PDA

View Full Version : Lot of brass - lot of different flash hole sizes

lurch
07-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Got a question on a bunch of 45ACP brass I have recently acquired.

It's mostly once fired with a few obvious ones that have been around the block a time or two. I have enough of like head stamps to segregate it that way but was noticing that there are different size flash holes even among cases of like headstamp, so they are obviously not from the same lot. Not wanting to take the time to sort them out by flash hole size after cleaning & de-capping each time, I was considering drilling them all out to the largest size I find in each head stamp and calling it good enough.

Anything inherently wrong with this approach? Yes, I'm basically lazy and want to minimize processing time (flash hole size sorting) later on down the road. No hot loads for this stuff, just midrange practice loads.

IcerUSA
07-17-2007, 12:45 AM
I size all my 45ACP brass flash holes with the same size drill, also remove the burrs on the inside of the flash hole. There just stamped out and I think the punches get dull and worn so the hole sizes very quite abit. Just my $.02 worths :)

Ricochet
07-17-2007, 09:39 AM
I mix together all makes of .45 brass, even a few steel cases in with the brass (they load just the same as brass, if they're Boxer primed and not rusty) and don't sweat the small stuff. Doubt I could tell the difference.

SharpsShooter
07-17-2007, 09:43 AM
I do the same as Ricochet and have never seen any difference.

SS

44man
07-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Thats what I say-- does it matter with the .45ACP?

BOOM BOOM
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
HI,
I just run a drill dit in & :Fire: out of all my rifle brass , use a wire gage bit the size of largest hole you have that makes them all 1 size. pistol brass I don't bother with.

lurch
07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
OK - I get the picture. The engineer in me is becoming a little too anal again... [smilie=1: One great big lot of brass it is.

Thanks for the feedback.