PDA

View Full Version : reloading / shooting residue and airport security

excello
01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
My daughter, up until recently, worked at the local airport. She told me to not store luggage or clean clothing in our utility room where I reload. Her opinion was that freshly laundered clothing should contain so little explosive residue as to be OK.
We've got nitrates, nitroglycerin, nitrocellulose and lead styphnate etc. Some primers contain PETN according to George Frost in the book "Ammunition Making "
I would like to fly to visit my sister, but am half afraid to even try it ! Any body have any experiences good or bad with ammo / reloading residue and explosives detectors at airports ?

thanks,

excello

felix
01-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Your sister might be correct for some airports having "new" equipment set for extreme sensitivity. Just tell them you are in the fertilizer business when selected. ... felix

EMC45
01-24-2013, 02:43 PM
We have bomb sniffing dogs at work. I think about this often.

fouronesix
01-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Yes always possible and not a new technology either. About 8 years ago I was flying somewhere (can't remember where) and was pulled out of the line after going thru the screening machine so my daypack could be checked. It's not that they "saw" something suspicious inside the pack but that a sensor of some sort triggered. They then used a handheld "sniffer" to check inside and out. Of course found nothing so went on my way. Then this last year at a foreign airport I and all boarding an international flight were passively screened with some sort of the next generation of detector/sniffer. Actually better than a full carry-on and body search.

gkainz
01-24-2013, 05:32 PM
I traveled to and from pharmaceutical and bio-pharma companies a number of years ago. My briefcase and computer bags alerted the sniffer sensor on every trip.

starbits
01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
I was traveling once and when I left the hotel I grabbed an apple and threw it in my back pack. Ate it on the flight and 5 hours later going through an airport an airport cop approached with a dog they were training and asked if I minded the dog doing a search on my bag. I said go ahead and the dog alerted. Turned out the dog alerted on an apple that I had removed from the bag 5 hours earlier. I doubt much would get by that dog. The chemical sniffing machines, who knows.

Starbits

rbertalotto
01-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I travel on at least four planes every week. I put my briefcase on the back seat floor of my truck, where my shooting bag with loaded and fired brass sits on the weekend.

I've been stopped by "sniffers" many times. They pull my bag and do a 5 second visual inspectuion and I'm on my way. I've only once been asked by TSA if I might have something in the bag to set off the sensor. I simply answer "no". They visually check and you are on your way. No big issue. Enjoy your trip!

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-24-2013, 07:39 PM
wait til you go through the metal detector with lead spattered jeans :bigsmyl2:
You get the full treatment

mpmarty
01-24-2013, 07:50 PM
wait til you go through the metal detector with lead spattered jeans :bigsmyl2:
You get the full treatment

Why? Why would lead trigger some detector?

cbrick
01-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Why? Why would lead trigger some detector?

Hhmmm . . . Lead is metal. Metal tends to set off metal detectors.

Rick

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-24-2013, 08:27 PM
yup, set off the detector.Getting felt up was the most action I've had in years,
too bad it was by a hairy guy named Guido :0

Circuit Rider
01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Come on Jim admit it, you enjoyed Guido. LOL CR

double8
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
QUOTE=felix;2023582]Your sister might be correct for some airports having "new" equipment set for extreme sensitivity. Just tell them you are in the fertilizer business when selected. ... felix[/QUOTE]

Ya,........that'll work [smilie=1:

skeeter2
01-24-2013, 11:31 PM
I loaded a couple 45-70 with a lee loader. Did not wash my hands ( I forgot). Went to airport and had my hands swabbed for explosives. Did not set off the detectors.

TXGunNut
01-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Last two flights I had a properly declared and locked handgun in my checked bags. It may mave been a bit dirty as well. I don't like surprises, suspect TSA doesn't either.
Guido's not such a bad guy after a drink or two, Jim.:mrgreen:

MT Gianni
01-24-2013, 11:56 PM
A friends father went to the Mayo Clinic for testing/surgery in 2005. He is a 72 year old MT farmer. He was detained when he tested positive for gunshot residue in Minneapolis. It came about that he had been shooting gophers out of his truck two weeks earlier and he drove that truck to the airport.

