PDA

View Full Version : Reloading question in general - pulled bullets

gkainz
01-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Don't know if this is the right section but I didn't see a forum for general reloading questions.
Why does one buy surplus ammo, pull the bullets, dump the powder and sell the components separately? I'm thinking it would be much more valuable to me fully assembled?
Or is this the same logic as auto salvage? The sum of the parts are worth more than the whole?
Greg

kd185
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
may be required in the contract with the government to demil as they might not have meet spec, ie to hot, bad brass, to low of a charge etc etc

Jim
01-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Don't know if this is the right section but I didn't see a forum for general reloading questions. Why does one buy surplus ammo, pull the bullets, dump the powder and sell the components separately? .....Greg

Provided the ammo is recent manufacture and/or in good condition, nothin' wrong with shootin' it 'as is'. A lot of guys pull the bullets to reload with the charges they have worked up for their rifles. I do it too. Some milsurp ammo is Berdan primed and not reloadable without special tools for that. So, they pull the bullets for use in boxer primed cases and just trash the nonreloadable cases.

FLHTC
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
I've pulled FMJ's and loaded JSP 's over the same charge for hunting. Unless tens of thousands of rounds are disassembled, its not worth doing anything else. I can see. handloaders doing this, rather than buy the case, primer and powder

WyrTwister
01-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Do not know about now , but in times past Uncle Sugar has sold surplus ammo with the requirement that it be de-milled .

God bless
Wyr

Don't know if this is the right section but I didn't see a forum for general reloading questions.
Why does one buy surplus ammo, pull the bullets, dump the powder and sell the components separately? I'm thinking it would be much more valuable to me fully assembled?
Or is this the same logic as auto salvage? The sum of the parts are worth more than the whole?
Greg

DxieLandMan
01-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Others may want to work up their own loads specifically to their rifle.