PDA

View Full Version : Be careful at the range!

500MAG
01-22-2013, 09:28 PM
I went to the local store that carries reloading supplies today,on my quest for primers, and the shelves were cleaned. There were a few odds and ends. Clerk said that everyone and his brother were buying reloaders and supplies. He said they have been asking all kinds of how to questions. Scary thing was that the shelf with all the manuals was still full. Bad enough that they made a run on all the Ar's now I have to worry about standing next to them at the range. I'm not saying that people can't learn to do things right. I just worry when they try to rush to learn something that can be disastrous.:holysheep

Silver Eagle
01-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Just what we need is some idiot to blow himself and others to heck. Next thing after that will be the pending legislation about the "hazards and dangers" of reloading.

uscra112
01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I've been watching this. It seems that all the action is around the military calibers. Other calibers not so much affected. On GB you can't hardly buy any milsurp 5.56 and/or 7.62 j-warts at all, and if you do find them they're as much as a buck apiece. Meanwhile 6mm bullets are going begging. Ditto dies - -even swaging dies for .22 are disappeariinig.

Love Life
01-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Why spend $30 on a manual when you have the internet? Everything on the internet is true...

runfiverun
01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
and you get the answer right there on your phone.
why bother perusing through a WHOLE book.
who ever thought the cell phone would be the death of the printed [umm and spoken] word?

btroj
01-22-2013, 11:42 PM
What? Manuals can be read?

The club I belong to had a group who showed up a few times exerted to as a van full of idiots. Blazed away with magazine after magazine of 223 from ARs. They aren't around any more. So sad.

gbrown
01-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Can you say "YouTube"? Everything you wanted to know (true or not) about everything! Ouch. Spare me!

km101
01-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Why spend $30 on a manual when you have the internet? Everything on the internet is true...

Yeah, a guy walked up to me on the skeet range last weekend and asked if I reloaded shotgun shells. He said he was having trouble with his reloads. He showed me several 12ga shells that had tape over the crimp (to hold it closed I guess) and said that he was having trouble with his crimp. I asked him what load he was using and he said it was "something he saw on youtube! He did not know anything about reloading shot shells. He just bought a loader and components, watched a video and started loading! And he couldnt understand why all that "stuff" wouldnt stay in the hull! I left shortly thereafter! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

429421Cowboy
01-23-2013, 11:45 AM
It is getting scary, everybody is entitled to a chance to reload but i know some people that shouldn't have a drivers licence much less load live ammuntion!
I was at our local big-box outdoor store the other day when i ran into a guy that couldn't speak english trying to communicate with the reloading manager enough to get a press setup. Not saying he shouldn't be alowed to reload, but manuals and instructions seem to be pretty much english these days!

oldred
01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
I have mentioned this one before but it scares me every time I think about it, a guy I knew bought a Lee hand loader for 45/70 to load for his Trapdoor but he knew exactly nothing about loading. To determine how much powder to use this genius simply pulled a bullet from a factory Remington 405 round and measured the amount of powder that came out, he then loaded his cases with that amount of BULLSEYE under a Speer 400 grain jacketed bullet. When he bought the powder he had also bought a Lee hand loader to load 38 specials with and the clerk had told him Bullseye was a good powder for that, powder is powder I guess!:groner: When he brought his rifle to our make-shift range we had set up one weekend he was describing his new venture to us and was anxious to try his new reloads however we refused to let him attempt to fire any and he left in a huff after we attempted to explain how dangerous the rounds he had loaded were. Fortunately what we told him did sink in enough for him to ask someone else who told him the same thing so he never attempted to fire these things which IMHO would have turned that old Trapdoor into a pipe bomb with the strength of a small nuclear device. I think Bullseye can be used in a 45/70 case, I'm not sure but I think I may have seen some loads for it, but this was about a half a case full under a 400 grain Jacketed bullet and was to be used in an original Trapdoor.

