PDA

View Full Version : Lube color

mrblue
01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
So I was wondering if adding food coloring to bees wax/alox is safe. I want to make my lube either green or red. Im crazy i know, color shouldn't matter, but i can seperate them a little better by casting sesion and other things. Im OCD sometimes.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
I would just use a crayon, the problem you'll have is overcoming the brown color of the alox. But I don't think food coloring will work, you'll need (I think) the special wax dye that craft stores sell for candle making, which is why I suggested just using a crayon, plenty of coloring in one of those.

geargnasher
01-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Food color is water-based.

Gear

btroj
01-21-2013, 11:22 PM
I thinks hunk of colorant for candles or even a dark colored crayon is a better option. Water based food coloring isn't going to mix in very well.

Smitty's Retired
01-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Some of the craft shops that sale candle making supplies also have a liquid candle dye that is compatible for both beeswax and other type wax such as soy. They usually come in 2 oz & 4 oz bottles. I helped my wife make some holiday candles and we picked up some red and green liquid dye. Works great for bullet lube. usually only takes about 5 drops in a 2 cup metal boiler I use. Ive even used it in dying simple lube but think I had to use a little more like 8 drops.

I used to use crayons, but I felt guilty robbing them from the grand kids. :mrgreen:

dromia
01-22-2013, 04:21 AM
I am a great believer in less being more.