PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Hornady LNL AP

drklynoon
01-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Well, I took the progressive step and ordered a LNL AP from Midway. The deal was fair. I only wish they had more shellplates in stock. I'm gonna try a #1 for .45 acp. If it doesn't work I'm not out anything because I have a couple long guns that use the same plate. I didn't order any of the accouterments. Now for the long wait lol. I'm excited.

LUBEDUDE
01-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Congrats!

I have to ask though; did you truly WANT a LNL? Or was it because Dillon is back ordered 4-5 weeks?

I ask because I seem to remember that you had some interest in 550's a little while back.

drklynoon
01-26-2013, 02:42 AM
LOL, Na this was a conscious decision. I had serious interest in the Dillon and didn't know that they were backed up. Their site said they were a little behind lol. I did a lot of research and concluded that the Hornady was a better press for me. I like the 5 stations. I also like the die changing system. The cost of cartridge conversions was also a factor. For the Hornady I can change the powder cavity for 10 bucks and go to loading as long as it weighs correct. With the dillon you kinda have to buy another powder measure. Basically, the Hornady press fit my budget better and I liked it's features. The Dillon 650 was outta my budget and it is unfair to compare the 550 to the Hornady but because of finances that was were I was. I didn't settle though. I do like what the AP brings to the table.

LUBEDUDE
01-26-2013, 03:53 AM
Good, glad you weren't offended. And glad you did not settle for second best for YOU. ( I don't want start any color wars or bashing here)

Hope you get it quick so you get to having fun!

Wal'
01-26-2013, 07:10 AM
I use the #1 plate for.45 acp without problems & also the .243, 22-250 etc

drklynoon
01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Cool wal, I appreciate the info. I figured at the worst the case won't eject consistently. Thats why god made thumbs lol. Na LD I'm a Vet I don't get offended very easily. It's kinda funny how those arguments go. I always thought that each person had their own quirks and that was why there is more than one style to almost everything. I mean if we were all alike then there would only be one kinda toilet seat right? lol I'm tryin to make up my mind on whether or not to sell my ol' t-mag and the LEE challenger and use the proceeds to get a nice single stage for rifle.

chsparkman
01-26-2013, 12:23 PM
You're gonna love that LNLAP drklynoon. I've had mine for just over a year now. You probably already know this, but here's a few suggestions.
1. Read everything through very carefully and watch Hornady's helpful videos.
2. Keep a couple cans of Hornady's dry lube on hand.
3. Buy extra shell retainer springs. I went through several of these when I was first figuring things out.
4. Try to find one of those systems for quickly loading the primer tube. I found one through Gunbroker and it's been a real time saver.
5. Have fun! It's a great system to use.

drklynoon
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
I didn't order the Hornady dry lube and am going to have to rectify that mistake. I watched all the Hornady videos and they were ok but I would have liked to see a little more trouble shooting stuff. I've been scouring the Internet for a couple weeks and there is tons of stuff on this system. I did not see a quick system for the primer feed and was content with using the drop tubes I have and the ones that it comes with but if a better system is available I'll look into it. I am a little confused about the powder drop station and whether I can use a LEE expander in that hole or not. I'm sure I'll have some questions or even suggestions after I get it and start using it. Yeah, I'm excited lol.

Lefty SRH
01-26-2013, 09:40 PM
I enjoy my LNL!

drklynoon
01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Hopefully I will as well lefty.

41 mag fan
01-27-2013, 09:59 AM
You'll want the case feeder...trust me...it took me a whole 1 month to figure that one out and 2 weeks after that i had one set up.
it can get confusing if you're trying to load quickly and you have to load a case, then a bullet, pull the handle, load a case, then a bullet pull the handle.

drklynoon
01-27-2013, 12:28 PM
I won't be cutting the ear off for the case feeder for sure. I was originally interested in a 550B because it was not fully automated and I like getting my hands dirty ;-) I have read others who want to keep their hand on the handle and place case and boolit with their other hand. For some reason I think I'd like to place boolit with my right and case with my left. This sounds easier to get in a rhythm. In order to do this I'll need to use the expander in the powder drop and won't be able to use a cop die. I'll probably just get use to doing it with my left hand and keep my right on the handle. Technique is such a big deal with reloading that I love watching videos to pick up little tricks and such.

