PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about DW revolvers...

Silvercreek Farmer
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
I see a few pop up from time to time with what appear to be decent prices. Are they worth it?

http://www.armslist.com/posts/891559/north-carolina-handguns-for-sale--fs-dan-wesson-revolver

Kraschenbirn
01-21-2013, 11:18 PM
That's kind of an open-ended question. The DW label has been around since the early 70's and the company has changed hands (or been reorganized) several times. Some of their guns were excellent, some were mediocre, and some...like the very late guns from the original Monson, MA plant and most of the early pieces from Palmer, MA...were somewhat marginal.

As I recall, the earliest guns were all blue-finished .357s and were some of the best finished production guns I've ever handled, ranking right up there with the old Colt Pythons and Smith M27s. The larger-framed, big bore guns came later and were, intially offered in both blue and stainless. Back in the mid-80s, at different times I owned a couple of the stainless big-bores: a .41 Mag and .357 Max. Both guns were solid, well-made, and extremely accurate but the .41 was my favorite and I won a couple of IHMSA State Championships with it. So far as I know, though, there haven't been any new DW revolvers produced for close to (10) years, when the business was acquired by CZ which, currently, only manufactures/markets the DW line of 1911 clones.

When you're dealing with a piece of that age...'specially one, if it was shot for IHSMA competition, that could easily have had several thousand (very!) "hot" loads run through it...a 'hands-on' inspection would be the only way to go. Apparently, though, CZ is supporting the old revolvers, to some extent, by supplying replacement barrels, barrel shrouds, grips, etc...until their existing 'new/old' stock is exhausted.

Bill

runfiverun
01-22-2013, 12:17 AM
you'll find a few with a purple finish like some of the mid-70's model 94's have those are high nickel steel frames.
calibers like 41 and 45colt,25-20 etc are pretty hard to find.
i have had more than a few go through my hands over the years.
i still have 7-8 and a bunch of barells,i wouldn't pass up a caliber i don't have though.
still need a 414 to round out the super mags.
they are big framed guns and simple as all get out...

Silvercreek Farmer
01-22-2013, 05:48 PM
I guess somebody thought it was a good deal!

Fernando
01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
I have 2 15-2's and a bunch of bbl's
Kind of a extra big home made pistol pac.
I love mine - just make sure they came out of Monson.
Mine are very accurate.

onceabull
01-22-2013, 06:50 PM
The revolver shown in the OP's link is one of the fixed sight 357's..as such ,$325 is no means a great bargain,as you can now and again find some serviceable Model 15s for less than $400.... Onceabull

MR835
01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
I have a 1982 744V Stainless version That I Purchased Dec. 23, 1982 as my Christmas Present. It was my First 44Mag Hunter. And it is the Most Accurate of all the 44mags I hunt with. 1 RUGER
SuperRedHawk 9" & 1 S&W 629-5 Classic 6.5". The DW is very, Very Accurate with Iron Sights, With the
MagnaPorted or Solid Barrel. With the 4X Scope it is Nasty.

SAFE SHOOTING ALWAYS.

MR835 IS GONE

357maximum
01-22-2013, 11:28 PM
I have a Monson made model 15 and several barrels for it. I like it alot and it ain't going anywhere no time soon. Killed a few deer with it and a higher money gun would have done no better. Mine is normally wearing the 4inch barrel with all cylinders loaded resting in a custom made seat holster for my truck. It is my trucks carry gun :lol: