PDA

View Full Version : A sight for an M1D barrel ?

Jack Stanley
01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Fellas if you had an M1D barrel laying around and you thought of putting it together into a rifle with the idea of using a dot type sight how would you go about it ?

I'm thinking a mount would need to be made to get the sight directly over the bore . I don't want to go with long eye relief scope , a dot sight might be fun to fool with .

Thanks , Jack

MtGun44
01-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Bushnell makes a really small red dot that might work. Since it is short, it could go in the
scout position and still clear the action to load, I would think.

Bill

Jack Stanley
01-24-2013, 03:03 PM
I wonder if B-Square or some other mount company has ever tossed around the idea of making a mount for the M1D barrle that had a short rail on it . Bill you might be right , some of those sight are real short and handy .

Jack

msp2640
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Jack - Do you have your heart set on using the M1D barrel? I think you'd be hard pressed to find mount that will adapt to the scope block that will allow you to utilize any type of rail system. Just my thoughts, but if you went with one of the EER rail mounts, that attach to the barrel (a standard barrel though) ahead of the receiver (replace the rear handguard) and then used one of the "black rifle" quick release scope mounts, that have the rings extending forward or backward depending on which way the mount is installed, then it may get you close to what you're seeking. Over the bore, near the top of the receiver, but I'd be worried about the loading and case ejection with that set up. As I'm sure you know, a real deal M1D barrel in good shape is worth quite a few bucks and if you parted ways with it, it could easily fund your mount(s) and dot sight set up. Another thought would be to try modifying an M1A rail mount (I'd start with a cheap aluminum one) it may get you close to over the bore, but may intruded into the functioning as well - Good luck either way - Bill in MA

Jack Stanley
01-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Bill , thanks for the schoolin' , I did not know that there was a mount available for a standard barrel . Making the M1D barrel work is not something I had my hear set on doing mostly because it is in excellent condition and I didn't want to mess it up . That's why the idea of having a mount "adapter" . I know that putting the "D" barrel on can be a trick so I was going to have DGR put it on and finish it at the same time . But if there is a mount for a standard barrel , I can wrench one of my spares onto one of my recievers that's been cryin' for something to do .

Jack

msp2640
01-26-2013, 03:36 AM
Sorry I can't help you on the company(s) who make the barrel mount. I've seen pics of them on the CMP site. Basically, the mount is a two pieces, the bottom part bolts to the top and together they wrap around the rear of the barrel just forward of the recceiver. The top part has a machined weaver style rail. With the mount installed, it completly replaces the rear handguard and is clearanced for movement of the op rod. Not sure if the mount is alloy or steel. As the mount is forward of the receiver, an EER scope would be needed. I wish I was more well versed in the nomenclature of the parts, but the quick release mount I'm referring to, attaches to the weaver rail of the barrel mount and the built in scope rings are extended forward or rearward, if the mount is flipped. I know there are many makers of these scope mounts and they're probably available in both 1 inch and 30mm. With the mount extended over the receiver, it may allow for decent/ normal eye relief. Either way, it centers over the bore unlike the offset mount on the D barrel. Depending on which angle your bolt ejects empties, the scope or dot sight might take a beating from the ejected brass. I'm still thinking the would be an issue with loading the clips into the receiver though with that set up. Bill

msp2640
01-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Jack - These are versions of the two mounts I was referring to:

barrel mount http://www.ultimak.com/M12.htm

optic mount http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548141657/burris-ar-pepr-1-piece-extended-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-rings-flattop-ar-15-matte

Not cheap, but may suit your needs. While searching, I also found this mount that may interest you, but it's offset like the M1D mount.

Scope mount http://www.fulton-armory.com/scopemountw1-inrings.aspx

Good luck - Bill in MA

Jack Stanley
01-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks very much Bill ! That Ultimak may be just the thing if it holds the mount forward of the reciever . A fella could mount a dot sight and charge the rifle normal that way .

Jack

Jack Stanley
01-27-2013, 10:59 AM
I got to nosing around with Google last night and saw some nice photos of Garands with the Ultimak scout mount installed . I think I like it before I buy I would like to see how it clamps to the barrel . Maybe I'll ask the gun plumber if he's ever seen one mounted up and how it worked .

Jack