PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye Shooting

Gliden07
01-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Gonna start shooting Bullseye matches at my club again. I use to be a consistent 270-285 shooter (292 was my high). Pulled it out disassembled it cleaned it all up, relubed it, reassembled it, new battery in the Acudot. Went to club and Zeroed the Acudot then, shot a full match for practice. Shot a 263!! Not bad for not touching it for 5 years!! My question is I was thinking of getting a new optic for it I want to shoot Bullseye (indoor) and Steel Plates (outside) wanted to get 1 optic to cover both. The 2 I've been looking at are the UltraDot MatchDot II (30MM tube) and the Fastfire III (Open type) it comes with a cover so you can shoot outside. Any opinions on which would work better for both??

NSB
01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
I actually own both. If it were me, I'd opt for the UltraDot II.

bobthenailer
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I am also a Bullseye shooter since 1975, I have been shooting High Master class for about 20 + years , but im finding it harder to do so at 65 years old , last year my average was 292 , my highest average was 296 .
Most of my handguns as well as a few rifles have red dot sights on them , a God send for my tired shooting eyes, ive owned most of the popular brands & types over the past 20 years or so, ranging in price from 35 to 600 dollars, they all have + and - s .
A Ultra dot is a top choice ,the only down side is there field of vew is smaller than most other 30mm styles i have used .
As far as the variable size dot models ive owned 3 different brands Tasco ,Redfield & Weaver , the dot size tracking when changing dot size is not allways exactly repeatable! Ok at close range but at longer distances is where it shows up the most. I havent checked the tracking on Ultra dot sights. some are better than others though.
I my self use a fixed dot size sight for BE , a Aimpoint as well as a fixed dot size Ultra Dot 30mm,
for action shooting games such as steel plates ect on a 22 or centerfire handgun i use the old Tasco pro point + that has a large field of view with a 42MM tube as well as 4 different dot sizes . that works extremely well for me , as i never loose the dot or target !
on rifles i use a 30mm tube fixed dot size
Some brands i currently own
Aimpoint, various models
Burris fast fire 2
Trijucon
Pride Fowler /special ops
Tasco , various models fixed & variable dot size
Ultra Dot 1" and 30mm
Redfield ESD , fixed & variable dot size
And a few other brands that i got rid of costing up to $350.00 because they were IMO inferior in dot roundness and or paralexx . Leupold, Doctor, Truglo.

Gliden07
01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Well either way it will be a few weeks before I get either one small budget big plans!! More research costs me nothing!! LOL!!

Dave C.
01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Ultra Dot.

Dave C.

wv109323
01-26-2013, 02:49 PM
I would recommend the 1" Ultra-dot for bullseye only but the Match ll may make more sense if ypu plan to participate in both disciplines.

Ol' Butch
01-26-2013, 11:37 PM
My choice is a UltraDot 30mm MatchDot with adjustable dot size.

Allows use of smaller dot for 6 O'clock hold, or a larger dot to cover the black for a center hold.

These hold up, even slide mounted on a .45 auto They come with split rings and sun shields.

whtsmoke
02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
how times change, we used iron sights on our handguns. those were some good times back the with good people.

gkainz
02-06-2013, 12:17 AM
how times change, we used iron sights on our handguns. those were some good times back the with good people.

Agreed. Although old eyes could appreciate a little enhanced sight picture nowadays.

A friend talked me into trying an action pistol shoot this weekend - not sure if I can get the hang of two hands on the pistol... Lol. Although if I can't find some more mags, sounds like this will have to be postponed.