PDA

View Full Version : Bore Prep For Shooting Lead and Chasing Them w/Jacketed

Bigscot
07-28-2005, 05:11 PM
I have heard various things about shooting lead boolits and bore condition. When shooting jacketed I always shoot from a clean dry bore. I have heard that with cast the bores should be oiled first. Also, does shooting several jacketed bullets clean out some or all of the lead or does it lead to a bigger problem. I am cleaning some guns from shooting lead now. (Took a break to go to the tinkletorium and letting some solvent work) I will be going to the range tomorrow and launching more lead and am curious about this.

BS

Maven
07-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Bigscot, I always shoot cast bullets from a clean, dry bore, just as I do jacketed ones. What you need to do to prep the bore for Pb alloy bullets is to remove ALL the copper fouling that jacketed bullets leave behind: Sweets 7.62 is ideal for this, but you can't leave it in the bore overnight. Do jacketed bullets remove lead fouling? Maybe, but they leave copper fouling behind, which is harder to remove. The former can easily be removed with a "Chore Boy" (copper, no soap) pad cut apart and wrapped around a bore brush. A few strokes (wet or dry) will remove it. Ed's Red (You can make this yourself. Search the archives for a recipe.), WD-40 and Kroil can also be used with the Chore Boy pad or alone to remove lead fouling.

David R
07-28-2005, 07:09 PM
try to read this. You will see like anything else, no 2 agree, but there is some good info here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=1376

waksupi
07-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I use the method, that I believe was suggested by Felix, way back on shooters.com. When cleaning the bore, I will leave it coated with Ed's Red. When ready to shoot, one dry patch through, and then shoot. It seems the cold barrel flyers are reduced.