PDA

View Full Version : Can You Tell me the type ?

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-23-2013, 12:22 AM
Picked this up [146 lbs] and smelted it yesterday and on the third refill the ingot disc I got were showing a gold tint to them and i had the tin film attaching to my stainless ladle while pouring them so I dont think its pure.

Is this pipe joint lead pure or an alloy and if an alloy do you know the composition,
and what should I mix with it for use in 9mm, 357mag and 45acp.

Thanks Steve

runfiverun
01-23-2013, 02:34 AM
it's water pipe.
the curvy spots are joints they usually are filled with 50-50 solder.
no telling how much was used.
but a pound of 50-50 wouldn't be out of the question.

P.K.
01-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Picked this up and smelted it yesterday and on the third refill the ingot disc I got were showing a gold tint to them and i had the tin film attaching to my stainless ladle while pouring them so I dont think its pure.

Is this pipe joint lead pure or an alloy and if an alloy do you know the composition,
Thanks Steve

Looks like the joint stuff. The color you describe reminds me of some scrap I got from an old HS Chem lab, gold was just one of the many colors I saw that day. Can't help with the make up but for sure there is some tin in there.

Defcon-One
01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Looks to me to be lead pipe joints or maybe lead seals from cast iron pipe joints. Either way it is Lead with some Tin in it.

Nobody can tell you how much from a picture, but if you are seeing golden skim on your pot and ladle, I'd guess it is fairly high in Tin content.

I'd get it tested (If you can!) or just use it like solder to sweeten COWW lead.

Jim
01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Those are caulk joints from cast iron sewer pipe. I've poured thousands of them and recognize them immediately. There is a remote possibility that there's tin in the mix, but not likely. Plumbers use 'plumber's lead' to caulk cast iron pipe joints. It's manufactured toward that purpose and no tin is used in producing the product.

runfiverun
01-23-2013, 02:52 PM
if there's no tin you would see purple and blue swirls in the lead too, and the ingots would have a bluish tint to them.

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
if there's no tin you would see purple and blue swirls in the lead too, and the ingots would have a bluish tint to them.

They do not, Very silvery look to them and a slight ting to them when hit with each other.
I will try to get some pics tomorrow of the ingots.
Steve