PDA

View Full Version : Breech lock classic cast

357Ruger
01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
One of my favorite single stage reloading presses is the Lee Classic Cast. I was thinking about adding the newer "Breech Lock" version but noticed it doesn't use the same hollow ram primer catch system. That is one of the best features of the original.

Anybody know why this feature isn't included on the Classic Cast Breech Lock version?

VHoward
01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
I don't know why. I do know that Hornady's lock-n-load die bushing conversion kit will fit the Lee Classic Cast press though so you can have breech lock style die changes. I also don't know why Lee just doesn't offer a retrograde kit to add the breech lock system to the Classic Cast press.

357Ruger
01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the input. I've been considering buying the Hornady LNL to try in my Classic Cast. Just wondering if anybody knew why the Breech Lock (BL) version doesn't use one of the best features of the original. I was getting ready to try the BL version until I saw a good picture of the press and realized the primer catcher feature wasn't the same.

I will probably try the LNL feature in my Classic Cast as you mentioned and see how that works. I've no desire to buy the new press and lose one of my favorite features on the original.

UNIQUEDOT
01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Just wondering if anybody knew why the Breech Lock (BL) version doesn't use one of the best features of the original.

Yes, Lee took the most requested features from customers and combined them in the BL classic cast press. For some reason most users preferred the primer disposal feature of the breech lock challenger to that of the classic cast.

DLCTEX
01-25-2013, 11:32 PM
I was noticing that yesterday while perusing their new catalog. I use the Lock and Load bushing kit in my Rockchucker and really like it.

VHoward
01-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Yes, Lee took the most requested features from customers and combined them in the BL classic cast press. For some reason most users preferred the primer disposal feature of the breech lock challenger to that of the classic cast.
That's surprising to me. I have the breech lock challenger press. The spent primer disposal on it is one of the worst features it has. They go all over the place. 50% of them never make it into the collection tube. Being made from soft cast aluminum is really a bummer too. Mine is already worn out after 4 years of use. The ram wiggles side to side quite a bit now. The only saving grace was that it was an economical starting point to see if I was going to like reloading.

VHoward
01-26-2013, 01:03 AM
Another really surprising thing to me is the answer I got from Lee to my inquiry. I emailed them asking if they would be offering a conversion kit to convert the classic cast to work with the breech lock bushings. The reply was that the engineers had looked into that and said too many parts would have to be changed out and would not be logical. The way I'm thinking, only one part would need to be swapped out. The old adapter to allow use of standard size dies would be removed and a conversion adapter for the breech lock installed. Not hard or illogical to me.

Casting_40S&W
01-26-2013, 11:01 AM
"The spent primer disposal on it is one of the worst features it has. They go all over the place. 50% of them never make it into the collection tube."

If you put the primer arm in the ram, every primer will go where it needs to go, its really simple.

1bluehorse
01-26-2013, 01:00 PM
What I read about the primer disposal on the breech lock (remember it came out after the regular model Classic) was some/all/Lee didn't think the catch tube going up with the ram was as good as the tube "staying" put on the press, or something like that...

joec
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I have a Lee Classic Cast single stage and went with it over the breech lock version do to the fact I needed a press that would take a 1 1/4"x12 Die as well as a 7/8"x14 die. Now it is the only one that will that Lee makes and I picked up the Hornady Lock-N-Load conversion which give me the best of both worlds. It is also my understanding the new Lee Classic Breech lock has a different system but does have the drop tube similar to the Lee Classic Cast or Lee Classic Turret uses.

VHoward
01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
"The spent primer disposal on it is one of the worst features it has. They go all over the place. 50% of them never make it into the collection tube."

If you put the primer arm in the ram, every primer will go where it needs to go, its really simple.

I was using the primer arm. Still the worst feature of the press. I much preferred the spent primer catching on the classic turret where they fall down inside the ram into the tube. Hardly any fell where they weren't supposed to.

zuke
01-27-2013, 10:05 AM
If going with the Breech lock feature, why not go to the LEE Classic Turret press?

joec
01-27-2013, 11:30 AM
If going with the Breech lock feature, why not go to the LEE Classic Turret press?