Harter66
01-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Everything I own is probably tainted having worked 17 yrs in an 80yo ammo Depot.

My daughter spent a summer in San Diego , on her return flight she was lucky 53 or what ever the number was that day,while she was clean as were her bags and clothes her Converse hi-tops set off the sniffer, but swiped mostly clean,it tinged but didn't turn. She explained where home was and everything was all good.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Come on Jim admit it, you enjoyed Guido. LOL CR

his fingers where cold!

LUBEDUDE
01-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Excello - welcome to the forum.

Everyday after work, my cordura briefcase came out of the car and would be set next to the loading bench. That same briefcase went to the airports with me. Needless to say I would get pulled over. They would swab it and ask what was in it. I just told them that I was an avid sportsman surrounded by ammo and components. They would send me on my way. No big deal.

I really think that they look for your reaction. Hwell, I had nothing to be guilty of.

Silver Eagle
01-25-2013, 01:35 AM
I work a professional fireworks show every year. Fireworks contain a lot of things that set off detectors. Such as black powder, strong oxidizers, various powdered metals and other chemicals.
Well, a few years ago a co-shooter told me that he got called by a relative that a family member was gravely ill during a show. Right after the show, he proceeded to go directly to the airport and try to get a flight out. Needless to say the "sniffers" went a bit nuts when he walked through! They pulled him off to a side room and started checking him. Got him down to his tighty whities and were still going strong. He told them that he had to catch his flight to no avail. They inquired as to why he set off the sniffer and he told them he just came from a professional pyro show and did not have a chance to change clothes or take a shower. They wanted a license or something. He explained they were not required except for the person in charge. Even offered them the number of the guy in charge of the show.
They finally did let him through and he managed to catch the plane as the doors were closing. Nearly got tackled again by security for running through the terminal.
So, YES they may set off the sniffers. Best thing to do is double check your bags and self to make sure they are only picking up traces and not items that will get them "antsy".

LUBEDUDE
01-25-2013, 01:48 AM
It seems to me that they would be more concerned with his baggage on the plane as he was standing there in his tidy whities.

Stephen Cohen
01-25-2013, 02:01 AM
My son and his friend were picked out at Brisbane airport because of residue they got from my back seat where I had sat my rifles. I have heard of several more. Its no drama you tell them your a reloader and its sweet.

41 mag fan
01-25-2013, 06:43 AM
his fingers where cold!

You sure that was his fingers???

KCSO
01-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Our laundry room iis right next to my reloading room and we have never had a problem. My wife and grandson just flew to AZ and My Daugher goes back and forth regularly.

Beau Cassidy
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
A friend of mine went thru a sniffer a few months ago with a spent primer in his shoe. He went thru fine but the little old lady behind him set off all kind of alarms!

starmac
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
A friend of mine went thru a sniffer a few months ago with a spent primer in his shoe. He went thru fine but the little old lady behind him set off all kind of alarms!

Okay I just have to ask, why did he have a spent primer in his shoe. lol

PB234
01-25-2013, 06:21 PM
I got stopped and bag examined going through TSA line. After the gentleman opened the bag and after finding nothing he said the bag tested positive and looked at me. I told him I was a target shooter. He smiled and wished me a good day. I am glad they are doing their job.

pipehand
01-25-2013, 09:56 PM
About 6 years ago I was working at a power plant installing one of the Clean Air Act retrofit packages. In accordance with the drug free workplace policy, management likes to bring in the local Sheriff Department and the drug dogs to sniff cars in the parking lot, etc. One of the guys I worked with was terminated because he had a .357 in his pickemup truck. That started the rumor that the dogs found it. Reality of the situation was that ******* left revolver in the door pocket, and the very astute deputy looking in the window saw the very distinctive butt of a Smith&Wesson. A lot of guys thought they had gun sniffing dogs, but I told my friends that that couldn't be so as the deputies were armed with guns, and that none of the dogs barked at them or my truck. I think everything I own has powder or powder residue on it.

rexherring
01-26-2013, 10:45 AM
My brother was stopped at the airport due to some sniffer. He worked in a rock quarry and did have residue on his boots from the blasting materials they use. This was quite awhile ago before all the new sensors so it must have been pretty strong.