PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Win Slug hulls with Lee slugs

milfab
07-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I've just started casting Lee 1 oz slugs. I was planning on loading them into Win AA hulls with white wads and 36 grains of Herco powder (per Lee's loading data). My question is, can I use Winchester Ranger slug hulls? I have a quanity of them and would like to use them to differentiate between slug loads and shot loads. I would roll crimp them.

thanks in advance,

John

http://www.chokecreek.addr.com/hull.jpg

Johnch
07-14-2007, 11:58 PM
[smilie=1: Maybe [smilie=1:

Winchester has so many different names on hulls , color means nothing

What is a AA hull last year , might be a poly formed hull or a HS hull this year
To my understanding Winchester makes at least 3 different hulls along with the AA design they quit making a few years back

They make a Poly formed hull that they use for the normal 12 gau slug , dove&quail and some Steel shot loads
Normal not worth loading , because it tends to buckle
Normaly has a white plastic base wad
This is my guess what you have

They make the new HS hull , to replace the AA , IMO junk when it comes to reloading
But much cheaper to produce
Very little load data , only been out a few years

They have another 2 3/4" hull that is normaly only seen in Steel shot loads
Sort of looks like a poly formed , but with a shorter and cuped basewad

Easyest way to tell , is to cut one of the Ranger hulls open , split it in 1/2 top to bottom so you can see the design and construction of the basewad
Then find a known AA hull , cut it and compair

Shotshell loading isn't as forgiving as rifle or pistol loading
So be sure what you have

Johnch

Johnch
07-15-2007, 12:03 AM
would like to use them to differentiate between slug loads and shot loads. I would roll crimp them

Roll crimping produces a different pressure curve than a standard crimp
I can't remember if Lee supplys roll crimp data
If not IMO it is not a great idea to just change the crimp style

I can't remember if roll or standard crimp produces higher pressures
But you can't just interchange them

Johnch

Blammer
07-15-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd use em, star crimp per the hull, and write on the outside with a sharpie what it is.

singleshotbuff
07-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I'd like to figure out how to use slug hulls safely myself. I have hundreds of Federal slug hulls from police qualification at a local range. I've sectioned them and found them to be just like other Federal promotional hulls, except for the crimp. Of course, not having pressure equipment, I have put the in the closet for future use.

SSB

milfab
07-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am kind of new to this shotshell reloading. I'm a bit "gun shy" so I'll probally stick to known win AA hulls, white winchester wads and crimp them with my Mec. I'll write "slug" on the side with a sharpie. Now, in the future when all my AA hulls are worn out, what new components would be best for making Lee slug rounds?

thanks again

John

wiljen
07-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I like the Remington STS hulls personally. Plenty of data for them and they hold up well. Whats even better, the Remington "Gun Club" loads use the STS hulls and are almost as cheap as promos so buy them and get the first loading from the factory.

Johnch
07-15-2007, 06:39 PM
I like the Remington STS hulls personally. Plenty of data for them and they hold up well. Whats even better, the Remington "Gun Club" loads use the STS hulls and are almost as cheap as promos so buy them and get the first loading from the factory.

YEP
I agree
But even better
At the local trap / skeet clubs and sporting clays courses most people pitch them
I can go out and help pick up after a evening shoot and pick them up for free
They will even give me target boxs to put them in

Last time I took my neice and nefue out to shoot skeet
We came home with 2000-3000 hulls

BTW a leaf rake and snow shovel make pick up real quick

I bet Lee has STS load data for their slugs
That way you can have the different hull for each load

John

handyrandyrc
07-27-2007, 11:58 PM
I used the Herco data, with grey smooth AA hulls (low brass) and white WAA12 wads. I could put them all on a 2' x 2' target at 100 yards once I figured out how much to hold-over.

They kick like a sonobitch though. Not fun to shoot whatsoever. :)

Handgunr
08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
SingleShot,

Same here...........

When I was a range instructor for my dept., I collected thousands of Federal hulls from the range. I figured they'd come in handy someday, and yes, they did. Although Lyman's sabot loading data calls for the Federal "Gold Medal" hulls and using the yellow F114 wads, if you have the "field hulls" that they used for buckshot and the like, you can use the Winchester white wads in them.

The difference between them is the location of the shotcup and location that it holds the slug when applying the crimp.

The Lyman load I'm using is their 525gr. sabot slug loaded in the Federal field hulls (with the white wad) over 32.0grs. of Herco, and CCI209 primers.
I use approx. 20lbs. of wad pressure when seating them, load the slug in by hand, and then perform the regular fold crimp.

I've shot them in 2 seperate Remington 11-87's, and one Benelli semi auto (all rifled barrels), and they shot phenominally. I did a side by side comparison to the Hasting slugs and they outshot them by a wide margin.
The Benelli liked them so much that they shot cloverleafs at 75yds., and would probably do the same at 100yds., except for the wind that day.

The only doe my partner shot this last year (the Benelli owner) was a frontal shot at a slight quartering angle. The slug hit her in the chest and exited just in front of her offside flank. It knocked her back on her rump into a "seating position" and she was able to regain her foooting and run off about 60yds. before dropping.

I gotta say, after almost 20 yrs. of "dabbling" with casting and loading shotgun slugs, these Lyman slugs are a delight.
And to think that once the handgun hunting laws came around, I gave up hunting deer with a slug gun many moons ago.....

Makes me want to go back to it now.......

Take care,
Bob