PDA

View Full Version : Pipe lead hardness?

marc257
01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm just now getting into casting so my level of knowledge is just above that of an ingot. However, I know that there is a wealth of information to be found here. My question is about pipe lead. I've read that WW lead is too hard to use for casting round ball for blackpowder rifles. Would pipe lead be of appropriate hardness for this purpose?

Thanks,
Chris

alrighty
01-25-2013, 03:36 PM
All the pipe lead I have ever found is dead soft and great for round balls.Nice find and glad to see another Kentuckian on here.

Mooseman
01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Lead pipe is usually dead soft lead. I cast roundballs out of WW because they are patched when loaded anyway, they dont deform from being rammed home and they work just fine. Mini and Maxi balls get the pure soft lead.

Old Caster
01-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Plumbing pipe is pure lead and is from 5 to 6 BHN as long as you don't have any of the solder joint in your mix. The solder will be about 50/50 tin and lead. Pure works just right for round balls. Your temperature will have to be higher than if you were making bullets out of something like Wheel Weights that will test aroung 10 - 11 BHN depending on where you are getting them and how old they are. Old ones are harder.