PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lee Pot Spout Freeze

Rich22
01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Gentlemen

I am brand new to this and hopefully you guys can help me. Have a new Lee 20 Lb pot and have found that unless I have the temp in excess of 725 (have thermometer) that the spout will solidify and I have to hit it with a torch to get it to flow again, It will then solidify within about 45 seconds unless I pour more. What can be done to prevent this or could I be doing something wrong?

Thank you

OuchHot!
01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
I haven't had that problem with my Lee but my pro-melt used to do that. I wrapped the pizzle with some insulation and that seemed to fix it. I had to clean it very thoroughly first.

Frozone
01-25-2013, 05:52 PM
I second the insulation.
BUT it doesn't do a lot on the LEE 20#.
You need to leave the bottom open so the handle can move up and down.
About all you can do is put insulation under the cover on the bottom.
About 1/4" thick.

You can use fiberglass for this, but it's marginal,
Ceramic wool is a better material.

I got about 25º from adding the insulation.
I get freeze about 675º after insulating.

snuffy
01-25-2013, 07:27 PM
What's the temp in the room? Outside? Ambient temp at too low a temp can wreck havoc on the spout freeze. Especially if there's a slight breeze!

500MAG
01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
What's the temp in the room? Outside? Ambient temp at too low a temp can wreck havoc on the spout freeze. Especially if there's a slight breeze!

I agree with Snuffy. I use the same pot never had the problem. Then again, I live in South Florida.

dragon813gt
01-25-2013, 07:43 PM
I get it if there is any debris in the spout. And sometimes when I leave lead in it and remelt it from a solid. Once I get going it's fine. I use a butane grill lighter. Takes all of five seconds to free it up.

Rich22
01-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Was in garage temp approx. 60 degrees. Live in orlando so not exactly freezing here. I will clean it and try again.

500MAG
01-25-2013, 10:03 PM
You may want to keep a bent wire, like a paper clip handy to run up thru the spout. It can clear any debris that may be in there. What source of lead are you using? If you are melting wheel weights, that have not been smelted and fluxed separately, you can really clog it up. Your right, 60 degrees won't cause a problem.

Rich22
01-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I will try that, source is clean previously fluxed SOWW lead. I will see if I can dig up some kind of wire that is the right diameter, tried a nail but even the smallest brad I have is too large.

You may want to keep a bent wire, like a paper clip handy to run up thru the spout. It can clear any debris that may be in there. What source of lead are you using? If you are melting wheel weights, that have not been smelted and fluxed separately, you can really clog it up. Your right, 60 degrees won't cause a problem.

snuffy
01-25-2013, 11:23 PM
I will try that, source is clean previously fluxed SOWW lead.

Well, that right there is the reason! SOWW, I interpret as stick on wheel weights. Right? They're nearly pure lead, so they can easily bend to conform to the inside of mag wheel rims. Because of that, the lead must be hotter than clip on WW.

Turn the heat up until you no longer have freezes.

DLCTEX
01-25-2013, 11:26 PM
A paper clip is the right size and length.

Rich22
01-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Ahh I did not know that, everything I have read said keep the lead sub 700 for the most part, I will try cranking the sucker up and see what happens, likely this will be the only SOWW I use since I will need harder alloy for the most part.

Well, that right there is the reason! SOWW, I interpret as stick on wheel weights. Right? They're nearly pure lead, so they can easily bend to conform to the inside of mag wheel rims. Because of that, the lead must be hotter than clip on WW.

Turn the heat up until you no longer have freezes.

ranger1962
01-26-2013, 08:11 AM
this is what I have heard also I do know that when my pot gets over 700 it really starts dripping

KCcactus
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
+1 on the paperclip. I keep one and a pair of pliers with my casting set-up. I have a Lee 10lb and a 20lb.

Kraschenbirn
01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Have the same problem with my Lyman 20-pounder. Best solution I've found is to cast at a little higher temp...and, just as a back-up, work, I keep a butane 'mini-torch' on the bench while I'm casting. A couple passes with the tip of the flame and I'm back in business.

Bill