PDA

View Full Version : Re: OSHA proposed regs

Howdy Doody
07-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Here is a petition regarding the proposed OSHA shipping regs that was paosted on another board and I signed. The more signatures the better, so I am posting a link here too. Let 'em know with a signature.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/say-no-to-osha-ammunition-regulations.html

Old Ironsights
07-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Labor Department Announces It Will Revise Overreaching OSHA Explosives Rule

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) announced it will significantly revise a recent proposal for new “explosives safety” regulations that caused serious concern among gun owners. OSHA had originally set out to update workplace safety regulations, but the proposed rules included restrictions that very few gun shops, sporting goods stores, shippers, or ammunition dealers could comply with.

Gun owners had filed a blizzard of negative comments urged by the NRA, and just a week ago, OSHA had already issued one extension for its public comment period at the request of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. After continued publicity through NRA alerts and the outdoor media, and after dozens of Members of Congress expressed concern about its impact, OSHA has wisely decided to go back to the drawing board.

Working with the NRA, Congressman Denny Rehberg (R-MT) planned to offer a floor amendment to the Labor-HHS appropriations bill this Wednesday when the House considers this legislation. His amendment would have prohibited federal funds from being used to enforce this OSHA regulation.

Such an amendment is no longer necessary since Kristine A. Iverson, the Labor Department’s Assistant Secretary for Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs, sent Rep. Rehberg a letter, dated July 16, stating that it “was never the intention of OSHA to block the sale, transportation, or storage of small arms ammunition, and OSHA is taking prompt action to revise” this proposed rule to clarify the purpose of the regulation.

Also, working with the NRA, Congressman Doug Lamborn (R-CO) gathered signatures from 25 House colleagues for a letter <http://www.nraila.org/images/oshaltr.pdf> , dated July 11, expressing concerns about this proposed OSHA rule. The letter calling the proposal “an undue burden on a single industry where facts do not support the need outlined by this proposed rule” and “not feasible, making it realistically impossible for companies to comply with its tenets.”

The OSHA proposal would have defined “explosives” to include “black powder, … small arms ammunition, small arms ammunition primers, [and] smokeless propellant,” and treated these items the same as the most volatile high explosives.

Under the proposed rule, a workplace that contained even a handful of small arms cartridges, for any reason, would have been considered a “facility containing explosives” and therefore subject to many impractical restrictions. For example, no one could carry “firearms, ammunition, or similar articles in facilities containing explosives … except as required for work duties.” Obviously, this rule would make it impossible to operate any kind of gun store, firing range, or gunsmith shop.

The public comment website for the proposed rule is no longer accessible. The Labor Department will publish a notice in the July 17 Federal Register announcing that a new rule proposal will soon be drafted for public comment. Needless to say, the NRA monitors proposed federal regulations to head off this kind of overreach, and will be alert for OSHA’s next draft.

We will post the letter to Congressman Rehberg shortly.

<http://www.nraila.org/images/nra_email_divideline.jpg>
www.NRAILA.org <http://www.nraila.org> Write Your Representative <http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/>
Write The Media <http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/media/>
Get Involved Locally <http://www.nraila.org/ActionCenter/GetInvolvedLocally/>
Register To Vote <https://ssl.capwiz.com/nra/e4/nvra/?action=form>
Contribute <https://secure.nraila.org/Contribute.aspx>
<http://www.nraila.org/XML#RSS> <http://www.nraila.org/XML#webservices>

Please do not reply to this email as you will not receive a response. This email is a broadcast email generated by an automated system. To contact NRA-ILA call 800-392-8683.
Address: 11250 Waples Mill Road Fairfax, Virginia 22030

Shiloh
07-17-2007, 09:17 AM
We can't let up. These folks will be back. Just like bad guacamole, regulators keep repeating.

Shiloh

threett1
07-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Yup, not this time but.....

mike in co
07-21-2007, 12:14 AM
ironsides,
i appreciate your efforts, but that bs from the nra is just that. THE NRA DID NOT DO THIS.
SEE MY OTHER POST ON THIS SUBJECT.
look at the wording of what you posted, the nra this, the nra that.......
sorry but the shooting public via the internet did this.
see if you can find a non-nra statement on this subject, heck even osha's statement on thier current position. the nra jumped in only after the public ground swell was a tital wave no one would miss.

again i appreciate your efforts, but it wasn't the nra.

thanks
mike

leftiye
07-21-2007, 01:24 AM
2nd what Joe said. The NRA did show up, but only for the last dance. But we went home with the pretty girls! We ought to find us Some big name anti gunners to zumbo!