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Hey when the die leaflet says 16.8Gr Maxium charge you can just round that off to 20 right? I mean really, who is going to sit there and trickle out 16.8 in powder? :roll:

When asked what time it is, they look at watch, [3:23] then say, "It's half after 3".

"Rounders" have no place in reloading!

On the shotgun guy. I'm sure he took the shells and filled them with powder up to where the brass stops.

I Fly RC airplanes as a hobby also. The planes have suggested engine sizes of .25 to .45, These guys put .60's or .90's on them and then tell everyone that the plane won't fly good with anything less. I'd hate to see these guys get into reloading.

oldred
01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey when the die leaflet says 16.8Gr Maxium charge you can just round that off to 20 right? I mean really, who is going to sit there and trickle out 16.8 in powder? :roll:

When asked what time it is, they look at watch, [3:23] then say, "It's half after 3".

"Rounders" have no place in reloading!

On the shotgun guy. I'm sure he took the shells and filled them with powder up to where the brass stops.

I Fly RC airplanes as a hobby also. The planes have suggested engine sizes of .25 to .45, These guys put .60's or .90's on them and then tell everyone that the plane won't fly good with anything less. I'd hate to see these guys get into reloading.

You hit nail squarely on the head, too many people just automatically take the attitude that everything they do must be "souped up"! How many of us know shooters that push everything to the limit? There are guys I know that load rounds I wouldn't shoot on a dare and they just laugh when someone tries to explain what could happen, these are the people we hear about sometimes who come to these forums trying to figure out what happened. Taking it to the edge and beyond may be ok for some endevors but not reloading! Some guys just insist that if the right amount is good then a little more must be better and too much should be just right!

Freightman
01-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Old suppose to be experienced loader was at the range awhile back with a Mosin Nagant he had re barreled to 50 cal shortened made some 50 cal from 348 win cases went to shoot them. I was at the far end of range, he set off the first charge and couldn't get the bolt open took a hammer and beat it open, chambered another round and same thing but this time the handle on the bolt broke off so he couldn't do any more. Thankfully he didn't hurt any one that time. Went to the range two weeks later and there was a hole in the sheet tin roof, ask what happened and was told this same man had blown up his "Custom" Mosin. no one hurt.you do not have to be a newbie to be stupid some old hands invented that.

john hayslip
01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Years ago I had a friend who didn't seem to be satisfied if the bullet didn't turn into a grey mist on the way to the target. On the skeet field his 20 gauge hulls from his Remington 1100 went about 25 feet away when he shot. He owned a Winchester automatic version of the 88 (100???) in 308 which he handloaded for and had sent back to Winchester 3 times because it would go full automatic and they had returned it each time saying they could find nothing wrong with it. I loaned him Nonte's book on reloading that had a chapter on loading gas guns and it warned that one could get a gas gun to go full if you loaded too hot. Went over in a couple of weeks to recover my book and asked him how it had gone. His reply,"It worked out correctly so I couldn't shoot it as fast as I wanted and I traded it for that 270 bolt gun in the corner." It isn't just the new ones.

Love Life
01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Since we are on the topic of max loads I will say that the majority of rifles I have fooled with the max or fastest load was not the most accurate. Now my Remington 700 classic in 223 likes a max load of Benchmark under the 53 gr SMK HPFB bullet.

Sine Waves and nodes and all that neat stuff! I thought casting was addictive until I jumped into long range shooting...

frkelly74
01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
I have offered to tutor people in reloading but so far have a perfect record of negative responses. Too much work/hassel/expense/time involved, and so it goes. They would like me to load some for them and charge them $.06 ea though.

xacex
01-23-2013, 02:10 PM
They would like me to load some for them and charge them $.06 ea though.

Oh yes, I have those friends who lay out those generous offers as well. Not on my dime buddy. You pay to play, and that means get on the bench and do the time. The reward is ammunition for .06 a piece.

