PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Lube Terminology

toecutter
07-16-2007, 07:01 AM
So, in my quest to come up with my own solution to the question of "what lube to use" I have come across a number of different terms with multiple meanings. So for clarification purposes:

STP = The oil treatment sold by the brand name STP as shown here: http://www.stp.com/oil_oiltreat.html

Ivory soap = the solid bar stuff they sell in quantity at wallyworld? or the liquid dish soap? or ....

For those who are curious, I've been using mostly a darr-lube base, 2 parts paraffin, 1 part vasoline (no STP) and it's handled itself rather well in my 1911 loads. However, it's really starting to heat up here in the southland, and with my annual mojave trip coming up, I'm anticipating temperatures in the 110+ range. I'm kinda looking to harden up the lube a bit so it will be tacky (figure if it's sitting in an ammo can in direct sunlight, you may be looking at 150+) as long as it can maintain tackyness I would be happy, since darr lube turns to liquid at these temps.

I was kinda thinking about graphite or moly powder mixed with paraffin, with some vybar, or stearate added to push that melting point up up and away!

I was kinda thinking about giving saeco green a try. Any other suggestions?

randyrat
07-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Just an idea... Lube as you normaly do--- then use LLA over the whole bullet let dry. Try this for your desert lube, i'll bet your lube won't go anywhere at any temp. Use a thin mixture.

toecutter
07-16-2007, 04:10 PM
When I first started I used LLA, it was a nightmare, havn't touched the stuff since. I ended up with horrible leading problems. Could have just been the load, but I've duplicated it with a different bullet (standard lube-groove) same wt and form factor but done with darr lube (I used solid lanolin instead of STP) and had no problems.

You may be right, it may really perform at high temps, I'm not sure I'm ready to take another chance with it again though.

AlaskaMike
07-18-2007, 10:50 AM
I think what Randyrat's saying is not to use LLA by itself, but over your existing lube. In this case it would act more as a lube sealant than as a lube.

Mike