PDA

View Full Version : Star Progressive

OTThomas
01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
A local gun shop had this sitting on the floor for about 3 months, this was part of a bulk purchase they made but had no idea of its value. They had $175 on it, we offered $125 and made the sale. Came with .38 special and .45 complete die sets, spare head, charge bars, and spare parts. We bought it just to sell on ebay, but we started working with it and just loaded up our first batch of 45's, we can see now why these have such a following! Would love to get 9mm dies, so we'll keep an eye out, but for now we are pretty amazed at the quality, any additional information would be appreciated, Thanks!592155921659217

wv109323
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Excellent buy. I have two. You can get dies from the old C&H company now CH4D IIRC. There are one or two gentlemen making the shell plates. There is a forum for Star loaders at starreloaders.com and you should find contact info for the shell plates. you will need to come up with the powder tube/belling die but you can find people to make them for the 9mm.
E-bay also has some accessories that you may be interested in.
You are missing some parts to the case feeder. There are two options for the case feeder which was made by Hulme case feeder. One option is to have clear tubing of the right size for a .45 ACP round to fit in. Every time you work the handle a case falls into the case feeder and inserts it into the shell holder. The tubes were about 4' in length and you keep loading up the tubes with cases.
The other option was to have a "bowl" and put cases in the bowl. They amazingly feed into a short tube about 16" in length base down ready to go into the shell holder. The bowl was shaken with the action of the press.
Another thing if you intended to make match quality ammo you may want to consider. The tool heads were modified to accept a taper crimp die after the seating die. Thus the seating die just inserted the bullet to the right depth. The next station put the taper crimp on it. Many people think the taper crimp is superior to the roll crimp on the .45 ACP because the case head spaces off the mouth of the case.
I have the parts lists and could send you pictures of the case feeder. I could scan and send you the parts list. PM me if interested.

kd185
01-22-2013, 12:09 AM
wow im jealous

1bluehorse
01-22-2013, 01:40 AM
What a fine looking piece of machinery...the last one I saw for sale (actully I think it's still there) on E-bay was about the cost of a Dillon 1050...they may be the best thing ever but if I had that kind of money to spend on a reloader, between the two I'd pick the Dillon..a bit better support I would think...but if I found one as you did, I think it'd be pretty hard to deal away..just to darn nice...

Roundnoser
01-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Good golly, You STOLE that thing! Its a beautiful machine. I wish I could get a deal like that! I have one in 38 special I use for my bullseye loads. Your press is a Star Universal Press, not a Star Progressive...There is a difference.

Check out the Starreloaders forum. Lots of info and informative poeple there...everything you could want to know about Star machines.

angus6
01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
You STOLE that thing!

Thats a understatement , you got it for less the 10¢ on the dollar :drinks: