PDA

View Full Version : Ideas inspired by Lee's redesigned 2 cavity moulds

MikeS
01-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Hi All.

While I've only seen Lee's new design 2 cavity moulds in pictures here on the forum I really like them. It also got me thinking of other changes Lee could make to their line of boolit moulds. The first idea is upping the cavity count from 6 to 8 or 10 when casting some of the smaller diameter boolits. I'm talking about using the same block size as their 6c moulds, and when casting smaller boolits (like a 22 cal, or even a 30 cal) putting more cavities in. I think this would help in keeping the blocks at the proper casting temp as there would be more lead to heat up the blocks. I'm pretty sure that when casting a 30 cal boolit there would be plenty of room to make the moulds 8 cavity moulds, and when casting 22's they could put 10 cavities in the same size block without cramping things any. Imagine the popularity of an 8 or 10 cavity mould for under $100.00 I could see a 10c mould selling for $89.99 or so. To take it a step further (as long as I'm dreaming, might as well do it right), and make the moulds double sided like the NOE offers, and having a mould that casts 20 boolits at a time! When casting pistol boolits which tend to be fairly short I think having a double sided mould would also aid in keeping it at the proper casting temp.

The only problem with increasing the number of cavities would be New York State requiring a max of 7 cavities per mould! :)

wrench
01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
The only problem with increasing the number of cavities would be New York State requiring a max of 7 cavities per mould!

You can have 10 cavities in NY state, but you can only cast with 7 of them...:groner: