PDA

View Full Version : Do you ground your press against static electricity?

daddyseal
01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
I've read that some people do.
If you do, could you please explain why?

thanks in advance~

boltons75
01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
I could only think because of loading black powder cartridges..

daddyseal
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
My thought was that it possibly could interfere with smooth powder flow from the hopper.

o6Patient
01-22-2013, 07:49 PM
A static charge arc could ignite any type of powder. My upstairs in the winter time, unless a humidifier is
running, is very conducive to static charges. My wife wears slippers or what ever around the house and
if she touches anything ..zzaap, especially me. If I were loading in these conditions I would make sure
I was grounded (discharged). I always loaded down stairs where it is more humid(basement) and never
had a problem. If you have a static charge on you and your reloading equipment is grounded it obviously
would help promote a static discharge. My new reloading room will be on a rubber floor so there shouldn't
be a problem, but I will probably have my bench grounded to siphon any static charge off.
My feeling is that nothing needs to be grounded as such..everything, including you, has to be at the same
potential. That is the main reason for the grafite coating on your smokeless powder is to conduct static charges
from your dissimilar materials such as your plastic hopper to your metal measure, maintaining a
potential commonality.
..clear as mud?

jmorris
01-22-2013, 07:58 PM
All of my presses are grounded. Only because they are bolted to a steel bench that has outlet boxes welded to the underside. Loaded for decades on wood benches with no ground and cannot tell any difference.

DCM
01-22-2013, 08:15 PM
My thought was that it possibly could interfere with smooth powder flow from the hopper.

A dryer sheet wil take care of static on the powder hopper.

If you ground your equipment it may become a path for static charge from you to ground.

If you live in an area with a lot of lightning bond as much metal in your buildings to ground as possible to reduce the chance of deadly side flashes. If it is all at the same potential it wont jump.
The arc is much more of a problem than the electron flow as it is "as hot or hotter than the sun".

Do I ground my presses, no.

williamwaco
01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Don't do it for 60 years.
Don't know anybody who does it.

This is the first time I ever ever heard it mentioned.

Next cold day, if I remember it, I will test it out.

1hole
01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Ditto ^^

'74 sharps
01-22-2013, 08:24 PM
The static setting off black claim has been debunked many times. I have not read about the effects on smokeless.

Dave C.
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
I have my tools grounded. I get better uniformity when dropping small charges (under 5 grains of powder).

Dave C.

o6Patient
01-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Static is only a problem where it exists, if you don't have a static problem then you don't have a problem.
I always loaded off a wooden bench and wood is pretty neutral, to say it's not usually negative or positive
so potential from either side wouldn't typically discharge and I never had a problem. The first time I had
a static discharge at my reloading bench I would certainly rethink it for sure. If your equipment is anchored
to the bench and you are in contact with the bench there shouldn't be any difference in potential.

gwpercle
01-23-2013, 06:28 PM
I have never heard of or read anywhere about grounding a press. But if you wanted too you could use the method the utility company used to ground work trucks when parked under power lines, a length of steel chain was bolted to the truck and dropped on the ground. The static electricity would then not build up...the chain was the ground. Bolt a chain to press and let it touch the floor.
gary

Old Caster
01-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Check this site. It covers it so well there can't be much argument.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/electric_ignition/eignition.html

MtGun44
01-23-2013, 11:10 PM
+1 on William.

Bill

daddyseal
01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/electric_ignition/eignition.html

Very Interesting, friend!
But my interest was not ignition, but static electricity possible interfering with accurate powder drops.

Bonz
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Great topic, I have never thought about this at all. I have never seen any reloading press setup for grounding.

daddyseal
01-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Great topic, I have never thought about this at all. I have never seen any reloading press setup for grounding.

Thanks~
In my quest to learn all that I can, and move towards consistency in powder drops...I'm exploring many things.
I had read someone mentioning that before, so I thought I'd throw it up here for the more experienced folks here to ponder.
I also came across this that will help too (to possibly help powder measure drop more smoothly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqarHdON4Rg

o6Patient
01-24-2013, 05:46 PM
I watched the youtube video daddyseal, oh my goodness; I don't know anybody that would
paint the inside of a powder hopper with dry lube.
I liked the kids enthusiasm and he has gotten "stuff" partially right but one needs to take
youtube instructions with a grain of salt.
I'm going to say this again clearly I hope:
The main reason smokeless powder is coated with graphite is to combat static charges!
It lends other desirable characteristics in the process which is a very happy coincidence
for the chemists that have to engineer this "stuff".

o6Patient
01-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Maybe I need to state this differently, if you have smokeless powder in your hopper and

you have not used any other lube that might insulate your measure(electrically) rather

than bleed it off like graphite will, there should be no affect from static on the charge accuracy.

Unless of course you have a powder measure that doesn't bleed off a static charge as

perhaps a plastic one might not. I would suspect Lee's black plastic does contain an amount

of carbon hence the black color...although I do not know this as fact..but they do have qualified

engineers I presume. But I do believe plastic measures would be more static prone than say a

metal one.

daddyseal
01-24-2013, 06:46 PM
I watched the youtube video daddyseal, oh my goodness; I don't know anybody that would
paint the inside of a powder hopper with dry lube.
I liked the kids enthusiasm and he has gotten "stuff" partially right but one needs to take
youtube instructions with a grain of salt.
I'm going to say this again clearly I hope:
The main reason smokeless powder is coated with graphite is to combat static charges!
It lends other desirable characteristics in the process which is a very happy coincidence
for the chemists that have to engineer this "stuff".

I know, a huge rock of salt.
At this point, I'm not talking about static issue, just frictionless/smoothness of tubes
I think I might do that only in the throat of the dropper and bottom inch of hopper.
Having an opaque hopper is asinine ~

And Lee's "Pro" powder measure has design flaws.
One of which is the bottom of the hopper is flat and round, except for a small pea size opening in the edge of that flat round area. I'm going to make a funnel that directs the powder to the hole, instead of onto the flat bottom.

mazo kid
01-24-2013, 07:25 PM
If I find powder sticking to the hopper, powder funnel, etc. I give a couple of wipes with a dryer sheet and the problem goes away.

John Boy
01-24-2013, 08:35 PM
There are many that avoid charging black powder with metal or plastic chargers that are not approved by the vendor for fear that potential static electricity will cause an explosion. Yes?
OK, check this out ... Gardner Bender Non-Contact Voltage Tester

In the tester's directions, this is what it states:

Static Electricity - The tester is subject to electrical static interference. If the LED or tone actives a single time, it is detecting the static electricity in the air. When detecting voltage, the LED and tone will activate repeatedly

So, add this tester to your reloading accessories. Time to reload? Pull out your Voltage Tester, press the On-Off button momentarily and if it activates a single time ... well, the decision is yours! :wink:

btroj
01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
I have never heard of anyone grounding a press or a powder measure.

I suppose it could be a problem but I doubt it. One would think the NRA in the past would have mentioned it. Heck, I haven't seen a word about this in old load manuals or any books by the good old boys of lore.

7of7
01-24-2013, 09:54 PM
I have never heard of anyone grounding a press or a powder measure.

I suppose it could be a problem but I doubt it. One would think the NRA in the past would have mentioned it. Heck, I haven't seen a word about this in old load manuals or any books by the good old boys of lore.

Most likely, when the old load manuals were written, and most of the good old boys were younger, there weren't as many lawyers wanting to sue the manufacturers for stupid things.. I think most of the static electricity stuff, is cya.. If they don't warn against it, they can be sued.. I don't worry to much about it at all. I use my RCBS powder measure to measure black powder.. and pre-measure my charges.. works great, and I have had people telling me that I am really quick at reloading my muzzle loader...

oldtoolsniper
01-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Maybe they would have wrote about it but when they realized they had discovered a new problem they were on to the next life.

LabGuy
01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
I have read in shotgunworld.com reloading forum that it’s not that unusual for shot shell reloaders to do, and recommend grounding of a press to remove static charges to improve consistency of powder drops. But for all I know it’s just an old wife’s tail… I live in Florida not sure what low humidity really is anymore.

