PDA

View Full Version : had a prospective swager come by yesterday to see the process

DukeInFlorida
01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
I had bootsnjeep come by yesterday to see the swaging process. Matt was interested in seeing BT Snipers tools and the process, to help him make decisions about buying into the tool set.

I was able to show him the. 224 set process, add well as some quick parts off the two step 40 to 45acp/lc set.

Matt pointed out that bullets are already impossible to find.

I was also able to show him my derimming machine.

We spent several hours talking swaging, casting, and reloading. Matt is a knowledgeable and experienced reloader and caster. I'm pretty sure he'll be joining the ranks of swagers soon.

I have another castboolits member coming this weekend for the same reason. Will follow up again after that presentation.

Brian, take good care of these guys.

Hamish
01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm glad to hear that you were up to the visit!

DukeInFlorida
01-22-2013, 09:32 AM
I am getting around better, and able to pull on the handle of the press. And, have cast some cores...
And managed to clean up the shop to start the presentation.

So, ready for anyone who wants to come by and swage.

2wheelDuke
01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
If you weren't clear on the other side of the east coast, I'd visit to see the swaging process in action. Good to hear you're doing better.

bootsnthejeep
01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Orville's got a hell of an operation. I don't know if he has other hobbies, but he's certainly whole-hog for that one.

I admire people with one hobby. As opposed to my... well... Project and Activity ADHD.

Orville was very generous inviting a relative stranger to his home to see his well organized operation, and I felt bad that in his current state he felt the need to clean and organize his reloading room for my visit, only to watch it quickly unravel again as he eagerly pulled out box after box, bucket after bag to show me different swaging operations, experiments, raw materials and finished products.

Intriguing isn't even the word. It's downright fascinating. A scrounger and tinker's dream. Taking scrap and making projectiles.

Like he said, my main interest is in making feed for my AR. Back when I got it, bulk ammo was plentiful and inexpensive. I did the math and it was within 10 or 15 cents to reload versus buy. Was my time and aggravation worth 10 or 15 cents a round?

Would be NOW.

But now ammo is non existent and prohibitively expensive, same for projectiles. So something's gotta change.

It's a lot of money to invest, but I'm doing the math, and it's either ditch the AR or just never shoot it. Or get into swaging for the same reason I got into casting.

I've got the bug pretty bad. Just trying to figure out a good way to start.

Again, big thanks to Duke. Clever guy with a good operation, and a real wealth of information.

runfiverun
01-23-2013, 12:00 AM
matt:
i doubt you are gonna find anybody better to learn from.
duke has it down about as pat as you are gonna get.
good to see you posting again too.

BT Sniper
01-23-2013, 04:02 AM
If anyone makes it out to the Pacific NorthWest, stop by. :)

Sasquatch-1
01-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Duke, I hope you are keeping warm. I looked at the temperature map this morning and most of Maine is in the sub zero actual temperature range. Looked like the coldest place in the lower 48.

shooter1
01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Great post all, I hope to be able to do the same with someone close.

Three44s
01-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Careful ..... LOL!! I live in Eastern Wa. and have relatives in Vancouver Wa. and travel I84 to get there!!

Duke's generosity is also duly noted!

Thanks to both gentleman!!

Three 44s

BT Sniper
01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Yep, You would have to travel right by me :)

cba257
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Received my core swage die a few days ago. Excellent craftsmanship and quality. Defiantly worth the price and wait. 8-)

Thank-You Brian!!

Cody

I don't live that far from you.....

7of7
01-23-2013, 08:11 PM

I am in Lynnwood.... so feel free to stop by too,,,

Sasquatch-1
01-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Received my core swage die a few days ago. Excellent craftsmanship and quality. Defiantly worth the price and wait. 8-)

Thank-You Brian!!

Cody

I don't live that far from you.....

Boy I hope this is a typo!:D [smilie=1: Brian, Are your prices that high?

DukeInFlorida
01-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Add up the same items from Corbin, and see where you are..............

Brian's work is better and less expensive.............

BT Sniper
01-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Depends what you are looking for. I still offer my famous improved CH 40 cal one step die for $225.

For the popular set of 22 cal dies, yes if one is interested in everything I have to offer it is a little over $1K. It might not be for everyone, and that's unfortunate but just the way it is I guess, I choose to make the best set of dies availble rather then attempt to make them cheap. If they where easy to make Lee or RCBS would offer them.

Look at how many people would jump at the chance at an AR-15 right now for $900, heck even $1500 many would consider a bargin, or top that nice riffle with a quality Night Force $1K scope. What if ammo prices stayed high and difficult to obtain? What if Corbin, Blackmon, others and myself sudenly closed shop and what 22 cal swage dies we made was all that would ever be availble? Sure these might be far fetched questions or they could very well be the high cost of a future reality. My prices where set for 2013 in December last year. I offered a %10 sale for purchases made before end of year. I have not gouged the price of my dies simplly because of the latest crazy developments in the gun and ammo indistry.

