PDA

View Full Version : Lyman tru line press and dies

iron brigade
01-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Gents,
Need to pick some brains about this press and dies.
Here's the deal, a co-worker was given a bunch of reloading equipment and asked me to look at it and help him get started loading ect. I've been loading about 25 years and have to admit i'm a little in the dark.

The dies are numbered 123 and from looking at some of the other goodies i think they are 30 carbine dies. .30 cal for sure. what he needs are 257 roberts dies to fit this. anyway any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

salpal48
01-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Tru-line JR dies were named as well as just numbered. There is a cross reference chart floating on the web showing the # cross reference to caliber. This chart is also in older lyman Ideal catalogs 1950,s or so. I,v seen it on the web and in print. The is also a guy that builds and repairs , sells 310 tools only Rick Morrill THE 310 SHOP. It may be on his web site or you can call him he,s very helpful.
Hope this helps

woody1
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
cross reference charts are on CastPics if I'm not mistaken. Yup, go to CastPics and look in references. There's also a chart in some of the old Lyman Handbooks which I think are also on CastPics. You need to look at the Ideal Handbook Scan in the 310 Tool References to find the 257 Rbts.

oops, just re-read your post. If your press is a Tru-Line not Tru-line Jr. all bets are off and I pass. Regards, Woody

Bent Ramrod
01-25-2013, 01:41 PM
The number 123 is one of the few I can bring up from memory. That was the number for the .30-06. Remember that the dies only necksize.

The .257 Roberts dies show up on E-Bay pretty frequently.

iron brigade
01-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Its the tru line JR press. thanks for the info, i'll check ebay.

woody1
01-25-2013, 09:05 PM
If you have 30-06 dies, you prob'ly have a No. 2 shellholder. Although Lyman says the Rob'ts. takes a No. 8, I'll bet a No. 2 will work just fine. I may have a set of Tru-line Jr. 257 Rob'ts. dies. I'll take a look. Is your priming stem for a large primer? You'll need that also. Regards, Woody

Green Frog
01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
I've been off the board for a while with a dead laptop... if you still need a set of 257 Roberts, drop me a PM or an e-mail at <gfrog53 AT yahoo DOT com> with obvious changes. I think I could probably assemble a set for you. As Woody observed, you probably have the shell holder and primer seater you need, so a CMR (combination muzzle resized and decapper) and a bullet seating die will probably put you in business, with a case mouth expander being a good addition for cast bullets. If you want/need to do full length sizing, that is done with a separate die off the press and using either a vise or hammer to push the case in.

Froggie

Green Frog
01-28-2013, 07:26 PM
You might want to go to e-Bay and look at item # 390532098948. I haven't checked for dies yet, but I haven't forgotten you!

Froggie

iron brigade
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
thanks green frog, woody has set my friend up nicely. will let you know if i need anything more for him. thanks to all who helped out.