PDA

View Full Version : I dont know if I will ever crimp my shells again. At least for 16 gauge.

x101airborne
01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Hey all.
This is mainly a thank you to those that are here constantly giving good advice.
I finally got to order all my 16 gauge stuff from BPI and it arrived today. In the order is my first roll crimper. I have a 16 gauge Lee Load All and it was awful putting the crimp on the loaded new hulls. I got incomplete crimps, open crimps, crushed hulls, etc. What a hunk of not well working equipment. So, I got out the new roll crimper. I set it up on my drill press to give just a little over 1/4 inch roll, and affixed the shell vice on the drill plate. I loaded up 5 loads of 4 Buck, 5 loads of NP#6 shot, and 5 rounds of single round ball and roll crimped them all. It worked great. I like the look of the roll crimp. Cant wait to see how the hulls last through reloading.
All loads are less than 1 oz of payload. The round ball loads use two 1/8 inch nitro cards under the wad, a 20 gauge felt wad under the ball and it is loaded sprue down. I am using SG16 wads and 21 grains Herco under everything. Max for a 1 ounce load is 23 grains according to the 16 Gauge Manual. Standard 16 gauge overshot cards go over everything.

If all goes well and these pattern well, next project will be some black powder loads.

35remington
01-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Do not base your decisions about crimping on what you can do with a Load All. You're likely to make the wrong ones.

6pt-sika
01-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Yep I've used a Ponsness Warren 375 and a MEC600JR to load 16's at variouse times and both made nice folded crimps .

Incidently you WILL still crimp , hence the "roll crimp" . You may not fold crimp anylonger but you will roll crimp and that my friend is still a crimp !