PDA

View Full Version : Hornady primer pocket tool

TNtrapper
01-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey guys,
Ive always used commercial brass for my .223....BUT I was given 2000 once fired Lake City military brass 5.56 casings last week. Now Ive got to remove these primer crimps. I was going to order a RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo but seems with all the demand these are sold out everywhere. How does the Hornady or Lyman hand tools work? Ive been able to locate these and was thinking of ordering one. Im new to military brass so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!:-D

Possum
01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Some people are using this as a substitute:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-six-flute-countersink-93342.html

oldtoolsniper
01-22-2013, 12:06 PM

If you go with that thing from horrible freight you may want to read the reviews on their web site. It is not carbide and it is not sharp nor is it intended for metal. Other than that I bet it's perfect...

Get the Hornady, I have one and it's good for about 3500 military crimps. I use mine on the RCBS prep center. As you can see from the picture it is shaped like a primer and you cut till it stops (flat on end) and the primers will fit. I have the RCBS swager and the crimp remover for the prep center. I prefer the Hornady no adjusting just cut till it stops.

TNtrapper
01-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks Oldtool! Thats what I was looking for. I placed an order today from Midway for one. Ive been wanting a prep center but just never could justify one until now. I just ordered the Hornady bit to rig up on my Dremel tool at slow speed......but after seeing that prep center i might just have to break down and finially get me one. Have any of y'all ever tried the Hornady prep center? Ive looked at both and cant decide between the two.

RKJ
01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
I know you've already ordered it but I just used one on about 1000 LC 5.56 brass and it did a great job. Very fast, neat and easy. I chucked it in my potable drill and did them by hand. I would suggest getting a pair of gloves like these http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/berkley-coated-fillet-gloves/0000000076110 (Walmart has them for a couple of $$) they help a lot.

TNtrapper
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Yessir... those gloves are great! I bought some like them in the bulk bags here at our local CO-OP. I use them here on the farm to change oil in the tractors with. You can really get a grip on those slippery oil filters with them!:)

TNtrapper
01-22-2013, 07:30 PM
I also noticed that Lyman is making a prep station now too. Anybody have preferences between them?

williamwaco
01-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Primer pocket crimp remover.

In 60 years, I have never found anything that can beat a 3/8" drill bit for speed and results.

Yes, you will ruin three or four cases while you are learning the "touch"

turtlezx
01-22-2013, 08:55 PM
+++++++++++ 1 on the drill bit
i use 1 just a little smaller than the pocket dia and wobble it
around to do the crimp

oldtoolsniper
01-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I have not used the Hornady prep center. You can see what I use. That being said I bought one of the worlds finest trimmers to trim my brass. If you look at the upper left tool post you can see the lee shell trimmer I modified for the RCBS prep center. It works and is very accurate but you have to chuck each case in the holder tool. I have the Wilson trimmer, RCBS Pro Trim (non-Motor), lee trimmers and the worlds finest trimmer. On my 223 I use the WFT now since it is fast, accurate and it eliminates chucking each case. Not a big deal for fifty cases but 1000 is a different story. I have not found the easy way to prep brass, each system has it's pluses and minuses. You just have to decide what works best for you.

I shoot AR-15 (223) in volume and they were not ever meant to be "Sniper" rifles. I was a Infantry Weapons Repairman for 23 years in the Marine Corps. The M-40 in 7.62 is the Sniper rifle. It's bolt action and made to be accurate at 1000 meters. Ar's are for hitting a man sized target at 500 meters anywhere on the target from a prone position. That is not accurate, it's combat. Those targets don't have ten rings.

When I load for my accurate bolt rifles I use the Wilson and I pretty much only neck size. My point and I will stop my spiel is that a firearm like a case prep tool is just that, a tool made for a purpose. Find the tool that works for you and leave the hype to someone else.