Artful
01-23-2013, 07:12 PM

That's not true

But what I said is true

But NOT everything on the internet is true

Well that's true
:twisted:

TXGunNut
01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
I went to the local store that carries reloading supplies today,on my quest for primers, and the shelves were cleaned. There were a few odds and ends. Clerk said that everyone and his brother were buying reloaders and supplies. He said they have been asking all kinds of how to questions. Scary thing was that the shelf with all the manuals was still full. Bad enough that they made a run on all the Ar's now I have to worry about standing next to them at the range. I'm not saying that people can't learn to do things right. I just worry when they try to rush to learn something that can be disastrous.:holysheep

I noticed the same thing last weekend. In addition to newbie reloaders on the range I'm betting we'll be seeing a cottage industry of newbie reloaders selling their ammo to unsuspecting customers.
You can bet I'll be checking out what the guy on the next bench is shooting. May have to sell off some surplus ammo to pay my income taxes, seems rather ironic.

oldred
01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
That's not true

But what I said is true

But NOT everything on the internet is true

Well that's true
:twisted:

But it's GOT to be true, it says so right there on the internet!

AmishWarlord
01-23-2013, 08:38 PM
"I'm betting we'll be seeing a cottage industry of newbie reloaders selling their ammo to unsuspecting customers.", TXGunNut

What? You wouldn't buy one of those zip lock bags of ammo at the gun show and shoot it in your favorite gun?

3006guns
01-23-2013, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=TXGunNut In addition to newbie reloaders on the range I'm betting we'll be seeing a cottage industry of newbie reloaders selling their ammo to unsuspecting customers.

Oh, Lordy..........I hadn't even thought of that! I wouldn't shoot someone else's reloads anyway, but some poor fool who can't find any ammo will buy a couple of boxes of overcharged dynamite and get hurt. Oh, boy! :(

TXGunNut
01-23-2013, 08:58 PM
You wouldn't, I wouldn't, but someone silly enough to pay $3k for an AR-15 will get some ammo anywhere he can.

Dale in Louisiana
01-23-2013, 09:03 PM
What? Manuals can be read?

The club I belong to had a group who showed up a few times exerted to as a van full of idiots. Blazed away with magazine after magazine of 223 from ARs. They aren't around any more. So sad.

Yeah... when your ammo's going for a buck or better a round and it's almost impossible to find even at that price, you tend to rethink your range time.

dale in Louisiana

PS Paul
01-23-2013, 09:09 PM
I have tried VERY hard to be an ambassador for reloading. There are now no less than 7 guys out there in the world who I have tutored and right now I am tutoring two more. One just got his new single-stage press. The OTHER guy was told, by someone on a tactical forum, that he should start with a Dillon progressive. I was able to dissuade him and get him into a turret press. Gotta learn to crawl before walking and running, eh? Kinda Scary what people will tell you on the ego-web, you know??

The cautions above are one of the reasons I shoot on WEEKDAYS and not on weekends. Nice when I am often the only guy on the pistol range!! Seems to attract a more "experienced and mature" level of shooters on these days too.....

Ed Barrett
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Hopefully in 6 months to a year we will see all that reloading equipment at yard sales. And maybe it will be real cheap!!!

Hardcast416taylor
01-23-2013, 09:40 PM
I have offered to tutor people in reloading but so far have a perfect record of negative responses. Too much work/hassel/expense/time involved, and so it goes. They would like me to load some for them and charge them $.06 ea though.

You forgot the biggest lament, "Takes to long to load up a bunch of blastin` ammo"!Robert

wv109323
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I was in the local Cabela's (Charleston,WV) and observed the things that were sold out. I did notice that the Lyman reloading manuals were gone. They had at least four the last time I was in there before the panic. They did have some that were not there the last time. Hornady Nosler and a couple others.

429421Cowboy
01-24-2013, 12:28 AM
Hopefully in 6 months to a year we will see all that reloading equipment at yard sales. And maybe it will be real cheap!!!
That has been a hope of mine as well once the calm restores!

runfiverun
01-24-2013, 01:47 AM
there wasn't much after the last one.
once it's all set up on the bench it ain't coming off,till someone pulls down grampa's stuff.