PDA

View Full Version : 223/556 Reloading Stuff

1bluehorse
01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
WOW !!!!! just absolutely WOW !!...been over on e-bay lately???? really amazing stuff goin on over there....the amount of old reloading presses (JUNK, usable, but still JUNQUE) selling for more than a NEW Lee Classic Cast press)....saw a Hornady shell plate for 223 bid up over 120 bucks and still going....and thats not hardly worth mentioning compared to a LOT of other stuff...old RCBS 4x4 presses (that most didn't like when they were new) going over 300 bucks (well over in fact) Dillon 550's with an extra primer tube over $800....WOW ! I really can't think of anything better to say....WOW!!

So here's the OP issue...I do not own or shoot 223...couple friends do, and asked me about reloading...( they don't)..o.k., I have a couple progressive presses, so I say sure, bring your stuff and we'll load some up but I'll need to get a shellplate first.....now you see where this is headed don't you ???? Well, there's not an RCBS #10 (223)(or other brand for that matter) to be found..(well hardly, I found one,but you wouldn't believe where, was 10-12 bucks higher than "normal" but had free shipping so it was a push) everyone is "out of stock"...I mean everyone!!!!, really, thats a lot of shell plates to suddenly disappear, or has that many folks all of a sudden started reloading for 223/556....how come no one's runnin outa presses then???? my hackles are starting to raise a bit.....paranoia settin in I guess.......I'm just sitting here in awe and wonder, sipping a cup of java...:coffeecom.......amazing, simply amazing........

Bwana
01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
I have sold 2000 pieces of 223 brass in the last two weeks (to one guy) and have had three others asking for some. Sorry, tapped out of that round. Sold a bunch of other brass also.

Blammer
01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
just wait until you want primers or powder or projectiles. :)

LUBEDUDE
01-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Fahget Abaht it (in New York/Jersey accent) for the next 2 years unless you want to take a loan out from Guido and pony up the cash!

You're hosed Buddy.

oldtoolsniper
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Having a supply on hand to load seems to be like winning the lottery, you know the friends and relatives you didn't know you had suddenly dropping by to see how you are doing and more importantly what you will do for them...

engineer401
01-21-2013, 11:17 PM
I looked at eBay for the fun of it and noticed $40 Lee sets approached and exceeded $100. It's no longer entertaining to watch. If I needed 223 dies I'd either wait to see what happens or order from CH. They make great dies for less than $100.

Able 5
01-22-2013, 08:22 AM
"or has that many folks all of a sudden started reloading for 223/556....how come no one's runnin outa presses then????"

Had a buddy order a Dillon 550B .... 4-6 week wait from a online retailer. Sad face.

HATCH
01-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Its funny. People wait until its too late to understand that they need stuff.
You got this high dollar rifle but only have one mag? What about ammo?
You like going shooting once a month yet only buy a box or two of ammo and then shoot all of that up. Now you wonder where all the ammo went and what you gonna do with that $800 pistol that you don't have ammo for.....

Back in the late 90s, me and my buddies would go shoot our AK's. On a Saturday there would be five or six of us out there shooting. We would shoot up over 1000 rounds of ammo.
But back then it was just $75 for 1000 rounds. Now when I go shooting I only shoot up maybe 60 rounds of 7.62x39 if that much. To be honest I can't remember when I fired a AK in 7.62x39. I have shot a 5.45x39 last week and that was just 60 rounds. Based on the rate of use I can do one shooting day a month for the next 100 years :-)

1Shirt
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Old Pa Dutch sayin "Ve got to soon old and to late smart" really seems to apply to the situation.
1Shirt!