PDA

View Full Version : Paper shot shell trimming.......

3006guns
01-21-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm trimming Federal paper hulls down to 2 1/2" and loading with black powder for use in my old double hammer guns. So far, all of my loading has been done with the old hand tools, including a trimmer that uses a standard single edge razor blade. It does a good, accurate job but it seems the paper on the outside of the hull becomes somewhat loose and is easily pulled in strings from the cardboard tube itself. It's a minor annoyance but it looks as if it would shorten the hull life.
Is there some method of "sealing" or securing the freshly cut end, such as molten wax? Would one of those electric shot shell "conditioners" from years ago be the answer?

elk hunter
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
"Would one of those electric shot shell "conditioners" from years ago be the answer? "

Yes, it will. Use it before you trim the case and just long enough to cause some of the wax to come to the surface. It you use too much heat you will get too much wax on the surface and it will come off in your reloading dies and the chambers of your guns.

I trim Federal cases so I can roll crimp. I have a set of stamps that I use to print the load on the overshot wad to identify them when I forget to re-box those I didn't shoot. Saves me guessing what size shot ect.

cajun shooter
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
I have trimmed thousands of the Federal and other paper hulls for shooting in my 1887 Winchester replica for SASS matches. You don't have to use any type of heat gun but you must have the correct trimmer.
The very best is the D-Loader sold by Precision Reloading. It will also require that you buy the correct trimmer tool that is sold seperate and does not come with the cutter. The extra tool is about $10 and the D-Loader is about $18.
Be sure to purchase some extra blades.
The tool will trim back both paper and plastic.
I trim just the crimp off the once fired hull and then load them. They sell a wad that is intended for loading the 2 1/2 inch hulls and they work great. They are made in Italy and the number is 072SSW. I load about 55 grains of 2F and then drop a 1 1/16 of 7 1/2 shot for SASS shooting. The over shot wad is then placed over the shot and then roll crimped on my drill press.
I do the same thing with the Remington Nitro 27 plastic hulls or the STS hulls. Great Fun! Later David AKA Cajun Shooter PS USE WINDEX WITH VINEGAR TO CLEAN BARRELS

3006guns
01-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys!