PDA

View Full Version : What hardness?

damifinowfish
01-21-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm new to casting bullets but have many years of experience casting fishing sinkers. Can someone explain to me what harness I should be using for 158 grain .357 bullets to be used in slower moving .38 spl & .357 mag guns? I thought just using range pick up lead would be fine but I've been told that even with center fire bullets, they have different lead hardness.

My first batch of this lead was small enough that I was able to have it all in the smelter at the same time. I though by doing this, it would keep this batch of lead with the same hardness.

So what is the target hardness I should be shooting for? How can I test for hardness with out a hardness tester if at all?

Thanks
DF

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
According to my alloy chart it says for the pressures encountered it would take a BHN of around 19-21 and i get that with my mix and water drop.
But I'm brand new at this and havent shot them yet to test but will find out on Wed when i test my different loads.
Fit is the most important thing when it comes to leading,
Someone in the know will answer soon.
Steve

Old Caster
01-21-2013, 11:15 PM
It depends on what kind of range you picked your lead from because indoors, rimfire ammo is mostly what you will find and it is pure lead. The biggest problem is that there is no tin in this lead so it won't cast very easily. If the lead is picked up where a lot of people shoot cast lead from their guns it will be harder. At the velocities you are talking about the bullets don't have to be very hard. As long as they cast looking good, they will be fine. Rimfire rifles shoot pure lead with just a waxy substance on the outside at 1350 fps with no leading problems. Pure lead is around 5 BHN, Wheel weights are around 10 BHN if they are clip on, and glue on can vary wildly but are usually pure if they are lead.

GP100man
01-21-2013, 11:17 PM
I run an alloy of isotope lead & 2oz of tin to 10# & can push em to 1200 or so before strippin in 357s, they check 12-12.5 bhn on my Lee tester.

For 38 I don`t add any tin with certain molds.

Everything is sized & lubed to 3585 , lubed with Recluse on wadcutters, & the rest gets 50/50, TAC1 or Carnauba Red.

Hard to say what your range pick ups will bhn at , but ya can always pour some boolits & work to the alloy.

When ya go to shoot em check the barrel after every few shots ,not 50

williamwaco
01-21-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm new to casting bullets but have many years of experience casting fishing sinkers. Can someone explain to me what harness I should be using for 158 grain .357 bullets to be used in slower moving .38 spl & .357 mag guns? I thought just using range pick up lead would be fine but I've been told that even with center fire bullets, they have different lead hardness.

My first batch of this lead was small enough that I was able to have it all in the smelter at the same time. I though by doing this, it would keep this batch of lead with the same hardness.

So what is the target hardness I should be shooting for? How can I test for hardness with out a hardness tester if at all?

Thanks
DF

.38 special factory wadcutters are around BNH 6.

I use range lead when I can get it. It is usually around BNH 9.

When I must, I use clip on wheel weights at around BNH 12-14.

So.

You need something harder than BNH 7 and softer than BNH 18.

You can use Linotype at BNH 22 but I would not recommend it.

At the velocities you are talking about expansion is not an issue. They are not going to expand.

Don't get obsessive about hardness. Use what you have.

Hardness testing.

BNH 6 you can dent with your thumbnail.
If you can scratch it easily with a nail or a screwdriver, it is perfect for your use.
If you can scratch it with a little difficulty, it is harder than necessary.

This method cannot get you to a BNH number just soft, medium, and hard.

Jal5
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
My experience with range lead is its good for 38/357 even if you push the 357s a bit. I just add a little tin to help with fillout. These are air cooled. using williamwaco's measure, I can scratch mine with a nail so I guess they are medium hard and the range has probably an equal amount of cast vs. jacketed where I shoot. I also use the same lead for 270 Win. rifle ammo and it works fine, no leading, decent accuracy for targets/plinking. Joe

Old Caster
01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Jal5 If you have equal amounts of factory lead bullets and jacketed, you will probably be able to do whatever you want. The only time I find myself adding tin with lead like you are talking about, is when doing small bullets i.e. 100 grain or less and then I only do it if I don't get good fillout.