found your experience parallels mine with these revolvers.

I was around when the .32 H&R Mag was introduced. I bought one of the Ruger SS (4 5/8" barrel) and my shooting buddy, Frank Siefer, bought the 6.5" barrel. I could shoot the short gun quite well but I could shoot my buddies 6.5 barrel a little easier (easier to shoot a good score with it). I really wanted a double action six gun and told Frank that I'd have one six seconds after one hit the market. The little "J" frame Smith was the first one on the block. It is stainless steel, with adjustable sights and a 4" barrel. It is chambered in .32 H&R Mag. It is apparently a dead ringer for yours. Unfortunately, it was only on the market for a couple of years. I shoot it well, but it is not easy. I believe that it is just a little too light "up front". I subsequently got a SS "J" frame Smith "Match Chief's Special" in .38 Special with adjustable sights, and a 3" full underlugged barrel. Even tho' it has a 3" barrel instead of a more desirable 4" barrel, I can hit with it a little "easier" than the light barreled .32.

They DO, both of them, make wonderful trail guns. Earlier this year I happened onto a Ruger SP101 4" barrel (full underlug) in .32 H&R Mag. THIS isone of the best trail guns out there. However, it is not readily available, either. They are out of production and I don't know if they will run another batch or not. I did see a new one at the Ohio Gun Collectors this past weekend (it was priced at $375). It DOES have a serious difficiency. The rear sight is only adjustable for windage. A good trail gun needs to shoot exactly to the sights. There are custom gun smiths who will fit a proper rear sight and a front to match. However, it is a bit pricy. Open sights, because of vision problems, are not a satisfactory solution for me even if they can be regulated. I had my pistolsmith fit a Weaver base on my Ruger SP101 and I then put a Bushnell Red Dot with a set of light weight rings. This makes a viable trail gun (pretty compact even with the Red Dot). I shall be making a Kydex holster for this outfit shortly. It will carry well and will allow a "Certified Old Fart" to hit well.

I, too, believe that the .32's make a premium choice when it comes to an edible small game handgun cartridge.

Dale53

Newtire
07-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Open sights, because of vision problems, are not a satisfactory solution for me even if they can be regulated. I had my pistolsmith fit a Weaver base on my Ruger SP101 and I then put a Bushnell Red Dot with a set of light weight rings. This makes a viable trail gun (pretty compact even with the Red Dot). I shall be making a Kydex holster for this outfit shortly. It will carry well and will allow a "Certified Old Fart" to hit well.

I, too, believe that the .32's make a premium choice when it comes to an edible small game handgun cartridge.

Dale53

Hi Dale,
Have you noticed a problem with parallax with that Red Dot sight? I was getting pretty nice groups and then they would move. I understand you are not supposed to "aim" these things but use them more like an aperture sight and your eye naturally centers the red dot. I'm curious to know if there is some secret! I think I have it whipped but just wondered if that is a thing you noticed also.
Newtire

9.3X62AL
07-22-2007, 10:21 PM
The 32-20 WCF is a very different cartridge in a wheelgun than in a rifle. Harry O's recommendation for SR-4756 in revolvers was my ticket to accuracy, and was sourced from the same article by Ken Waters he references from "Handloader" magazine 25+ years ago. In a now-sold Police Positive Special and in my 1906 Colt Bisley x 4.75", I used/use 5.5 grains of SR-4756 with 100-115 grain boolits, and they are decently accurate. In the S&W M&P x 5", 6.0 grains is VERY accurate with the 100-115 grainers.

The 32 Magnum is MUCH easier to find an accurate load for, and a wide array of powders do good work. Like the 30 Mauser and 30 Luger, AA-7 is likely the best for high velocity/full potential loads, jacketed or cast. The usual suspects (Bullseye, WW-231, Unique) serve well in mid-range applications. I have some fired brass that will get tried with 115 grainers and AA-7, 2400, and AA-9 will be the fuels. The RCBS 98 grain SWC has been so lights-out accurate for me in the 32 Magnum (and the 32-20 revo's) I haven't done much with the heavier boolits in the 32 Magnum. Mid-range loads in the 32 Mag using the 115-120 grain boolits didn't do so well, maybe a little more pressure might make things fly straighter.

Dale53
07-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Newtire;
I have not noticed any parallax in my Bushnell Red Dots. I have only used them for a short time (three revolvers) and just several hundred shots. I have been VERY happy with mine, tho'. I have been shooting VERY well for me.

Al;
I must say that my 100 gr Keith GB is doing very well at moderate velocities (2.8 grs of 231 in .32 Long cases or 3.2 grs of 231 in .32 H&R Mag cases). At this time I would have to say that my "go to" load is the 100 gr Keith in the .32 Long cases. I have my Dillon 550B running with these and that is most of what I need in the .32's.

