PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870

William Yanda
01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
1) My Rem 870 Magnum Express is chambered for 2.75/3 inch 12 Ga. Figuring 1x use, can I cut down 3.5 inch shells to help smooth the transition from chamber to forcing cone, adding wads to get appropriate length?
I plan to load light loads of both 00 and 1 oz. Lee slugs.
I have been going through the old postings but I don't remember seeing this question addressed.
2) Has anyone had experience using a hot wire rather than a sharp knife/scissors to cut plastic hulls?
Thanks
Bill

Kskybroom
01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Your 870 will not eject a 3 1/2in shell.
You need load data..(ie. Fed paper base 3 1/2 in (some) Fed 3in paper base Fed top gun paper base)
Ive try the hot wire didnt work to good. The melted plastic makes it hard to get wads in an bad crimps.
A sharp knife works for me. BPI sells a Trim Doctor???
+ side cut off hulls are easy to roll crimp.
Id bet somebody that loads 3 1/2in Mag will trade you hulls

LUTNIT
01-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I've cut 3-1/2" hulls down to 3" and loaded them with 2oz wax slugs using 2oz, 3-1/2" load data (no crimp). A sharp x-acto knife works best.
I've also cut 3-1/2" hulls down to 3" and loaded them with 3" data and star crimped them normally. Worked fine.
Now I regret it since I am looking for 3-1/2" hulls for 18 pellet buckshot loads for my super mag :(

x101airborne
01-27-2013, 09:40 PM
I have that BPI Trim Doctor and LOVE it. A hundred percent endorsement. But beware, if you cut down shotshells, you need to use a wooden tapered dowel with sandpaper to thin the mouth for proper crimping. An expensive press will work no matter what, but for some of the cheaper ones, the thinner mouths work better.
You could always cross reference hulls based on pressure limits and construction, then look at whether they are two piece, tapered, straight, whatever.... You can quite often extrapolate Your own data by looking at construction, payload weight, and wad construction. Then stay with a slow burning shotgun powder like Blue Dot or something and work up slowly. Anytime you need help, you can always e-mail the Curmudgeon at BPI and they will help you all they can.