PDA

View Full Version : 03-A3 Remington Factory Sportorized

Silver Jack Hammer
01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Guys I need some help here. I want an 03-A3 and cannot believe prices, I'm 6'4" so the military stock doesn't work. Years ago on my way to Thunder Ranch I stopped in at The Gun Room in Portland at saw a guys Remington factory sportorized 03-A3, I coveted that rifle. Now at a local gunshop they have one slightly used for a very decent price.

What are the pitfalls I should look out for when considering the purchase of his model? I assume it was manufactured right after my father and my Uncles got out of the Army in 1945.

frkelly74
01-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Be certain it is an A3 or a high number 03 and not a low number 03. A low number 03 might not be safe to shoot over the long haul.

leadhead
01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Huh, I'm 6'4" and my 03a3 stock fits me just fine..............
Denny

Dutchman
01-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Never heard of a "factory" sporterized 03A3 (because there never was such a thing). These were straight military rifles. And there were none made after 1945. The war was over in 1945...

It sounds like what you're talking about is a military 1903A3 that ~somebody~ ... a private citizen or gunsmith built into a hunting rifle. The only real pitfall is watch out for poor workmanship. But if you're complaining about short length-of-pull then you might have to have a custom stock made for your long arms.

Dutch

http://images20.fotki.com/v113/photos/4/28344/9895637/TM912701903Springfield-vi.jpg

Ragnarok
01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
I think Parker Hale used a few 03 A3 actions on commercial rifles in the 1960's/70's time frame

bob208
01-22-2013, 10:31 AM
there were some companies that used 03 and 03a3 for sporter conversions in the 50's and 60's. but remington never built any.

i also would not buy an unaultered 03 or 03a3 and modifiy it. i would look for one that was already drilled and tapped.

Multigunner
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
I have heard of runs of sporters built on 03 or 03A3 actions built in the 70's, but don't remember who built them. These were built on a number of unissued receivers found quite by accident at an unclaimed freight auction.

There were many "factory" sporters built on the 03 actions, and many custom built sporters by highly respected firms like Griffin & Howe.

PS
Theres the NRA Sporters as well, don't know if they ever used the 03A3 action.

KCSO
01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
On the contrary Teddy has a Springfield sporter made by Springfield Armoury in addition to the ones made by Wundhamer.

Dutchman
01-22-2013, 07:35 PM
On the contrary Teddy has a Springfield sporter made by Springfield Armoury in addition to the ones made by Wundhamer.

That's not a Remington 03A3.

Are we getting a wee bit obtuse?

45 2.1
01-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Gentlemen...... have you not seen the rifles produced for the national matches that would seem to many a sporter by common description. Of course they have receiver sights and most i've examined have the star gauge mark on the barrel. Curiously some have Remington receivers on them also.

TNsailorman
01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
I would check on the authenication of any rifle offered as a 1903A3 Factory Sporter. I side with the dutchman on this. I have heard & read about rifles that were converted from military rifles to Sporters by Springfield armoury in the 20's and 30's but I think the WWII ended that also. Hatcher's book on the 1903/1903A3/1903A4 is very complete and although he does have a chapter on the 1903 sporters, he does not even mention any made up from 1903A3's. That is because the 1903A3's were not made until WWII had already started. Springfield was up to their eyeballs turning out Garands from 1936 onward, they never went back to the 1903 or ever made 1903 after the war started. The contract was turned over to Remington. Springfield would make about anything you were wiling to pay for during the depression. If you were willing to pony up a whopping $11.00 plus dollars for the after market parts and send them to Springfield with the money for a 1903(new), they would put a sporter togather for you. You had to buy the new springfield of course, I believe I remember that price as somewhere between $8.00 and $10.00. If you have ever seen one, they were very well made and beautiful rifles. And yes they had a star gauge marked barrel for that. Some of the tales some of the old match shooters use to tell about the work and prices available thru the DCM at Springfield would reduce you to tears today. For instance, if you had a low number receiver or damaged receiver, send it to Springfield and it would be replaced for the price of shipping, usually less than $.50. I was not old enough to get in on this being born in 1942 but I loved being around some of those old guys and just listening to some of their stories about prices and work available to NRA members and Camp Perry shooters way back when. Sorry for the long post, seeing this question brought back a lot of good memories. james

bob208
01-23-2013, 08:23 AM
there may have been sporters made on the remington action. in fact i have seen many. but remington never made them. yes there were sporters and match rifles made on the 03. but they were made at springfield arsenal not by remington.