Gliden07
01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
I just set my LNL up yesterday got it all dialed in including the powder measure. Ran a few empty cases thru it. I had to adjust the left Pawl to get the Shellplate timing right. Ready to go now (I think!!)! Waiting for the Boolits (9MM) I cast Tuesday to harden for a week before I load some test rounds. HUGE step up from my Pro 1000!! Still gonna keep the Lee for dedicated 45 press for now. Good Luck with it when you get it! One thing I would suggest is to start looking/buying the Shellplates you want to use. It took me forever to get the one I wanted!!

drklynoon
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
I got a #1 shellpate from midway and a #36. I could have got one for my .45 colt but opted against it for now. I still have to order some one shot and might throw the other plate on that order. I really wanted a number #6 but they are out of stock everywhere I can find and I refuse to pay 50 bucks for one on Ebay. I'm going to keep my Lyman up and running until I can get shellplates for everything I need. I can't wait to get it lol. So, do you like yours so far? How's the machining?

buyobuyo
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I have a LNL-AP and enjoy it a lot. I use a #45 shell plate for loading .45 ACP. Hornady lists the #45 on their website as the one to use for .45 ACP and #1 for .30-06/.308/etc. Before I started loading .45, I called up Hornady to see what the difference was. They said that the mouths of #45 plate were slightly different from the #1 plate for better reliability when using the case feeder.

As was mentioned, extra retainer springs are good to have. They come in a 3-pack for <$10. Also, pick up a small tube of graphite to lube the bottom of the shell plates. Finally, keep an eye on the bolt that holds the shell plate down. It comes loose after awhile. I generally check it when I start loading and then whenever I top off the primer tube.

bbqncigars
01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
I put a split lockwasher under the shell plate bolt to keep it from loosening. I highly advise you to go here (http://www.inlinefabrication.com/) for some goodies to make your AP easier and safer to use.

drklynoon
01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I appreciate the link bbqncigars. Midway sent me the Email, it's on its way. My excitement knows no bounds.

buyobuyo
01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Haha.

Forgot to mention in my last post. When you get the press give Hornady a call and ask them to send you a set of shims for under the powder measure. A lot of people have problems with it rotating and unlocking the bushing. Mine does it, and I have the shims. Just haven't got around to putting them on.

drklynoon
01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks buyobuyo. My list so far is case retention springs, powder measure shims, and an indexing paw. Hopefully they will send this with no questions asked lol.

Gliden07
01-27-2013, 11:15 PM
I got a #1 shellpate from midway and a #36. I could have got one for my .45 colt but opted against it for now. I still have to order some one shot and might throw the other plate on that order. I really wanted a number #6 but they are out of stock everywhere I can find and I refuse to pay 50 bucks for one on Ebay. I'm going to keep my Lyman up and running until I can get shellplates for everything I need. I can't wait to get it lol. So, do you like yours so far? How's the machining?

So far it seems like a really good press. The machine work seems very nice. I did make a modification to it after talking to a few people. I was told the small and large primer shuttles hang up sometimes, it was suggested to break the sharp edges and polish the shuttles and then lube them with some dry lube, which I did. I'll give you some more info Tuesday or Wednesday when I load my test loads. I really think I'm gonna like the LNL bushing system for changing calibers. Next thing to get will be a Powder Cop and the micrometer gauge for the powder drop (for Caliber changes). But that won't be for a little bit gotta save my Nickels!! Little bit at a time!!

P.S. I saw a #16 Shellplate sell for $152.50 on FleaBay!!

drklynoon
01-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Gliden, LOL yeah the ebay shell plates are ridiculous. I read about the primer shuttles as well and that just makes sense to me. I'll be smoothing mine up as well. I know what you mean about saving nickels to upgrade. I'll be doing the same thing. For dri-lube, did you use the one-shot or did you use something more hardware store available? I'm planning on washing everything with dawn but am unsure about what dri-lube to use if I can't get one-shot. I haven't made up my mind about the powder cop die yet. I don't know which is better, the RCBS or the Hornady. I'm also considering making some PTX expanders but that won't be for a while.

