PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Here

metho
01-25-2013, 09:38 AM
So I've been reloading handgun ammo for about a year now and recently got into casting bullets. I was able to get my hands on a few hundred pounds of lead (roof flashings, pipes & wheel weights). I've done a few batches so far of .452 that I shoot with my 1911 and my XD. They shoot great, no problems cycling, no leading and plenty accurate. One issue that I've had though is that after I run the bullet through the seating/crimping die I get a ring indented around the tip of the bullet. It doesn't seem like it effects accuracy but it is kind of annoying, not sure if it's just the die or what. Anyone else seen this before? I'll list my equipment below.

Lead - 50/50 wheel weights/roof flashing
Mold - Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-228-1R
Lube - Lee Liquid Alox(sized @ .452 /w Lee sizing die)
Press - Hornady Lock n Load Progressive
Dies - Hornady 45acp
Powder - Unique 5.2 gr
Primer - CCI300
OAL - 1.230

EMC45
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
It is the seating stem inside the die. It really shouldn't have an effect on your ammo, but it is annoying looking. I take my seating stems and burnish the interior of the edge of the seating stem with a cratex bob to knock that sharp edge off. Then no more mark.

Beerd
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
what EMC45 said.

and, Welcome to the forum!

metho
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Have you seen this issue before with non round nose bullets? The 9mm mold I bought is a truncated round nose, will I have this same issue with those?

DLCTEX
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
It depends on how the nose punch fits the boolit. I have adapted bullet seaters to fit a particular bullet by oiling a bullet nose and then putting JB Weld in the seater (just a dab) and raising the press ram until the seat punch rests on the bullet nose. Leave it until dry. 5 minute epoxy works too. Something I learned here and have used on nose punches for sizers also. A temporary fix is to put a touch of boolit lube in the punch, followed by a small ball of aluminum foil that will compress to the shape of the boolit.The boolit lube will stick the foil in place.

captaint
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
All depends on your seater. supposedly, if you have the correct seater, you shouldn't have the ring. BUT, it does happen sometimes just the same. Not a big deal though. Mike

Wayne Smith
01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Hot melt glue works to and is quicker. I think it's easier to remove if you need to get your punch back to original, or to re-shape it for another boolit.