PDA

View Full Version : Babbit

huntincowboy
01-25-2013, 12:08 AM
My grandad has some babbit that was in the bridle ends for the horses head on a pumpjack. He said I could have it for casting if I wanted amd I was wondering if anyone knew if it was any good for making boolits or blending into my alloy? It's mystery alloy, but he thought it had some lead in it.

mongoosesnipe
01-25-2013, 12:25 AM
If there is a lot of it may be worth haven't tested are there any makings on it if its just a few bars I would mix up a big batch nd toss them in

Wots
01-25-2013, 12:25 AM
http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/GeneralReference/Babbitt.pdf

huntincowboy
01-25-2013, 01:04 AM
There are no markings, it is melted from taking it out of the bridle to replace a worn steel cable.

Wots thanks for the link. I don't know what grade it could even be, but this seems to have a lot of useful information, I'll try to find out more.

Wots
01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
I have a stash of bearing babbit. Online here I recall someone said use babbit as you would tin. I use 2% babbit in my alloy which gave me good fill out and shinny boolets.

badgeredd
01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm not familiar with the babbit in question by the OP. Bear in mind there are lead based and tin based babbits. Without some way of knowing the chemical make-up of the babbit, it is hard to say exactly how it can be utilizeed in cast boolits.

Edd

huntincowboy
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Yeah I've been trying to think of how to identify it. I haven't got to look at it yet, but maybe it will be very shiny if tin and dull if lead? I don't have a hardness tester either.

badgeredd
01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah I've been trying to think of how to identify it. I haven't got to look at it yet, but maybe it will be very shiny if tin and dull if lead? I don't have a hardness tester either.

Probably if you have a fair amount, it would be worth it to have it tested. There are a couple fellows here that will check it for you for a very reasonable cost. If I recall correctly I think one guy will do it for $8 which is well worth it if you have a fair amount of it.

Edd

huntincowboy
01-28-2013, 04:08 AM
I think there is somewhere around 10 lb which would be considerable for what I do as a blend material. You don't happen to know who does it do you? I may need to shoot them a pm.

sljacob
01-28-2013, 08:16 AM
most often the babbit that I have run into in the oil field is a #4 "hardware grade" babbit, most often used to pour ropesockets in drill, line sand line, and other wire rope ends.
rotometals has a chart In there babbit section that list the various alloy content of the different grade babbits.
I often use it to harden a soft batch of lead.

badgeredd
01-28-2013, 10:24 AM
I think there is somewhere around 10 lb which would be considerable for what I do as a blend material. You don't happen to know who does it do you? I may need to shoot them a pm.

The fellow's handle is Any Cal and he had the post a while back:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?170535-Lead-analyzing-service

It took me a while to find it, but here it is.

Edd