Gliden07
01-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Gliden, LOL yeah the ebay shell plates are ridiculous. I read about the primer shuttles as well and that just makes sense to me. I'll be smoothing mine up as well. I know what you mean about saving nickels to upgrade. I'll be doing the same thing. For dri-lube, did you use the one-shot or did you use something more hardware store available? I'm planning on washing everything with dawn but am unsure about what dri-lube to use if I can't get one-shot. I haven't made up my mind about the powder cop die yet. I don't know which is better, the RCBS or the Hornady. I'm also considering making some PTX expanders but that won't be for a while.

I used the Hornady One-Shot Dri-Lube because it was a no brainier, Hornady said it was approved for there machine (obviously). You could probably use Brake cleaner and some Teflon or Graphite type spray lube on all of the metal components? My only concern would be the Powder Hopper plastic; would the Brake cleaner haze it or mess it up I bet Tuner cleaner would work good too (if you can still find it?)? That's why I used what they suggested mainly. I think the dish detergent is a good idea but your gonna defiantly wanna put some kind of lube on it for rust protection. As far as the Powder Cop die goes jury is still out on Hornady or RCBS, I liked the idea of the Dillon one (audible alarm)and I have seen modified versions made to work with LNL but there expensive to experiment with IMO. Anyway on my way to school keep me updated on your progress!!

TheCelt
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
I have both the Dillon 650 and the Hornady LNL AP and I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. LNL AP is a lot easier to set up when changing calibers but I do like the Dillon priming system a lot better. Because the primer seating ram is under the shellplate in the LNL AP it will occasionally get a piece of trash in it causing it to fail to retract from the shellplate and jamming the system. it's easy to clean though and if ya don't bend the guide rod by going to fast it won't harm anything. I do have a seperate powder system (one for pistols, one for rifles) because they require different funnel tubes. I love both of these presses!!!!

drklynoon
01-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Press came in this afternoon. Everything looks to be here. The only issue was the powder measure hopper was not installed square so it has some scratches on the outside of the tube. It's no big deal though. I disassembled the powder measure and washed it. I've read through the directions but have too much to do to go to the shop and go any further with it tonight. I'm all kinds of happy.

wool1
01-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Was in Cabela's in St. Louis yesterday and they had some shellplates in stock. Sorry, I didn't look which ones. I have the 4 or 5 I use and just noticed them in passing. Might be worth a call to them.

41 mag fan
01-30-2013, 09:33 PM
One thing I did was to bend the guide rod. My sm primer arm got stuck and I forced it without knowing....if it feels tight, don't push it, stop and look to see whats binding. Quick call to Hornady and I had 2 sent to me the next day.
One thing on my primer tube, I leave the screw loose, otherwise it wont let the slide move freely.
Best thing I ever did though was buy the case feeder. To easy to get messed up, case, bullet, pull handle, case, bullet pull handle. Least bit of distraction, you forgot a case, then you forgot a bullet.

drklynoon
01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Wool, I lived in Belleville for 7 years. I miss it there sometimes. Here in Valdosta GA we have a gander mountain and they do not carry much in the way of reloading supplies. I've never tried to call an individual franchise store to see if they would ship something to me. I may give that a try.
41 mag fan, I'll try and be real careful when initially setting it up. Good tip on the shuttle. My small primer shuttle seems to have a small ridge around the bottom of it so I'll probably break that edge but other than that it's pretty clean. They even sent me two extra retainer springs and an extra primer wire attachment piece.

metho
01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
I love my hornady lnl when it's not breaking. I've broken 2 primer shuttles, 2 pawls and the indexing wheel. Hornady did replace everything that has broken but I have since ordered a spare part of each piece that can break from midway just to have on hand.

drklynoon
01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Metho, I hope to not have those kind of problems with my press. I would think that if you are breaking indexing paws and the wheel, you may have an alignment issue. Maybe the ram is not centered correctly from the factory or something.

