PDA

View Full Version : Recovered cast bullet.

Dennis Eugene
07-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Guys I lurk here alot but seldom post but thought this might be interesting.Took several revolvers out shootin' today and found an old oil filter/luberefiner. It resembles a fire extengushier, ok so I can't spell it at least I know how to use one, I had 3 screww's in 357,and 44mag also had a NM in 45 colt also had my FA in 454 and took the 45 colt cylinder along also. The only round that would penatrate the heavy metal of the filter houseing was the 454 loaded with RCBS simi wadcutter gas check in 300 grains drops from my mold at 305 with straight ww's doing 1350fps they penatrated it easiely. While walking back from the target I found one of my 44 mag bullets an RCBS 44-250-K, drops from my mould at 263 grains had these comeing from my OM Flattop at 1150 fps they dented it good but would not bust through. I really liked the look of the recovered bullet I think I hit the round cylinder straight on. The bullet only weighed 164.3 grains when recovered but had mushroomed to better than 3/4 of an inch at .763 or so. any way here's a couple pics of recovered bullet http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/79966/CGBFP-P1010100.JPG http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/79966/MJUON-P1010097.JPG D.E.C.

44woody
07-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Dennis Eugene first welcome to the board I found that your thread was neat I liked the pictures of th 44 mag bullet that was cool :castmine: 44Woody

MT Gianni
07-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Nice photos Dennis and a hearty welcome aboard. gianni.

45nut
07-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Welcome aboard :cbpour: Dennis. An ex- S.E. Alaskan here .

454PB
07-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Glad you came out of the shadows and posted this. I find it interesting that the boolit didn't shatter. Most of the time they do when hitting metal. What alloy was that?

I used to have a set of home made swinging gongs in my own shooting range. They were 4" diameter cut from 3/8" mild steel and welded to 1" heavy wall pipe that was attached to a hinge. This allowed continual shooting without having to reset anything. I fired many thousands of rounds at this set up, and never found a complete boolit....most turned to very small shards and dust, and there was a ditch formed by the shards striking the ground. The only time I ever had any bounce back from shooting at these was when I used FMJ .45 ACP bullets.

Junior1942
07-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Years back I was shooting 45 Colt ww alloy, 900 fps or so, bullets at cans on an oak log out maybe 30 yards. One of the bullets bounced straight back and hit me in the leg. It hurt like H-E-double-L and left a nasty bruise. Didn't break the skin probably due to my blue jeans.

WHITETAIL
07-15-2007, 08:04 AM
D.E. Welcome to the forum. And great pic. I do think it is good to post pics. so people can get abetter idea of what happened.

Dennis Eugene
07-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, The bullit was a straight WW I water dropped, I've smashed them with a hammer to see how they hold up and they smash pretty flat with out comeing apart. How ever that being said I believe this one to be a fluke and think that most all will shatter and come apart hitting metal like that. I did half heartedly look around for another but found not even pieces of one. I did find this one to be interesting if only as an exception and not as the rule. I figger it hit straight on and the stars were all alineged perfectly and duplicateing the event may not be possable. But now that you have me thinking I may set up some heavy metal and give it a try. D.E.C.

OLPDon
07-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Dennis:

Next time you shoot a cynlinder place it in a large cardboard box biger the box the better you will get to see if the boolits breaks up and recover more of the scrap, and you will have a record of grouping.
Don

Ricochet
07-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Years back I was shooting 45 Colt ww alloy, 900 fps or so, bullets at cans on an oak log out maybe 30 yards. One of the bullets bounced straight back and hit me in the leg. It hurt like H-E-double-L and left a nasty bruise. Didn't break the skin probably due to my blue jeans.
I had exactly the same thing happen to me last fall. Shot a Lee 452-160-RF of soft lead out of my Walker replica (over 60 grains of Pyrodex, close to 1000 FPS) through a pop bottle into a railroad tie. Bounced back and hit me in the shin hard enough to hurt. Like gravel from a slingshot. I had on jeans, and it left a small bruise, no broken skin.

MtGun44
07-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Wow! Ricochet, you've gone fully slick! I wouldn't have known you
without the name.

I hope this is just a whim and not chemo-induced, as I have had
several friends get this 'look' without planning to, if you know what
I mean.

As to the topic, we get similar results from IPSC steel - pieces bounce
back and really smart when they hit you, plus we find similar bases
laying around the steel after the match.

Bill

454PB
07-16-2007, 12:24 AM
I had exactly the same thing happen to me last fall. Shot a Lee 452-160-RF of soft lead out of my Walker replica (over 60 grains of Pyrodex, close to 1000 FPS) through a pop bottle into a railroad tie. Bounced back and hit me in the shin hard enough to hurt. Like gravel from a slingshot. I had on jeans, and it left a small bruise, no broken skin.

So now we know why you are Ricochet!

Ricochet
07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I got ricocheted good.

No chemo, just electric shaver. First time I did that back in 1997, it got folks whispering, but I never did lose any weight and kept on ticking. I let the hair grow back out a couple of years ago, then decided one morning in April it was time for a change again.

MGySgt
07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
FWIW

When ever shooting at a flat hard surface (steel) if you make sure you tilt it slightly downward, most all ricochets will go down in the dirt with very little chance of a bounce back.

I even had bounce back shooting a bow at a harder then normal target butt - that was an experience that I really do not wish to see again!

Drew

454PB
07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
FWIW

When ever shooting at a flat hard surface (steel) if you make sure you tilt it slightly downward, most all ricochets will go down in the dirt with very little chance of a bounce back.

I even had bounce back shooting a bow at a harder then normal target butt - that was an experience that I really do not wish to see again!

Drew

On my gongs, I guarantee you they were tilted slightly downwards after a hit with a 320 gr. .454 Casull[smilie=1:

targetshootr
07-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Check out this ricochet. Kind of funny, kinda not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_516lll2Ck

Ricochet
07-19-2007, 07:22 PM
What do you reckon that guy was shooting with his .50?

BOOM BOOM
07-20-2007, 03:12 PM
hi,
holy crap!