PDA

View Full Version : Flag

01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
I didn't want to hijack theperfessor's flag thread, so here goes:

For those members who may want an American flag that has some extra special meaning, one that has flown atop our nation's capitol can be obtained through your local congressman's office for a small fee.

Some years ago, I purchased two and gave them as Christmas presents to our son and daughter, to be kept as family heirlooms. It was an emotional moment, for me, when I had them open their presents at the same time, and explained their flags' history, and what it meant to me.

Edit to add link to contact your representative to order a flag: http://www.house.gov/content/features/story4/

theperfessor
01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
That's a great idea, how big were they?

snuffy
01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I have a "special" flag. My son brought it back with him from Afghanistan, it had "flown" aboard a helicopter gunship while in a support role for ground troupes. All I can think of right now is the Apache.

I first flew it outside my home prior to this last election. Took it down right after that, as I want to save it, Wisconsin winters are hard on anything left outside. Got down to -5 last night, might get above zero today.

01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
In post #1, I've added the flag ordering link, as well as in this post:
http://www.house.gov/content/features/story4/

01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
That's a great idea, how big were they?

The ordering site says the flags are 3'x5', 4'x6', 5'x8', and either cotton or nylon.

The two I purchased were cotton 3'x5'.

theperfessor
01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info, I checked the link and saw the size info. As neat as the would be to have one of those, none of them are big enough for our new building.

But I may just see about getting one for my office later.

ncbearman
01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I have 2 sons that made Eagle Scout in 2 different administrations. I got them each one to be presented to them at their court of honor.

41 mag fan
01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Maybe we ought to take up a collection, and send a flag to each politician we have in office with a letter of what the flag stands for, what the stripes and stars mean and why this flag means so much to the citizens of this country and how they're are each and every one tearing this country apart and causing the eventual collapse of the greatest nation on earth

shooter93
01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Very commendable idea but for me....any American Flag no matter where it was flown is extra special to me......smiles.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks 462. Our congressman had a flag flown over the Capitol and brought it personally to my brothers funeral ((he was a vet) and then stayed for the service and went to the grave site. The Congressman stayed way in the back of the group. I thought that was pretty nice of him.

John Allen
01-23-2013, 09:37 PM
I got one for my son when we were at Pearl Harbor. They are avaialble in different sizes and you can pick the flown date. We picked Dec 7th.

farmallcrew
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
As an Eagle Scout, i sent letters off to various companies for letters of recomendation. I got letters back from NASCAR, NRA, state government. Also a flag that was flown over the state Capital. I even had state reps and a senator at my ceremony.

Of course as soon as me and my parent came home i never saw any of that stuff again, it got put into air tight bags and stored, so it wouldnt get ruined.

The Flag has a very special meaning to me, through scouts, and the Constitution.

"Be Prepared" Molan Labe Dont't Tread on Me

nicholst55
01-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I bought two flags and had them carried over Iraq on combat missions in USAF aircraft when I was in the sandbox in 2005. They came back to me with a nice certificate listing the date, type of aircraft, and with the pilot's signature. Each of my sons has one. My oldest also has the flag that covered my father's coffin at his funeral. I reckon my youngest will get the flag that covers mine when that time comes.

This thread reminds me that I need to buy another flag to display at my house. Guess I'd best get 'er done!

Harter66
01-24-2013, 10:24 PM
I will get as many attaboys as what the hecks.

I bought a 3x5 and took it to work w/me on the Hawthorne Army Ammo Depot. I had about 150 signatures on the flag . That was in September 07' it was done for my son going to Iraq. It hung there on his rack for the 15 months he spent there it came home w/him in 2009. It went w/him to Afghanistan for another 15 months.

It was/is to him probably the best thing anyone ever gave him . Its been "flown"over a 3 US home bases and 3 Camps in Iraqistan.

It will be displayed here in our little town when he comes "home".