PDA

View Full Version : Ogive Reamers?

sprinkintime
01-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Is there anybody out there making Ogive Reamers? either from a CNC Lathe&Mill or CNC Tool Grinder.
Sprink

DukeInFlorida
01-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Contact JtKnives, a member here at this forum......

He's making custom reamers, etc...........

Tell him Duke sent ya.

sprinkintime
01-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks Duke

marten
01-23-2013, 02:42 AM
Simple enough to make yourself, no fancy machining needed.
Hardest part to get right is the hardening but even that is not rocket science!

BT Sniper
01-23-2013, 03:52 AM
A book could be written on bullet die reamers, Corbin already did, probably a bit more info out there too. A lot of info here amongst the many smart and tallented members. I consider myself pretty capable now at making quality swage dies but everything I learned came the hard way threw the lessons learned from a lot of failure, blood, sweet, tears and the substanial cost $$$ related to a lot of tryle and error. Corbin atleast had SAS to learn from and I certainly am greatful for the help I have received from many here as well as a bit from the info Corbin has posted on his site as well. Certainly not to say those techniques are what I use now, I had to find what worked best for me.

The point form die reamer and resulting point form die is the most difficult to master, atleast at a production level where results have to be perfect and repeatable. Most anyone with a bit of patience can spend a long enough amount of time to achieve one or two usable point form dies and be rewarded for their efforts with good bullets from a die they didn't have to buy, but if we added up the labor and multiplied it by minimum wage??? well..... it is a lobor of love in that case for sure since by that point it would have been cheaper to buy a custom carbide set of benchrest dies, but many of enjoy making things ourself.

I tried it all for reamers and had "acceptable" sucess with point form die reamers I had made myself. It would have been cost proventitive for me to attempt sucessful repeated results from such reamers, I simply didn't have the expensive tools and machines or possibly skills needed to make perfect point form reamers. Maybe you do? Others here have made good looking reamers and others probably have the expensive machines.

Anything is possible, it is only a matter to what degree you are willing to go to achieve your sucess. In my opinion point form reamers are a trade secrete when it comes to making swage dies, atleast in my case for business and profit. Maybe that's why there is little info to be found? For personal use there is good info here on this site, one must evaluate the cost of what it takes to make a good reamer and what degree of quality they are looking for in a reamer and the bullets the resulting die makes. After the time and money I spent in my learing process Corbin's prices for his dies seemed like a bargin.

p.s. not to mention the lead times if you look into having one made for you from a credible company, that can easily be 6 months last time I checked when there wasn't the demand there is now and then to realize you need to have a second reamer made because you didn't give yourself enough fudge factor or too much and it took you 6 months to decide to contact the company in the first place!! ....... Ok enough of my sad story :violin:

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

sprinkintime
01-23-2013, 12:06 PM
BT, I don't mean making D-Reamers I have been making them will quite good success. I trying to find a tool and cutter grinder that has a nc type grinder, I have all the fixtures to make the ogive on my lathes, but for me I want just a little more. I have already made 3 sets of .224, 2 sets of .308 and now I'm working on some 45 and they good. Sprink

BT Sniper
01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Cool! Guess I was in a talking mood last night :) yep I was thinking of Martin's fluted reamers and I think KTN posted some of his work here too. Suppose I could have searched your previous posts, I tend to posts answers more generial in nature to those that may not have attempted the feet of such things.

Keep us posted with your success.

Good Shooting and Swage on!

BT

OneShotNeeded
01-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Ok, I've been messing around for the past year or so trying to make a good point form die. I've come really close only to be thwarted once again by some unforseen enemy. I'm now toying around with an idea and wanted to get a few ideas. Couldn't one take a standard drill bit chuck it in a drill and grind the appropriate point, re-sharpen the edges and go from there? Just an idea. Any help or a shove in the right direction would be great.

Reload3006
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
yes you can do that but the results are not that predictible as drills have a funny tendency to walk. they will follow a hole if you can get one smaller through again you will want to be undersized and either buy a lap or make one to finish the pf die.

sprinkintime
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Ok, I've been messing around for the past year or so trying to make a good point form die. I've come really close only to be thwarted once again by some unforseen enemy. I'm now toying around with an idea and wanted to get a few ideas. Couldn't one take a standard drill bit chuck it in a drill and grind the appropriate point, re-sharpen the edges and go from there? Just an idea. Any help or a shove in the right direction would be great.

I just don't think that will work very well, just making a D reamer a little under and then polish & polish, I have had good luck in doing this I just wanted to try and have a fluted reamer made and try that.

OneShotNeeded
01-29-2013, 07:57 AM
The fluted reamer sounds even better. Where can one purchase something like that. I've looked at most custom sites that make different bits and such but none have anything remotely like what I'd like. I'd be willing to pay someone on here to make one for me. Just trying different things in hopes something might work.

Reload3006
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
What yo are wanting is a custom reamer. There are several custom reamer makers out there you would have to send a drawing and ask for a quote. They aren't going to have a reamer like your asking for sitting on the shelf.

sprinkintime
01-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Reload3006, that's what we are trying to find out where are these custom reamer people, somebody must know. sprink

Reload3006
01-29-2013, 01:46 PM
http://toolinghouse.com/reamers-specials.aspx
http://www.newmantools.com/gam.htm
http://www.thomasnet.com/southern-california/custom-reamers-66231507-1.html

You will have to contact these manufacturers and tell them what you are wanting them to make for you and they will give you a quote. I think you will find that they will be very expensive. That is why BT and Corbin Dr. Blackmons tools are expensive. It costs a lot of money to quire the tooling needed to make these dies Honestly its money ahead to just buy the dies unless you are planning on making them to sell to recoup your tooling costs. That would be point form. If you have a lathe and the talent making a core swage die or a core seat die is no big deal and easily done. its the point form die that requires all the special reamers and laps to make a good die. Good luck Let us know how it works for you.

deltaenterprizes
01-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Dr Blackmon makes his own reamers, we have talked on a few occasions.
Making the reamer is not the hard part, sharpening it to cut to the dimensions you want is the challenging part. That is the part that has stalled my boolit mold making venture.
Reamer making was common in old time shops but has become a lost art in modern
shops because production shops can make them better and at less cost than shop made reamers.
Reamers with a radius present another dimension to the sharpening process.
A beautiful reamer ain't worth beans if it won't cut or if it won't cut to the dimension you need.
CNC sharpening machines are capable of wondrous feats but are costly.
Swaging reamers can be slightly undersized but must leave a smooth finish, the undersized cavity can be opened, a cherry needs to be on size or slightly over.

OneShotNeeded
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Reload--- thanks for the links. One more question actually several more what type of reamer would I be needing? Chucking reamers , straight shank, etc. I'm assuming that chucking reamers are just that, a reamer that you would chuck in the drill chuck on the tail stock correct? I can use a lathe and know basic functions and principals, just tryin to learn more and get a broader knowledge base.

Reload3006
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
I think your best bet would be to contact the reamer mfr and tell them what your set up is along with a drawing of what it is your wanting to make and get a quote they will be better able to tell you what you need than I will. remember though if your making a point form die you will still need a lap so make sure you get a reamer a couple tenths undersize so you can lap to finish.

OneShotNeeded
01-31-2013, 05:18 PM
That is what I needed to know. Thanks.