Lee
07-21-2007, 03:52 PM
(quote)"Kristine A. Iverson, the Labor Department’s Assistant Secretary for Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs, sent Rep. Rehberg a letter, dated July 16, stating that it “was never the intention of OSHA to block the sale, transportation, or storage of small arms ammunition, and OSHA is taking prompt action to revise” this proposed rule to clarify the purpose of the regulation."(quote)

Look at the title on that mouthpiece!!................. And if the mouthpiece read the regs she would have seen just what the proposal would do. What a lying pol.

(quote)"The letter calling the proposal “an undue burden on a single industry where facts do not support the need outlined by this proposed rule” and “not feasible, making it realistically impossible for companies to comply with its tenets.”(quote)

Since when have facts stopped OSHA??........................

Be afraid. Be very afriad. Those morons and antis's are not done yet by a long shot..............................Lee:wink:

montana_charlie
07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
This whole mess started because SAAMI petitioned OSHA for a rule change, back in 2002.

Folks who 'should have been watching' probably saw that fact mentioned in that (long, convoluted) preamble, and decided further study wasn't necessary because SAMMI surely wouldn't start something that would hurt the shooting industry.

I would not be surprised if anti-gun thinkers had some input when the rule change was being written, but this is what SAMMI says on their website...

We believe the professionals at OSHA were sincere in their efforts to improve regulations of explosives using the most up-to-date information and technology. Ammunition and components were summarily included in the proposed changes based on perceptions of authors unfamiliar with these products. While unfortunate, the end results have proven that OSHA is genuinely interested in making decisions based on science and not politics when promoting workplace safety and protecting employee health.
CM

Lee
07-22-2007, 02:44 PM
"the professionals at OSHA"??

Ah Haw Haw Haw
Ah Haw
Ah Haw Haw Haw

They must employ Dumbo Zumbo as a consultant(OSHA and SAMMI both)

SAMMI = GOBBLEDYGOOK

Ya need a sticky thread documenting all of OSHA's boners. (Not to say everything they do is bad, just that you can only let a tin star out on so much rope before he does something stupid). Maybe also need ta knock SAMMI off its' ivory tower. Sounds like they need some oxygen and a reality ckeck too.
Any agency that runs on the fines they assess is eventually composed of tyrants...................Lee:wink:

Bret4207
07-22-2007, 06:40 PM
I dealt with some OSHA guys once. The word "zealot" comes to mind. At the time the "ergonomics" issue was all the rage. The guy said Congress told them they'd gone far enough and to go on to other things. He flat out told they had no intentions of stopping. It was all Troopers in the room and you could of heard a pin drop. Despite what many think, when the higher ups say "Thats good, stop there" Troopers tend to listen and stop. The silence tickled the guys aw crap alarm and he started to try and make a joke of it. It was no joke.

montana_charlie
07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Montana's population is so small we only have one Congressman. I (and probably many others) wrote to Dennis Rehberg about the OSHA rule change.

I received a reply from him today, and this was in it...

"In response to OSHA's proposal, I drafted an amendment that would have prevented federal funds from being used to enforce the regulation. However, due to my draft amendment, OSHA reversed course and promised to me in writing that it would withdraw the proposed rule and rewrite it so it will not impact firearms dealers and gun owners."

Now we will see if OSHA keeps their promise...and Rehberg will be watching along with us.
CM

sturf
07-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Some years ago; almost the same thing happened with; if I remerber correctly: BATF. It was congress members that stepped in then as now. The Gov agencies know they have the power to legislate and cut off funding. This is what stopped it before and also this time. I agree that the pressure brought to bear by the shooting public and some orgs. had a lot to do too, but thank the members of congress for their help. They are actually the ones that stopped it. Remember them at the poles. I hate to say this; but I too think that the N R A has become almost completely ineffective. If I weren't a life member, I'd quit especially since they started getting in bed with the antis.

TAWILDCATT
07-23-2007, 04:16 PM
how many of the NRA bashers contribute to the grass roots activity of the NRA.The organization has to beg for funds that the antigunners get in HUGE amounts.how many belong to a state association??:coffee: :Fire: :coffee:

waksupi
07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Ya know, many of us ARE NRA members, and we ARE taking action. That is what it is all about. If you need to wait for someone to hold your hand, you won't accomplish much. It isn't just headquarters that must be vigilant, it is the rank and file.

leftiye
07-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Taw, Your question left me in a fog. If a person bashes NRA, chances are they're not a member anyway, and don't help NRA as they're already upset with NRA. Goes to reason that they'll be looking for another horse.

NRA does a lot of begging, yes- but they waste a lot of the money they get because of using third party solicitors who keep a lot of it. At the same time, all of the dunning drives members away right and left. Please don't see this as further bashing, only observed reasons the NRA doesn't have the support of many who would dearly love to have an effective organization working for us.