However, I will be working with rather heavy loads with the 100 Keith in a couple of weeks or so. I'll report further as to chronograph data and loads.

Dale53

Newtire
07-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Newtire;
I have not noticed any parallax in my Bushnell Red Dots.

Which model do you have Dale?

I know ya get what you pay for so wondering if it's just the quality of product &/or the fact that the tube is 42mm on this Simmons Red Dot I got from Midway.

If the Bushnell works, then I would like to try one of those.

Harry O
07-23-2007, 09:29 AM
> "I used/use 5.5 grains of SR-4756 with 100-115 grain boolits, and they are decently accurate."

SR4756 is a strange powder. It works great from 5.5gr to 6.0gr with a 100gr bullet in a 32-20, but it does NOT work well at lower pressures. I have taken it down to 4.8gr and accuracy was terrible (it started getting worse just below 5.5gr). At higher pressures (used in my rifle), it is also inaccurate and I have reason to believe that the pressure is not uniform -- that it occasionally spikes. That is especially not good in a handgun.

In addition, I have tried it with several bullets and several amounts in the .32 Magnum and never got it to work as well as in the 32-20. I don't know how it can work so well in a 32-20 and not work well at all in a .32 Magnum. It looks like SR4756 is a one gun, one caliber, one load powder.

BTW, I have been experimenting recently with Trail Boss in the 32-20 for my Colt PPS. That is a light duty gun and I have damaged it once 40 years ago and don't want to do it again. I have tried from 2.5gr to 2.9gr with several lead bullets. The top recommended load of 2.8gr is reasonably accurate, but nothing like the SR4756 in heavier guns. The big advantage with it is that it fills the case more than half full. It does do just about as well as Red Dot, Bullseye, and WW231. However, all of them are 1/3 full or less.

Dale53
07-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Newtire;
My Bushnell Red Dots are "Sportsman 1 X 23". They use 25mm rings (1") and have a six minute dot with variable intensity. They came complete with rings and were a close-out at Sportsman's Guide. They cost a whopping $29.97 each plus shipping (I bought four for myself and two for my brother). I believe that they were designed to sell for around $90.00 each.

Here is a picture of one of them on my S&W 16-4 (.32 H&R Mag). They are not showing them in their latest catalog (I get a new one about every fifteen minutes:roll:) but you might give them a call a see if they still have a couple left.

I have no idea how these might hold up with a heavy recoiling revolver but they have a lifetime warranty...

Dale53

Newtire
07-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks Dale,
That's experzactly what I was looking for. I'll keep my eyes open. Went to the site, rejoined the club and got one on it's way. That was way easy! Sorry to steal so much thread chevyiron. My ears perk up when I see .32.
thanks again,
Newtire

9.3X62AL
07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Harry--

There must be some sort of pressure envelope or environment that causes SR-4756 to "bracket" as you describe. I have also seen the same results with the powder when lightened or increased between 5.5 and 6.0 grains in the 32-20. I'm just glad that Mr. Waters pointed the loads out, 'cause they were instantly accurate for me.

Newtire
07-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Newtire;
My Bushnell Red Dots are "Sportsman 1 X 23". They use 25mm rings (1") and have a six minute dot with variable intensity. They came complete with rings and were a close-out at Sportsman's Guide. They cost a whopping $29.97 each plus shipping (I bought four for myself and two for my brother). I believe that they were designed to sell for around $90.00 each.
Dale53

My RedDot sight came from Sportsmans Guide and just because I am such a real special customer (I figure) he threw in a set of rings. They also suckered me into a buyers club membership....but all in all, it worked great.

I think the 42 mm of the Simmons allows for alot more error simply because the circle is larger and the dot doesn't center quite as easily-like using a larger aperture...

I was able to keep them in tight clusters and had 3 groups of 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" at 25 yds for 6 shots. I put 150 rounds thru before having to go and the last one was still punching out the center.

Now will have to work on "beagling" a few of my .30 plinker molds since they only need another .001" to make the .312" mark.

Thanks for the tip & anyone else, they have a few left.

Dale53
07-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Newtire;
I am truly happy that you like the new Red Dot. I went to the range today, the first time after eye surgery. My first target with the Ruger SP101 was a 97 with 6 "X's". I was still a bit wobbly but really am getting "new life" out of shooting thanks to the Red Dots. That is one of the best buys that I have seen in a long time.

Back to the original thread:
I have not used 4756 since my bad experience (related here before) some twenty or thirty years ago. I am just gun shy and will continue to work with powders that I consider more reliable. By no means am I suggesting that anyone else should feel the same, but that's how it is with me.

Dale53