PDA

View Full Version : LNL anomaly

chsparkman
01-24-2013, 07:38 AM
I've been using my Hornady LNL AP for a year now with great results for all my pistol calipers and for .223. When loading rounds with short cases, like 9mm, 40S&W, 380, and sometimes 45ACP, after the case receives powder and advances, the "click" is violent enough to throw a couple of flakes of powder over the top of the case. It's really not enough to adversely affect the charge, but it is annoying. Anyone else out there experience this?

blaser.306
01-24-2013, 08:12 AM
check your center bolt for tension, if it is too tight the plate can bind and if too loose I would imagine that there would be nothing to offer any resistance to the detent balls on the underside and the plate would start to move and the springs with the detents would take over when the approached the edges of the detent dents in the sub plate. I load full blown Major powder factor .38 super on my L-N-L and it is I mean a case full of 4756 and I may be lucky, but with the half stage advance of the Hornady it is very clean as far as powder loss goes.

41 mag fan
01-24-2013, 08:28 AM
I have problems with my bolt that holds the plate coming loose and causing something similar to this.

chsparkman
01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check the tension.

Wal'
01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
I have the older Projector & have always had the same problem especially with the 9mm, just the odd case throwing out a few flakes, but as you said its damn annoying when you're trying for the perfect consistent load.

Have tried every which way to come a with a solution, but as yet after 20 plus years, still havent come up with anything that works to stop it.

I just put it down as a common fault with Hornady............... :)

M Hicks
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
You could also check how much bell or flare you are putting on the cases. If you are putting any at all. If I have mind adjusted to open up the case mouth too much it will hang up on the die a little bit and cause what you are describing. I don't sort my pistol cases, which is what I use my LNL for, like I do my rifle. The ones that do snag up a little are just a hair longer than the others which would be an obvious reason for the extra flare in the case mouth.

sdelam
01-26-2013, 10:37 AM
I have the same problem. I would prefer to use a powder that fills the case but If its past the 1/2 way point it spills when it indexs. I also find that if I dont keep the shell plate bolt tight that I get priming issues. A little bit of grease on the index balls under the shell plate helps but it still "snaps".

1bluehorse
01-26-2013, 01:04 PM
It's not just a malady for the Hornady, there are a few videos on U-tube where "fixes" have been made for this very thing on the Dillon 650....seems the more accepted route is to "lessen" the spring tension (shorten) under the detent ball.

chsparkman
01-26-2013, 01:43 PM
I appreciate all the replies fellas, I knew I wasn't the only one with that problem. Lately I've taken to placing the boolit in the case just before it clicks into the next station. It works but it's only a workaround.

Gliden07
01-26-2013, 09:51 PM
If you want to keep pressure on the center bolt replace the washer with one of the spring steel wave washers that should keep the bolt loaded.

KYCaster
01-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Blue Lock Tite keeps the bolt where it should be.

If you're spilling powder your index pawls may not be adjusted properly, making the detent ball do the indexing rather than the pawls.

Jerry

Randy C
01-27-2013, 12:31 AM
I ordered 2 RCBS PRO 2000 and everything I have read about them said the samething.

mactool
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I have another anomaly. Every 5th round i have to index the shelleplate manually. It doesent matter what kind of shell plate i use.

41 mag fan
01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
I have another anomaly. Every 5th round i have to index the shelleplate manually. It doesent matter what kind of shell plate i use.

Why is it every 5th round? Or is it, the very 1st round loaded that drops off the shell plate?
The indexing has to do with your pawls. I dont remember which one it is, L or R pawl, without looking in my manual

LeadBrain
01-27-2013, 10:34 AM
+1 on Adjusting the pawls, seemed to do the trick if center bolt, light lube on bottom of plate, etc. is ok. I adjusted mine about 1/4-1/2 turn a couple months ago and it made big difference in operation.
I was experiencing "Excessive force on the click", and "intermittent case positioning issues" before I made the adjustment. Look in the manual it is pretty specific on which one to adjust for different issues.

RGMJ
01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi Guys,

You might also want to check the following :

1. The shell plate might be warped causing it to move unevenly on the carrier. If the shell plate is sometimes too tight or loose on different positions, the plate is warped.

2. Check also the pawls for wear.

3. Look if the index wheel at the bottom if it is worn.

Hope this helps!