Things don't often get cheaper and those that currently offer swage dies are not getting any yonger. I feel my prices fairly reflect my labor involved and the qualilty of the final product. I'll am proud to offer these high quality dies to anyone that is ready to experience the pride and freedom from all those that attempt to regulate our shooting rights and needs. Everyone might not want to spend this much on a set of quality dies but those that do will feel a great satisfaction with their purchase and the ability to make their own.

Good shooting and Swage On!

Brian

plus1hdcp
01-24-2013, 02:06 PM
I will vouch for the quality of the dies which I have received so far. I purchased the 22 die package from Brian and am in line for the core swage and point dies. I do wish he had the dies in stock so my order would have shipped at once but in some aspects it may have been better to receive them in partial shipments. I have taken the time to prep hundreds, don't know how many, 22lr brass casings and cast and swage the cores. I am anxious to get to the finished product but I will say his products are worth the wait.

I also do not know how to put a value on having the freedom of price fluctuations and product availability of finding projectiles.

gjemba
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM
saquatch1 was joking about the spelling in the quote that he included. Defiantly worth the price and wait.

I didn't want him being criticized due to a mis-understanding. It should have said definately, not defiantly.

Sorry for being the language police, but it seemed like he was going to get unnecessary abuse. Also, please ignore any of my mis-spellings. I can spell, just can't type.

BT Sniper
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Ahh heck!!! I see it now, just because we have spell check it doesn't make my gramor skills any better. I think my reply is still OK, glad I didn't get on too high of a soap box

Sorry about any misunderstanding!

Defiantly vs. Definitely I understand now :)

Thanks guys!

Brian

runfiverun
01-25-2013, 02:38 AM
i dunno that is one heck of a slogan...

Sasquatch-1
01-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Just so everyone is clear (in case they didn't understand the smilies) my response was meant as humor. Sorry if anyone got the wrong idea.

BT Sniper
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Yep, where all good!

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

DukeInFlorida
01-26-2013, 08:31 PM
So, today I had another Cast Boolots member, Jon, also come by to see the swaging process. Jon's been casting for three years, and would like to graduate to swaging. The cost of tools is a real issue, on anyone's budget. However, for young guy, it's a great investment.

We reviewed the .224 process, and then covered some of the other calibers I swage for. I sent Jon home with some samples that he helped make.

We also discussed gas checks (not exactly a swaging discussion), and set up my 30 caliber FreeChex III tool set in an arbor press, and ran some aluminum gas checks. Jon is just getting ready to start casting for 30 caliber, and wanted to discuss the use of gas checks. We also talked about alloy selection for rifle vs pistol boolits.

I enjoy sharing what I know regarding reloading, casting, and swaging. I'd invite anyone else who is in my area to come by and see what is going on, and how easy it is to swage high quality bullets.

bootsnthejeep
01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Yeah, we never got around the the FreeChex machine. I may have to stop out for another visit. Still would like to see that tumbler too, once it gets above freezing again.

DukeInFlorida
01-27-2013, 12:13 AM
Matt, you're welcome to come by any time. I needed to bring that rotary tumbler in from the barn to clean up some derimmed brass that I am about to anneal. And the gas check tools are pretty straight forward. You're welcome to make some gas checks to take home.

cba257
01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Oops........[smilie=1: I agree, dang spell checker.

What I would like to state is; Brian makes quality merchandise and I plan on being a repeat customer. Following the comments about the .243 boat tails.....:mrgreen:

Cody

DukeInFlorida
01-27-2013, 06:41 PM
While my buddy was here today, assisting with fuel transfer from the barn to the house, we also brought in the rotary tumbler.

After annealing the derimmed .22 lr jackets, I will tumble in ss media, and work with bright and shiny brass for making bullets.

Salmon-boy
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Duke's knowledge and willingness to share information is well appreciated (by me anyways!) He does well in demonstrating BT's dies. I was visiting him for a purchase and he convinced me on the .44 dies (have yet to order) and seeing the video of his .224 dies convinced me to order a set for my current need..

DukeInFlorida
01-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi Chuck!
Glad to see you stop by.

You should be ordering every die set you can get.. Parts (projectiles, etc) in Massachusetts will become impossible to procure at some point................ You'll need to make your own.
Casting are nice.... but swaged bullets are tactical! Er... um... better than castings.....

nhrifle
01-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Duke... swaged bullets are tactical? Tactical??

Guys! Help! Duke's turning mall ninja on us!

DukeInFlorida
01-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Very little of my ar15 practice time is shooting swaged bullets at circular paper targets.

Bottle targets is more like it, with multiple threats being the norm.

I'd call that tactical.