PDA

View Full Version : My new Ruger Charger = my perfect bug out gun

historicfirearms
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't know why I didn't get one of these before. The Ruger Charger is a really neat little pistol/rifle. I always thought it was kind of ugly and not practical until I looked at one in my local gun shop.

First of all, I hate any extra thingys hanging off my guns. So, I took the factory bipod off immediately. It might be fun for plinking off the picnic table this summer, but for my type of hunting and shooting, I don't like bipods.

What surprised me about the Charger is that I can actually get a good cheek weld with it. Yes, if I hold it up to my face if feels just like shooting a (short) rifle. I put a red dot scope on it for now and the sight picture is perfect when held as described.

In my opinion, shooting it like a pistol is kind of a joke. If your gonna do that, why not just grab the MK II? Anyway, the Charger will easily tuck into a backpack for concealment. In Michigan, I can legally have it loaded in my vehicle since I have a concealed pistol license. Once my suppressor arrives, I'm going to have a stock 10/22 barrel cut down to about 5 inches and threaded. This will allow me to shoot cheap bulk pack 22 LR and still stay subsonic.

If anyone is thinking about getting a Charger, you better act fast. Ruger is discontinuing the model. Too bad it took me so long to realize the virtues of this neat little firearm.

RobsTV
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Great fun guns.

After a while though, mine became too much hassle. Too large to pop into range bag regularly as a pistol, and you really had to shoot it as a rifle, so carry in its own bag like a rifle. After much debate, several months later sold it and bought the MKII 22/45 for dedicated 22 pistol that does pop into range bag, and a H-Point TS4095 40 S&W carbine to fill the semi-auto rifle void left by selling the Charger.

Fun plinkin up to 100 yards, but with older eyes, needed a scope to see the holes.

1Shirt
01-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Rob makes sense. Fun gun, but sort of an ugly and unweldy critter!
1Shirt!

Buckeye509
01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Definitely Cool! I have a red dot on mine and it kicks cans good at 50-75 yards.

John Allen
01-23-2013, 02:04 PM
I have no idea what I would use one for but I keep looking at them and thinking they could be a lot of fun.

Artful
01-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Once my suppressor arrives, I'm going to have a stock 10/22 barrel cut down to about 5 inches and threaded. This will allow me to shoot cheap bulk pack 22 LR and still stay subsonic.

Might want to make that about 4.5 or shorter to shoot cheap bulk HV ammo at subsonic speeds.

marlin39a
01-30-2013, 08:52 AM
I got one of the Talo red, white & blue laminate models NIB a few years back. Pretty gun, but kind of useless. Ruger has discontinued the Charger, so I guess it's a collectable now.

mikeyd23
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I so wish I could own one...I Love NY!!

historicfirearms
02-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Too bad mikey, I guess there is no way to get a seven round rotary 10/22 mag. Could you get one of the single stack mags and pin or rivet the body so the follower could only go down far enough to accept seven rounds?

I've been playing with my new charger on days when it hasn't been below zero, and man this thing is fun. It brings back memories from when I was a kid and my dad let me shoot his 10/22. He'd get so mad when I blasted off 10 quick shots, told me to quit wasting ammo. I never thought it was a waste, the faster I pulled that trigger the bigger my smile got.

Combat Diver
02-03-2013, 01:36 PM
There are 5 rd 10/22 mag but if I read NY new ban it states it he promises not to load more then 7rds in the mag (10 rd mag) made before the date he is ok. Here's the law as it was pasted in NY.
http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=S02230&term=&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Votes=Y&Memo=Y&Text=Y

CD

I'll Make Mine
02-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Shouldn't be hard to install a stop in a 10/22 magazine if that's what's needed for New York compliance -- just like a YouTube video I've seen where a blind rivet is installed to limit capacity in AR magazines for California compliance. Could also make a three-round dummy replacement that loads into the magazine before the seven permitted rounds; it wouldn't strip out with normal rifle operation (though the law might require such a stop to be "permanent", i.e. require tools to remove).

marlin39a
02-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Perfect bugout gun? Check the ZIP. www.zipfactory.com

HATCH
02-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Perfect bugout gun? Check the ZIP. www.zipfactory.com

I been looking at them
$200 suggested retail price
Shame that most are selling for $100 more then that.
I think I am gonna buy one.

historicfirearms
02-03-2013, 09:15 PM
I thought the Charger was weird, that Zip is out there! Great, another weird gun I now "need".

Twinkiethekid
02-07-2013, 08:34 PM
That is really cool! I don't think thats legal to own in my state of Democrats!!