PDA

View Full Version : RCBS AmmoMaster Priming

DonMountain
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I recently dug out an old RCBS AmmoMaster reloading press that I used to use for reloading 50 BMG cartridges 15 or 20 years ago, and set it up to reload and resize smaller conventional cases. I do a lot of reforming cases for the Argentine Mauser, 7.5 MAS and others. And thought this heavier press would work better than my older, smaller Hornady 007 press. My question is, the priming on this press is pretty unconventional where the case holder is put in a holder on top of the press where the normal reloading die goes, and a post device that holds individual primers is placed on top of the ram under the upper mounted cartridge case. And used to insert primers through the upper mounted case holder into the base of the case. Did RCBS ever produce an automated primer feeder for this setup so I don't have to place every primer into the ram mounted primer holder by hand? Or has anyone converted one to do this job from another press? :-?

Stampede
01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
You need this entire set up, it's either for large or small primers. I have an old (1st model) RCBS Ammo-Master. It still goes strong. Recently I ordered some spare parts via Huntington's and they still sell small parts and the auto-primer feeder (as on the picture) for this press. I have to say for large brass (like .45-70) in the auto-set up it's not that solid.

Stampede

DonMountain
01-24-2013, 06:46 PM
My AmmoMaster is a single stage press and your's looks like a progressive version of the press. Will this primer feed unit fit on the single stage version?

No_1
01-24-2013, 06:53 PM
The AmmoMaster can be either a single stage or a progressive press. It can also be converted to either version with parts that are still readily available from RCBS. The priming system in post 2 is for the progressive model. I am certain it cannot be added to the single stage version of this press. I suggest you purchase a hand held or bench mounted priming unit and save yourself some hassle.

L Erie Caster
01-24-2013, 08:37 PM
The system is not that unusual, it is called a ram priming unit.
This one uses APS strips

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185440/rcbs-aps-press-priming-tool

1bluehorse
01-24-2013, 09:05 PM
I have the same press you have, no the progressive system will not work...I use the Lee Ram Prime which is similar to the RCBS..EXCEPT the Lee has the same primer setup for the ram prime that Lee uses on their presses, the round primer container and feed ramp, like on the pro 1000, or Loadmaster....works very well for batch loading...don't know if Lee still makes it or not..think I paid like 10-15 bucks for it several years ago...

DonMountain
01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks everybody for their help. I looked at the RCBS site for the APS system, the press mounted priming unit, priming strips and strip loader, and came up with their price of about $150 plus shipping. The whole system just seems complicated and not viable for the price they are asking. On my Hornady 007 press I can just dump a tray of primers out in a plastic primer tray and use the primer tube to just pick up the primers and they are loaded. Stick the tube in the press and away I go. Did they ever sell any of these APS systems? I think I will just do my priming on the Hornady.

1bluehorse
01-26-2013, 01:42 PM
O.K. I gave you the wrong item....look up "Lee press mounted auto-prime two..that's the one I use. 15 bucks at Midway....works fine.