PDA

View Full Version : rcbs lock out die or rcbs powder check die

ROCKET
01-26-2013, 02:18 AM
Anyone using the lock out die or the rcbs powder check die ? Can yo give me any feedback ?

ReloaderFred
01-26-2013, 02:55 AM
I use the RCBS Lock Out die, because after reloading over 750,000 rounds of ammunition since 1963, I had my very first squib load last summer in the biggest match in the world in my shooting venue. Now everything that is loaded on my progressive press is done with the Lock Out die in place.

I opted for the Lock Out die because with the powder check die you have to always watch the rod on the die to catch an under, or over, load. With the Lock Out die, it just stops the press cold, and you have to find what's stopping it, which is usually an empty case that should have had powder in it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

cheese1566
01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Ditto on what Fred said.

I use LockOuts on my pistol progressives and a check die on a PiggyBack2 used for 223. I consider the LockOut Die for pistols, and the check dies for rifles...

1bluehorse
01-26-2013, 01:13 PM
I use the powder cop die....it isn't a big deal for me to watch the rod go up and down in the die, I'm also watching for primer feed also. Handle goes down, case enters die,rod goes up, handle goes up primer slide moves forward, primer/no primer...pretty tough..the one thing I would be curious about is at what charge level does the lockout die "lock". 1/2gr., 2gr., no powder, how about to much powder, what's the limits there? I know on the powder cop die it takes about a full grain to see the difference..(depending on powder, easier to see on bulkier powders)

ReloaderFred
01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
The lockout die works in the same range as the Powder Cop die. The difference is not having to watch the die while reaching for another case and bullet. All my brass is primed off press, so when I'm loading, I'm working at a pretty brisk pace, since most of my reloading is done in batches of either 1,000 or 2,000, depending on the caliber.

Hope this helps.

Fred

1bluehorse
01-27-2013, 11:31 AM
The lockout die works in the same range as the Powder Cop die. The difference is not having to watch the die while reaching for another case and bullet. All my brass is primed off press, so when I'm loading, I'm working at a pretty brisk pace, since most of my reloading is done in batches of either 1,000 or 2,000, depending on the caliber.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I can see at the level you're reloading the lockout die would work better..I don't generally run more than a couple hundred at a time even on the progressive press so I'm probably running at a more sedate speed. (anything over 300 rounds in an hour would be really clicking along for me)..actually for most of my loading chores I could do nicely with just the turret press (and usually do, and for what I would call "more precise " hunting loads) (handgun) because you can easily check each step, but run the progessives at times just because I like to watch them work...may sound a bit strange but I think they're just fun to operate...if you would, test that lockout die with charge variances and I'll do the same with the "cop" die, let's see how good they work..this is not a competition I'm truly curious as to how accurate they both are..think I'll just stick it in my ss press and throw charges in the scale and move up in, what, 1gr. encrements??? Hmmmm, might be interesting..

1bluehorse
01-27-2013, 07:27 PM
O.K....just ran a couple tests of the powder cop die. Placed it in a single stage press and tried it with 3 different powders, Trail Boss, 2400, and Unique..used what would be a normal load for me. 6gr. TB...could see changes in 1/2gr increments from 5-5 1/2-6......2400 charge was 18gr. Had to look real close to see a 1/2gr. change, a full gr. was easier. Unique was about the same as TB, starting at 8gr and going up to 9 1/2, could see the 1/2gr change. If the "cap" on the up and down rod was changed to an "O" ring like whats on the indicator rod (for want of a better term) I believe the changes would be much easier to see...might try something like that or a pointer of some sort.

Obviously finer gr. powder like 2400 and others are harder to detect small changes, where the larger grain powders (Unique, TB, etc) are much easier. It will work for me as I do not load near max loads on my progressive presses anyway..actually I'm a bit surprised it was that sensitive...

d6693
02-05-2013, 11:49 PM
I started with a powder cop die but had a double charge target load slide by when a less experienced family member used the LNL AP. Fortunately it only made a lot of flash and recoil but no damage was done to the firearm or shooter. Since then I have used the lockout die and it has saved me on several occasions, mostly from squib loads with no powder in the case. I definitely prefer the lockout die over the powder cop for pistol reloads.

300winmag
02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I also started with the cop die and switched to the lock die, after a couple of squibs, no double charges! There will be a time you don't look at the cop die for one reason or another. Lock out for me, it has saved me on a few no powder loads in the last 7 years.

ROGER4314
02-17-2013, 01:36 AM
I have a lock out type and a visual tattle tail type and don't like either one! I only load one round at a time on my RL550B's because I'm more confident of QC when I load singly. The powder sensors always retain a flake or two of powder on them and sprinkle those flakes onto the shell plate. Powder flakes then dent primers at stage one. It's not worth the problems that it causes.

I've attached mirrors to my bullet seat stage and a glance at the mirror will affirm that the correct charge is present. I just don't get in a hurry when I load and have never had a squib or overcharge in over 40 years of loading.

Flash