I actually have both as well as a Lee Breech lock hand press.

357Ruger
01-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels they removed one of the best features when making it a Breech Lock. I never used the priming feature on my original Classic Cast and filled up the slot with JB weld so when depriming all of primers go down the ram into the attached tube.
The Breech Lock not having the original primer catching feature makes it a no go for me. Guess I will buy another original and try the Hornady LNL.

joec
01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
This is Lee's latest press using the Breech lock and has the tube disposal system if you look at the manual for it. Though it doesn't feed of the bottom of the ram this is a problem?

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-bl-classic-cast-press-90999.html

VHoward
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Yes that is the one we are talking about and yes it is a problem. With the breech lock classic cast, the spent primers fall out the side of the ram and that small silver colored plate on the side supposedly directs them down into the collection tube. On the original classic cast, the spent primers drop through the ram out the bottom of it into the collection tube. I have the breech lock challenger press from lee and it has the same spent primer collection system as the breech lock classic cast. About half of the spent primers end up on the floor instead of in the collection tube. I also had a lee classic turret. The spent primers on it drop out the bottom of the ram into the collection tube like on the original classic cast. Rarely did I have a spent primer not make it into the collection tube.

joec
01-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Yes that is the one we are talking about and yes it is a problem. With the breech lock classic cast, the spent primers fall out the side of the ram and that small silver colored plate on the side supposedly directs them down into the collection tube. On the original classic cast, the spent primers drop through the ram out the bottom of it into the collection tube. I have the breech lock challenger press from lee and it has the same spent primer collection system as the breech lock classic cast. About half of the spent primers end up on the floor instead of in the collection tube. I also had a lee classic turret. The spent primers on it drop out the bottom of the ram into the collection tube like on the original classic cast. Rarely did I have a spent primer not make it into the collection tube.

Thanks I wasn't exactly sure since I have only the Lee Classic Turret and Lee Classic Cast not the lock an load type. I converted mine over to something similar to the breech lock with the Hornady conversion kit but it requires a press with a 1 1/4 die size and converts it to 7/3" die size.

WyrTwister
01-28-2013, 09:47 AM
That's surprising to me. I have the breech lock challenger press. The spent primer disposal on it is one of the worst features it has. They go all over the place. 50% of them never make it into the collection tube. Being made from soft cast aluminum is really a bummer too. Mine is already worn out after 4 years of use. The ram wiggles side to side quite a bit now. The only saving grace was that it was an economical starting point to see if I was going to like reloading.

Did you lube the ram ?

I have a die cast Challenger press . The frame is also made of aluminum or zinc . I have used it 15 , maybe 20 years and the press frame is not worn out , where the ram passes through it .

God bless
Wyr

VHoward
01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Yes, before every loading session.

Casting_40S&W
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
I tried all weekend and and was unable to make a primer hit the floor. The L-Shaped primer arm needs to be installed in the ram to direct the flow of spent primers into the trough. If this primer arm is not in place, about 50% will skate out on the floor.

VHoward
01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Those primer arms have been in the ram during the decapping process. Maybe I just got a dud in that regard, Otherwise it was a fine press while it lasted. After I started using it to cut and form gas checks using Pat's tool, it has gotten where the ram is sloppy in it. Apparently, the aluminum casting doesn't stand up to that.

Casting_40S&W
01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
The breech lock classic cast is made out of cast iron so we're not even talking about the same press

VHoward
01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
I know but my comment was about the spent primer collection method and why I didn't like it.

VHoward

Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post

If you notice, this is where I was responding to Uniquedot. I have bought a non-breech lock classic cast. I bought it because it had the through the bottom of the ram spent primer collection system and it is made of cast iron instead of aluminum. It replaced the breech lock challenger. I emailed Lee to see if they could make a conversion kit for the breech lock bushing for it and Lee says it is impossible. I have since placed an order for the Hornady Lock-N-Load die bushing conversion kit to work with the classic cast. To bad too because I already have all the of breech lock bushings I needed.