PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about S&W Sigma...

shooting on a shoestring
07-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Does the S&W Sigma leave it's striker at rest, or partially cocked like Glocks? It seems the trigger pull on the Sigma is heavier than Glock, and I know that Glocks leave their strikers about 60% cocked. So I was wondering if the Sigma with the heavier trigger pull was doing more striker cocking. Anyone know or have an opinion?

lastmanout
07-15-2007, 10:01 PM
If you look inside a Glock and then a Sigma, you would think the parts interchange. Glock was sueing Smith and Wesson years ago because it was such a close copy of the Glock. I would tend to think the Sigma operates EXACTLY like a Glock. On my old Sigma, you had to cycle the side to reset the trigger ( it had no second strike option, same as Glock). The Sigma had better ergonomics, but was not as reliable and could not complete with the original Glock in the police market. I think it is out of production ???

shooting on a shoestring
07-15-2007, 10:46 PM
I've been seeing the Sigma in .40 and 9mm at Academy both priced at $299. I've been thinking of buying an auto b/c my CHL will need to be renewed in about a year. The last time I shot for the qualification, I used a rented Ruger auto and missed a perfect score by one point. Here in Texas, if you shoot the qualification with an auto, you can carry either an auto or revolver. But if you qualify with a revolver, you can carry only a revolver.

I don't hear much about the Sigma. What was your experience Lastmanout?

By the way, I fit that brass grip frame to my BH, polished it, and really like it. Thanks again.

trickyasafox
07-16-2007, 12:23 AM
I saw a used one come into a local shop about a month ago. I think the sticker was 200-220? it was the older version. I've never fired one so i can't comment on performance, but i got to hold it and it felt solid and fine.

danski26
07-16-2007, 01:53 AM
I fired one a couple years ago. The owner raved about how good it was. It jamed twice in the first magazine. The owner fiddled with it a bit then we got a couple mags through it before it jamed again. The one my buddy had was a lemon. I can't say about anyone elses. He got rid of it after that range session.

LGS
07-18-2007, 04:34 PM
As A Glock armorer I can tell you that the Glock is not 60% cocked. The Glock works by the trigger moving the striker rearward then releasing. The reason people think it is partly cocked is the firing pin block keeps the striker from moving forward until the trigger is pulled. A friend of mine had a SIGMA. He had trouble with the trigger spring breaking but I think Smith fixed this problem. Anyway he sold his. Smith still makes the SIGMA for export sales and has sold several thousand to the US government for issue to the Afghan police. See S&W website. Stay with the Glock it has a long proven track record. My department just traded in a some of our older Glock 22's for newer ones with the light rail, nice feature.

The one I carried was purchased in 1992 and has been shot a lot, for a LEO weapon. We qualify 3 times a year, plus training and warmup shooting at each qualification. Anyway my gun fired has fire about 15000 rounds over the last 15 years. The only Malfunction I can remember was some dirt under the extractor. Stay with what works.

9.3X62AL
07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
We had a few deputies carrying the Sigma pistols, I wasn't real impressed with them. Most had to go back to S&W for repairs. The magazines looked cheap and shoddy to me.

The Glock is light-years ahead of the Sigma in terms of reliability and durability. I don't consider the Sigma one of S&W's better efforts.

rbstern
07-20-2007, 06:15 PM
The Glock is light-years ahead of the Sigma in terms of reliability and durability. I don't consider the Sigma one of S&W's better efforts.

The newer Sigmas ("E" models, stands for Enhanced), which were redesigned after the lawsuit, suffer from the reputation of the old Sigmas. But it is undeserved, IMO.

My experience is that the E model is an excellent, reliable, highly ergonomic pistol. Its one drawback is that the trigger is long and spongy out of the box. It lightens and smooths considerable after a few hundred pulls.

One could do a lot worse in a carry pistol than a Sigma E.

44man
07-20-2007, 07:35 PM
A friends girlfriend was talked into one and she hated the trigger pull. I ordered a reduced power firing pin spring from Wolfe and it feels much better. Fires every time too.

shooting on a shoestring
07-20-2007, 09:01 PM
I've shot and carried revolvers since childhood. I've been pleased with every revolver I've owned. I'm thinking I'd be pretty hard to win over to the autos. A cheap one would probably be money wasted. Long squishy trigger pulls don't sound appetizing.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll consider a CZ75, or maybe a 1911 of some make. I don't intend to carry an auto, just qualify with it. If I get one that shoots well, I just might get more enjoyment for the dollar than with a cheapie.

9.3X62AL
07-21-2007, 12:50 AM
The CZ-75 is one hell of a fine pistol for a reasonable price--I think very highly of mine in 40 S&W.