drklynoon
02-02-2013, 09:56 PM
An update, I assembled my press and mounted it today. I ran 50 .32 H&R Mags through it. The powder measure is awesome. I love it. I had a little hick-up in the indexing to work out though. Intermittently would not index all the way to the next detent. I re-lubed the balls on the shell plate and tried again, it was better but it still needed help finishing it's index on the top and the bottom stroke. This may have been due to my handle speed being awfully slow. I adjusted on the index paws after I was done with the 50 and it seemed to act right but it seemed right before I started loading as well. Its no big deal or anything just a little adjustment and experience with it should cure this hitch. The primer system worked flawlessly. I also started to build a cabinet to go over my bench. It is a shelf right now. All in all a great day.

VHoward
02-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Awesome. Minor glitches happen to all the brands.

bbqncigars
02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
I love my AP, especially since the ergo roller handle was installed. Mucho easier on the rebuilt right shoulder. FWIW, good lighting over the shell plate really helps detecting any anomaly in the powder drop.

drklynoon
02-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Yeah I have a desk lamp that is next to my press but I am considering the led kit and swing out two tray system from In-line Mfg.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-02-2013, 11:11 PM
I love my LNL AP. Belleville huh? I am about 20 minutes from Belleville.

drklynoon
02-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Yeah I was stationed at Scott AFB for seen years. I loved it there and would move back in a minute. I go back periodically to see friends and can't believe how much it has grown.

Bonz
02-03-2013, 01:28 AM
I ordered my Hornady LNL on Jan 21, still on backorder at BuffaloArms, waiting patiently...

Oreo
02-03-2013, 02:22 AM
1. If the shell plate spring breaks its not really broken. The ends thread together.

2. Buy at least a 10pk of both the die bushings and the hornady lock-rings. You'll use them eventually. Hornady makes the very best lock-rings. I've replaced all the ones that came with my dies with the hornadys.

3. Go to powderfunnels.com and order yourself a universal PTX. Works way better then hornady's caliber specific PTXs and cheaper too.

4. Hornady ships their press with the "rifle" rotor in the powder measure. That will work for loading pistol ammo but charge weight consistency will be poor for some powders (unique). Buying the "pistol" rotor helps a lot in this regard.

5. Hornady also makes a "bench rest" rotor that is better for rifle cartridges up to .30-06. But to get the rotor you have to buy the whole "bench-rest" powder measure. When you get to a point that you want a second powder measure buy the bench rest version. Its only a few bucks more. Then you'll have all three rotors which is handy. Also, buy the "case activated powder drop" linkage and you'll be able to swap in your second powder measure just like the rest of your dies which is very convienient when switching from loading pistol rounds to rifle rounds and back.

6. Another solution to the die bushings working loose is to replace the O-rings with slightly thicker O-rings. Cheap & it works.

drklynoon
02-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks oreo, I'm a big fan of LEE lock rings but I must say the hornady ones seem to be pretty nice. I don't shoot much jacketed at all so the universal expander from powderfunnels wouldn't really work because it is a case mouth belling tool rather than expander and I hate sizing my boolits with my case. I switched the rotor out immediately for pistols because that is what I am going to use the press for. I also see no need for the micrometer insert if I buy the standard one for most of my calibers. I've got a couple powder measures now and am thinking about getting rid of most of them and buying another hornady specifically for rifle, I appreciate your feedback on the benchrest rotor. I may do that. The only thing I load for in rifles that may be too big would be 8X56R. Everything else should be in the benchrest rotor's wheel house.

kostner
02-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Ordered a Hornady LNL from Midway but the whole world is on back order. Took the advice of a few LNL owners and order ten bushings and a pack of springs. Looks like my order will grow again with the addition of dry lube. Have two SDB's and a Lee Classic Turret but the LNL just caught my eye and just have to have one. If it works out I'll sell the SDB's to pay for the new press.

drklynoon
02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Mine works pretty well; however, I am still having some issue with the case eject of .32 H&R mags. I'm going to move my seating die to the last station and I think this will cure it. I softened the transition point for the spring and it got better but it still hung up on three positions of the shell plate. My .45's are not doing this so it may just be an issue with the light tall cases and the shell plate for the .32. I really like the operation of the press and would recommend one for most experienced re-loaders. The only other beef I have is the shadow over the traditional seating die station this makes it hard to visually check the powder. Some guys use a led system to fix that. The powder measure is great and I have not had any problems with the primer system at all.

azrednek
02-18-2013, 11:56 PM
You're gonna love that LNLAP drklynoon. I've had mine for just over a year now. You probably already know this, but here's a few suggestions.
1. Read everything through very carefully and watch Hornady's helpful videos.

Hornady's video's are good. A few home-made I've watched on You tube were utterly stupid, time wasting but if you have some time to burn there are some helpful you Tube videos.

2. Keep a couple cans of Hornady's dry lube on hand.

Hornady's dry lube is good but I've used a PB Blaster brand of dry lube that works equally well. Spray graphite works well but I only used it as a last resort running out of Hornady's lube late at night and stores closed. I purchased the PB dry lube the following morning from Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember which store) after ordering 2 cans of Hornady via the net.

3. Buy extra shell retainer springs. I went through several of these when I was first figuring things out.

Great advice but I've used some pathetic looking springs and they worked fine until the replacements arrived.

4. Try to find one of those systems for quickly loading the primer tube. I found one through Gunbroker and it's been a real time saver.

I'd like to know more about the device. Can anybody provide a link or info about the device?

5. Have fun! It's a great system to use.

More great advice!! If I can add my 2 cents, be patient. Think quality first and as you learn to operate it efficiently the speed and quantity will drastically improve. Once you have everything set and operating smoothly you will be surprised how fast you can load a few hundred rds. I strongly encourage you to invest in a powder cop die and keep your eye on the powder measure level. If your Hornady die does not flare the brass large enough to seat a cast Boolit. Send the die along with some samples of your home cast Boolits to Hornady. So far Hornady has sent me 2 expanders no charge.

I bought my Lock N Load during the height of the previous shortage. I put all my Lee brand progressive tools on Ebay. I raised so much $$'s selling the Lee tools. I almost felt guilty taking the money from the desperate hand-loaders anxious to get their hands on any scarce reloading tools.

Send in your registration card asap and get a customer number. I was told by a young lady taking my call to Hornady. Recent purchasers of Hornady equipment get moved to the front of the back order line for shell plates and other accessories. You'll pay a few more bux ordering directly from Hornady but you will get the parts, shell plates especially much faster.

I also used the #1 for 45ACP before getting the correct one. It works just fine outside of an occasional hang-up ejecting cleanly, usually caused by a burr on the brass' rim. I believe I posted here or possibly another group. S&B brand small pistol primers will NOT work in my LNL. The slider hangs up. I haven't yet to take the time to figure out why. I have never had the same problem with any other brand including Tula and Wolf. My favorite when available are Winchester. I've found some Lee brand sizing dies a bit to short for my LNL. If I remember correctly it was 32ACP, 380 and 9MM (Mak and Lugar). The problem being not enough threads left to properly tighten the lock ring.

Outside of the few problems mentioned above I have no complaints and am 100% totally satisfied. Don't hesitate to call Hornady's 800# if you run into a problem. They helped me through a couple of operator errors.

drklynoon
02-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I sent my card in with the bullet form. I didn't know about the preference thing, that rocks. I also was unaware of the expander deal that seriously rocks. I haven't been able to get the dies I want so maybe when I get my stuff back from Hornady I'll be able to order direct from them. I haven't tried any Hornady dies yet so I am excited about trying a new set of dies. It's always good too hear of good customer service.