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Yo John Boy- cool tool.
I sent for one; been wanting one to trace out circuits so even if
it doesn't work for static it's something I needed anyway so thx
for the reminder.:wink:

Dan Cash
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
A static charge arc could ignite any type of powder. ...

I challenge you to demonstrate your claim. It is very hard to bring myth and superstition to the realm of reality.

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 02:18 PM
I challenge you to demonstrate your claim. It is very hard to bring myth and superstition to the realm of reality.
What would you have me do? blow myself up? ..if you don't believe an electrical arch could ignite
gun powder than that is terrific..I firmly believe it can. As I said that is why graphite is on the outside
of gun powder is to prevent static build up..that is fact..research it yourself.

good luck and God bless you

nekshot
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
I sure needed a static charge in my flintlock last hunting season! All jokes aside this is interesting.

daddyseal
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
I sure needed a static charge in my flintlock last hunting season! All jokes aside this is interesting.
I bet~!
But black powder isn't the smokeless kind we use...it's manufactured differently.

r1kk1
02-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Good link. This topic was brought up a couple of decades ago on another list. I've never worried about one way or the other. Over time and before the advent of replica powders, the No. 11 for instance, was replaced with a musket cap. Now I've seen 209, sm rifle primed cases, to ignite the newest stuff.

An interesting read is Ned Roberts book, The Muzzle-Loading Caplock rifle.

Take care

r1kk1

Dan Cash
02-01-2013, 08:28 PM
05 Patient, you are nuts. What are you a patient of in 06 or any other time.

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 08:45 PM
..you may be right Dan
and thank you for giving me the credit for inventing physics, but
I assure you I don't deserve the credit.
God bless

1bluehorse
02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
when I bought my first Lee measure, (that was about 1995) and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, it said to run at least three hoppers full of powder through the measure before using...I've not had any issues with static causing inconsistant charges in the Pro series, or my RCBS measures...the powder does not stick to the hoppers or other parts. I've never grounded (dedicated) a press on my bench and I guess maybe I'm still lucky to be alive..but when loading I wear a tin-foil hat and rubber flip flops so maybe thats the ticket [smilie=1:...I've also read when shooting, if you put a couple rubber washers around the barrel of the rifle it will be more accurate as it will change the barrel "harmonics" :roll:..any other dumb stuff you guys want to discuss...:mrgreen:

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I think daddyseal asked a very legitimate question with this post.
Folks that think it "dumb" probably should look at a different thread.
regards

KYCaster
02-01-2013, 11:21 PM
I had issues with static cling when using Lee Auto Disc measures, so I grounded the press and it seemed to help some.

I made brass bushings with various ID's which fit into the largest disc aperture.....that improved the situation more.

I gave up on the discs and replaced them with the adjustable insert......that was a huge improvement, but still had some issues, especially with small charges.

I solved the problem completely by throwing away the Lee junk and getting Hornady powder measures.

Life is good. :drinks:

Jerry

1bluehorse
02-01-2013, 11:35 PM
I think daddyseal asked a very legitimate question with this post.
Folks that think it "dumb" probably should look at a different thread.
regards

I didn't say it wasn't a legitimate question, (how many reports of reloading explosions have you read or heard about that was due to static electical charge) and the dumb part was the rubber washer on the barrel thingy...thank you, but I'll look at and contribute (?) to whatever thread I choose...if you don't like my responses then feel free to carry on to the next reply, I won't be offended...

o6Patient
02-02-2013, 07:30 AM
I had issues with static cling when using Lee Auto Disc measures, so I grounded the press and it seemed to help some.

I made brass bushings with various ID's which fit into the largest disc aperture.....that improved the situation more.

I gave up on the discs and replaced them with the adjustable insert......that was a huge improvement, but still had some issues, especially with small charges.

I solved the problem completely by throwing away the Lee junk and getting Hornady powder measures.

Life is good. :drinks:

Jerry

Life is good Jerry! (as long as one can resist the temptation to battle wits with an unarmed person. lol)
[smilie=l:

daddyseal
02-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I Love This Forum because it is so Active~!
Thanks to all who gave your thoughts and opinions~!!

Yes..."Life Is Good"