PDA

View Full Version : Zink maybe?

savingprivateyang
01-23-2013, 05:26 PM
I went to the scrap yard today to purchase lead and I remember there was a member here who was on the constant lookout for zink. I found some of these:

Not sure if they're zink, but figured I'd pick them up and have you guys take a look.

They make a metalic ring when droped from about chest height. They weigh a decent amount and have an 8 stamped on the side. There's also two (im guessing) steel loops in them for attatching something. They're a hell of a lot harder than any lead I've encountered and can not be scratched with my fingernail.

Thoughts?

Jim
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
My guess is they're deep water downrigger balls. They could very well be zinc, but I can't tell from the photo.

savingprivateyang
01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, I just took a chisel to one of the balls... It sure does dent like lead. I dont know if a large mass of zinc would dent like it did. I'm guessing it is lead, just wont be able to tell the exact alloy. I'm almost certain it'll have some zinc in it. Who knows, dont know what people used to cast downrigger balls.. I think it's time to buy a thermometer so I can keep an eye on temps when smelting.

leadman
01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
The temperature won't help you alot with these balls as any zinc would already be in the alloy. It only works in a situation like smelting where the zinc is seperate. You may get a little of the mushy looking dross if there is zinc in it but won't be able to remove it all. Check the stickies for using acid to check for zinc.

Lizard333
01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Muratic acid would tell you in a jiffy.

runfiverun
01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
yes it would.

i'd about bet they are home made down rigger balls or a fishing shop bought a mold.

savingprivateyang
01-23-2013, 11:13 PM
So, I poured some muriatic acid on it. God that stuff is awful, I think my nose hairs are still on fire. The ball has little white spots on it where the acid touched it. After I poured it, it had a white "smoke" coming off of it. I didn't notice any bubbles or anything. Does this indicate anything?

Finarfin
01-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Sounds like zinc to me.

savingprivateyang
01-24-2013, 03:00 AM
Thanks Finarfin, I guess those are either going to the member who wanted zinc or they're going to be used in my copper enriched lead experiments. I'm pretty sure they're not 100% zinc, I don't know if that matters for the member that wanted zinc (I don't even remember who it was).

Woody3
01-24-2013, 03:07 AM
Shadygrady (spelling?) is the member who swaps zinc for lead.

savingprivateyang
01-24-2013, 03:13 AM
Sweet, thanks Woody3. I'll pm him and see if he's interested, if not, that zinc's going to be swapped out for copper.

shadygrady
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
yes if you got a med flat rate box full or 40 lbs then yes will trade my lead for your zinc

Finarfin
01-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Note: you should have someone else confirm that. I'm just saying it sounds like zinc to me, not that I really know much about how to tell. I was expecting others to chime in as well and would hate for you to go on just my thoughts on it.