Muddydogs
02-19-2013, 01:17 PM
I like my LnL and have loaded close to 10000 rounds on it over the last 2 years. I load 38,357,40,44,and 223 right now. Have the stuff for 45 but have not loaded any yet. I have only broken one spring early on before I had the technique to take a case out down.
I have never seen the need for a case feeder as I insert a new case with my left hand while priming and then insert a bullet in station 4 while moving the press handle down. When using a bullet feeder die there is defiantly no need for a case feeder as the left hand has little to do. I did make a bracket that mounts to my bench, comes behind the bullet bin and out in front of press where I hang a small bin containing bullets and another bin for brass so my supplies are right in front for easy access. If interested I will post pics of the bracket.
I found early on that too easy set up that a powder die for each caliber was in order as well as the PTX stop that goes on the side of the powder measure. I also buy one powder measure adjustment stem per caliber to leave set for the charge weight.
I purchase all the extra pawls, springs and what not that people are always claiming to break when I first got my press but the only thing I have ever broken was that one shell plate retaining spring, it’s nice to have a few extra parts though. I know one thing that little spring on the powder measure can get away from you if you are not careful so having an extra is a good idea.
Your handle speed should not affect the shell plate timing. I tend to move the handle slow and have no problem with timing at all. Your pawls just need a little more adjustment.
With a little extra buffing the bullet feeder dies will drop lubed cast bullets just fine, there is a good YouTube video explaining the easy process to buff the inside of the collets. I use the Hornady PTX expander to expand the case for lead bullets with good results, the Hornady one is more of an expander then the powderfunnel one that’s just a beller. I did use the powderfunnel PTX with some 38 jacketed bullets I loaded and now the powderfunnel has a groove worn into it that will need to be buffed out if I use it for anything bigger then 38. Hornady bullet feeder dies do come with the appropriate PTX.
You might find that you need to take the powder measure apart and buff out the paint / coating inside the chamber. I was having trouble throwing Unique charges until I buffed out the chamber to a smooth mirror like finish and now I can keep Unique to +- 1 grain. Sometimes a little vibration on the powder hopper helps the powder flow, I have used an aquarium air pump strapped to the outside of the powder hopper with good results and am now experimenting with a small corded vibrator that I can but inside the hopper with the control and cord outside the hopper so it can be turned on and off.

azrednek
02-19-2013, 03:12 PM
One problem, not a real big deal I failed to mention is 45 Auto Rim. The majority of the loaded 45AR rounds do not want to eject clearly. It is really just a minor nuisance, only slowing me down slightly removing the loaded rounds by hand at the last station. It is just a minor problem I've learned to live with. I could probably get it working perfectly or better with 45AR working on the shell plate with a file or Dremal but I'd rather deal with it rather than risk over-doing it and risk possibly destroying the hard to locate shell plate.

The shell plate for 45 AR was the last one to arrive of the several I ordered directly from Hornady after registering my LNL. The free-be bullets were also a bit slow arriving but being that the price was right. I didn't mind waiting.

drklynoon
02-19-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't mind waiting for free either lol. My ejection problem is shellplate sensitive. It is always the same three holes. I did get it down to two at one point but it didn't last. The best way I can explain it is that the case remains canted towards the outside of the press this keeps the spring above the head of the case. Tey eject but they flip out backwards or someting just as unpredictable. If I let it do it the added friction from the dirty eject keeps the shellplate from completing its index. All I have to do is change the seating die station so that the case will not be canted and it should eject clean.

Oreo
02-21-2013, 12:58 AM
A note about preventing double charges and no-charges:

Once you set-up and learn your LNL-AP press you'll find a comfortable rhythm to your loading. This rhythm makes the most consistent ammo with almost no risk of major charging errors. The press with its auto-indexed shell plate is designed for this and does it very reliably.

Where you need to be extraordinarily careful is when you have something break your rhythm. A defective case, or forgetting to seat a primer for instance requires removal from the shell plate mid-process, and may require fiddling with the other cases on the shell plate. This is where dangerous loading errors can occur. Be extremely careful and certain before resuming loading that each case on the shell plate is in the correct position and is ready for the station it is about to enter. When in doubt clear the shell plate entirely and start fresh. Place the removed cases in a pull-down bin for sorting out later.

Wal'
02-21-2013, 01:58 AM
^^^^^^^^^
Exzaaaacly what he said..........if your concentration is broken, pause stop & check all. :)

dilly
02-21-2013, 03:36 AM
Muddy dogs I would be interested in pictures of your bracket.