View Full Version : Primer surprise

cheese1566
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Went to area shops here in the Black Hills area looking for some 22LR standard velocity for winter indoor postal league. I found some off brand foreign stuff at $7 per 50. No thanks. There was nothing else anywhere except for birdshot.

However, I did find everyone has Magnum primers for most pistol and rifle.

I was lucky to find some regular CCI large pistol at Cabelas at only $38 / 1000. They also had Winchester large pistols for $40 and had about 8 cartons (1000) on the shelf. They had postings of rationing goods of limiting ammo and supplies. Only 2 pounds of powder, 2000 primers, 5 hicap mags....

I have a small supply already and only bought one brick of 1000 so the next guy can be lucky too.

I was also lucky to get one of three boxes of 22LR Remington Target at Walmart yesterday...

I should play the lotto...

quilbilly
01-22-2013, 01:14 AM
I noticed that too. Magnum primers on the shelves but not much else.

Love Life
01-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Buy the magnum primers. They work fine if you start low and work your way up.

Jeff82
01-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Yes, I'm struggling to find small pistol primers. Seems like all my sources are out inlcuding Cabela's. I've got a four month supply on-hand. Anybody want to guess when normal supplies will be on-hand again?

casterofboolits
01-22-2013, 09:35 AM
The price of primers is going nuts again. Two gun shows ago I picked up CCI small rifle for $30.00/1000. The last gun show picked up Win large pistol for $32.00/1000, some were asking $45.00/1000! Online I found Tula for $25.00/1000.

Luckily, I have enough to last a couple years. Perhaps the prices will settle down again.

41 mag fan
01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Yes, I'm struggling to find small pistol primers. Seems like all my sources are out inlcuding Cabela's. I've got a four month supply on-hand. Anybody want to guess when normal supplies will be on-hand again?

When we get rid of the idiots ...all of them, not just a few that we have in the federal political arena

1Shirt
01-22-2013, 11:27 AM
It is all based on fear of the current administration. Who in their right mind would have ever forcasted such a turn of events in our history!
1Shirt!

wallenba
01-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Can't find CCI mini mags here. I still have plenty of Federal 22LR, but my autos don't like them. Midway has nothing but birdshot as well. I never order rimfire ammo, as it is usually easy to get locally. Can't wait for this 'panic' to ease up a bit.

ctious
01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
I loaded up in 22lr this summer. I am good for a long time. Glad I did. Primers namely cci 300 are impossible. I can get 350s all day long. Also bought some wlp being the shelves are full of them.

HamGunner
01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
I bought a few bricks of Tula primers a year or so ago, but had never used any of them until just the other day. While I have not fired any as of yet, I have heard that they work just fine. BUT, I did find one primer out of the 300 that I loaded up the other day that did not have an anvil in it. The anvil was not in the package anywhere and I had not dropped the primer. I just removed an anvil out of a spent primer and carefully placed it in the Tula primer and it should work just fine. But, just a warning to those that use progressive presses. Check the primers before loading them into the drop tubes.

I do not normally make such an effort to make a damaged primer work, but I was loading these in some plinking cast loads and if it still does not pop, then not problem. I would recommend just tossing such a primer otherwise.

Silver Eagle
01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
The Tula's work fine. They are a hair on the large size (about like CCI's).
They are also a bit harder. So, some older arms might not light them off reliably.