PDA

View Full Version : Convert standard sizing die to bushing?

HangFireW8
01-23-2013, 12:57 PM
After many years of chasing concentricity goals, I've standardized on Redding Full Length "S" bushing dies. (Yes Full Length). The only problem is, they are often out of stock, and for some cartridges, simply don't exist, even some for which there is a listing.

Looking at some standard dies and thinking (always a dangerous thing), I don't see that it would be too hard for a qualified machinist (ie, not me) to drill out the top of a typical die to accept a bushing, and thread it for a retaining plug. The new cavity would stop just at the top of the shoulder, which would be intact for sizing purposes.

Any thoughts on why this would, or wouldn't work? Anyone willing to take this on?

HF

oldscool
01-23-2013, 05:17 PM
There is a guy in Iowa that does this. I think if you google JLC you can find some info.

1hole
01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
"Any thoughts on why this would, or wouldn't work?"

It will certainly work, just a matter of being willing to pay for it.

"Anyone willing to take this on?"

Not me. Sizers are case hardened and that means it will be difficult to do and that means very costly.

My versatile and inexpensive solution is Lee's Collet Neck Die and simply bore out the FL die's neck enough to make it a body die.

HangFireW8
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks oldscool and 1hole. Buckshot is will to give it a try. I'll report back when its done.

HF