PDA

View Full Version : Saeco style hardness tester

miner49r
01-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Another treasure is what appears to be a Saeco copy lead hardness lester. There are no markings what so ever. The split plunger has vernier style lines but has no numeric markings.

It looks like something he would have made but may actually be an Early Saeco. (or other brand)

I would like to identify this unit in hopes of finding instructions for its use.

STP22
01-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I have the earlier Saeco hardness tester with graduation marks with numbers and the sticker still on the body. Yours does appear to be a copy of same.

The body diameter of my Saeco is 1.00 inch, and the body (minus the adjusment screw) is 4.320 in length.

The Saeco label reads: Saeco Lead Hardness Tester U.S. Pat. No. 3,524,343

Do a Google patent search on that number for a drawing.

I can send a copy of the instruction sheet in the hope that it would help. Let me know.

Regards,

Scott

miner49r
01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey STP,
I have searched hi and low but failed to find the instructions anywhere. I will take you up on your offer.
PMsent. Thx.

runfiverun
01-27-2013, 03:35 AM
that will operate similar to a saeco.
you will however need to make yourself a cheat sheet for that particular set-up.
i see a middle line and some graduations on the little rod in the center.
so you'll have to do some figuring.

miner49r
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
runner,
It was a pain to take that photo and get the graduations to show. There appears to be two marks on the main body and the long hash mark on the major scale is the fourth (or 6th) hash mark. The minor scale has only five hash marks.

Hopfully the instructions frm STP will shed some light on how it operates. I have Pb, COWW, and Lyman #2 test I can test and try my patience.

There is a merchant selling some lead who is sending me some samples.