PDA

View Full Version : Been doing stuff wrong for over 2 years

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I got a couple of new brass molds a couple of years ago and had trouble with them tinning. I looked at pictures of brass molds and the nice shiny boolits they created and thought you had to get your mold nice and gold colored after each cast. I couldn't figure out why after casting, the mold would look kind of brown instead of staying shiny. I cleaned that mold up real good after each casting session with Barkeepers friend and just couldn't figure out why my mold would turn color after casting. I've done this for over 2 years now. Yesterday I just got done casting and sure enough, there was tinning in the mold and that dang brown color again. This time I saw a post about patina on a brass mold.............DANG! That color doesn't hurt the mold, it helps. I have spent hours and hours cleaning those molds when all I had to do was leave them alone. :-? I just didn't know.........:(............ but now I do. Live and learn eh?

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
I know what you mean. I've done things a like that also.

Bad Water Bill
01-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Isn't this site GREAT

fouronesix
01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Yep, molds get better with "age". Better bullet drop and reduces possibility of tinning. I completely clean new mold cavities (no matter the metal of the mold) with acetone or alcohol, warm the mold slightly then apply some cold blue like 44-40 to the cavities. Usually helps and never hurts.

AmishWarlord
01-24-2013, 08:35 PM
OK here is a funny one from my wood working club.

Guy is working on a nice piece of burled wood that has some voids in it. He ask how he should fill the voids. He's told to get some wood flour and mix it with epoxy. So he looks and finds wood flour online for $12.95 plus $7 S&H

http://www.fiberglasssite.com/servlet/the-125/Wood-Flour-5-Quarts/Detail

He gets it in the mail and opens it. Then he discovers that "Wood Flour" is a marketing term for what we like to call in the work shop SAW DUST!

Yep he paid $20 for a bucket of saw dust. When he has mountains of it all over the place.

Hey I wonder what a can of "Caster's Dross" would go for?

sthwestvictoria
01-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Don't worry, you are not in the league of Crash Corrigan yet with his Can you top this? NOPE (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?41217-Can-you-top-this-NOPE&highlight=nope) thread.

AmishWarlord
01-24-2013, 09:00 PM
LOL, ouch!

Man not one photo of molds with handles in that book?