PDA

View Full Version : MN 91/30 Question

lefty_red
07-15-2007, 08:40 AM
I've been hearing that they are dangerous due to not having something that could cause hot gases to blowback on your face. This has me a little worried about shooting and aquiring another 91/30. Is it true and what are they talking about?

Red

RU shooter
07-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I've been shooting the Mosin Nagant rifles for quite a few yrs now and even with almost complete case splits with milsurp ammo and some pierced primers I have never had any serious amount of gas blow by the bolt in into the face. Dangerous? Not hardly! They are completely safe with any milsurp or sane reloads.

Oldeyes
07-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Not exactly true.....Mosins do not have a bolt shroud like the 98 Mausers, which shields the shooter from a gas jet, BUT the multipiece bolt design allows a gas leak to bleed off in several directions. I had a primer blow out and the majority of the discharge leaked at the bolt head/connecting bar junction while only a little made it thru the firing pin channel in the bolt body. The mag well was filled with soot and I ended up doing a complete tear down for cleaning since I was shooting corosive ammo. The cocking piece was forcefully blown back into my thumb, so a redesign of the trigger might allow a self-cocking Mosin (lol)
BTW, I was shooting heavy ball ammo in a Finn M28 that was throated for light ball only. Pressure spike!!
Safety glasses are wise no matter what you are shooting.

EMC45
07-15-2007, 02:30 PM
+1 on the safety glasses.

txpete
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
you only get issued 1 set of eyes.
I have never had a problem shooting any of my mosins but it only takes once ...
pete

lefty_red
07-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I have a Russian in nice shape. I'm wanting a Finn 28!

I have shot my Russian and it is ok. I'm ordering a MOJO sight for it after my Enfield gets back from the gunsmith (recoil pad and new front sight).

BTW, I saw an article on converting the Enfield to 7.62 x 54r. It was on the JFPO website. Might get around to doing that if "Monty" doesn't do well with factory ammo.
http://www.jpfo.org/smle.htm

Red

Ricochet
07-15-2007, 11:31 PM
I think they're about as safe in that regard as most bolt rifles. You could get your forehead directly sprayed from a burst case. That has happened with 1903 Springfields and others. You definitely should wear good eye protection when shooting any firearm.