Larry Gibson
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
There have been many customised rifles built on '03 actions. However, as stated, I have no information that Remeington made any "factory sporterised" M1903A3s. What someone else (individual or factory) did with a Remington '03A3 rifle after it left Remington in military form does not make it a "factory Remington sporter". A mater of sematctics to be sure but still correct.

Larry Gibson

Multigunner
01-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Remington did manufacture sporting rifles based on the M1917 rifle, called the Model 30. These were modified , without the rear sight ears and mountings.
Not sure if they modified any original receivers left over from WW1 production or if those were purpose made receivers.

Winchester built a few Model 70 rifles with provision for stripper clip loading, for use in high powered rifle rapid fire matches, those might be mistaked for a altered military action.

azrednek
01-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Never heard of a "factory" sporterized 03A3 (because there never was such a thing).

Back in the 50 and 60's prior to GCA-68. Some of the mail order houses sold what they named "Factory Sportorized" or "Arsenal Sportorized" The factory, arsenal or what ever name they used was likely in the basement of the mail order warehouse.

Dutch4122
01-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Back in the 50 and 60's prior to GCA-68. Some of the mail order houses sold what they named "Factory Sportorized" or "Arsenal Sportorized" The factory, arsenal or what ever name they used was likely in the basement of the mail order warehouse.

I have an Interarms sporterized 1909 Argentine Mauser that was given such a treatment and reamed out to .31-06.:mrgreen:

azrednek
01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
I have an Interarms sporterized 1909 Argentine Mauser that was given such a treatment and reamed out to .31-06.:mrgreen:

I had one of those many years ago. After learning about reloading and loading it with .311 bullets it was quite a shooter. Even with factory 30/06 ammo it provided decent minute of deer accuracy.

frkelly74
01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
There was an article in American Rifleman a while ago where they were writing about the Marines sniper M40, Rem 700 based rifle. That also had a stripper clip recess in the receiver. which they pointed out was completely useless once the scope was mounted. I don't imagine you'll find many of those laying around though. (Maybe not relevant to the above subject but of interest perhaps.)

leadman
01-23-2013, 11:42 PM
What he might have found was a civilian model of the 1917 Enfield. Forgot what model Remington called it but had the same bolt handle on it and receiver without the rear sight protector.

Multigunner
01-23-2013, 11:55 PM
The M40 rifles were built on the Model 700 derived 40X series of target rifles, the .308 version coming with stripper clip guide opening. The USMC chose a scope mount with an extension that fits into a stripper clip opening for greater stability under recoil. The guide is retained so this mount can be used.

Hardcast416taylor
01-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Got a Rem. Model 721 with a stripper clip slot, can`t use it with a scope mounted.Robert

Silver Jack Hammer
01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Thank you all so much for the information and straightening out the misinformation I had previously received about the so called Remington sportorized 03-A3. I'll keep shopping.

ridurall
02-18-2013, 09:07 PM
I've got a 30 Belted Newton that was built by Dane Durbin in Colorado Springs probably in the late 40s or early 50s. I got it from him in 1974 when I was 18 years old and the story he told me was his brother worked at the armory back then and went through a bunch of barrels with a star gage and found 3 that were perfect. They were all chambered for the 30 Belted Newton that was also called the 30-338 back then and was popular as a competitive rifle. I can't remember all the stories about it but I do know he had some trophies from the President's 100 and he used what is now my rifle to shoot in it. It used to have quite a heavy stock but in the 80s I remodeled it to more of a classic style rifle. It still will shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards with 180 gr boolits in front of 69.5 grains of IMR4350. That load gave me 2915 FPS with the Nosler Partition boolits. Back when I traded for it I swapped a Winchester model 42 410 ga shotgun for it. It was probably was not one of the best deals I made but it has been a good hunting rifle for me. I've since replaced the model 42 once I realized what a young and dumb kid I was for trading it off back then.

Hang Fire
02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Guys I need some help here. I want an 03-A3 and cannot believe prices, I'm 6'4" so the military stock doesn't work. Years ago on my way to Thunder Ranch I stopped in at The Gun Room in Portland at saw a guys Remington factory sportorized 03-A3, I coveted that rifle. Now at a local gunshop they have one slightly used for a very decent price.

What are the pitfalls I should look out for when considering the purchase of his model? I assume it was manufactured right after my father and my Uncles got out of the Army in 1945.

Why not just install a butt extender?

Multigunner
02-20-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm 6'4" so the military stock doesn't work.
I use a slip on pad for military rifles to extend the length of pull. At least I did till the rubber of my forty year old pad finally gave up the ghost.
I'm not quite 6 foot but I have longer than average arms and hands.

A slip on pad allows some lee way, you can take it off when shooting in winter while wearing a thick coat.