PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 or Marlin 336?

Marine Sgt 2111
07-14-2007, 01:09 PM
On a recent visit to the local pawn shop I spotted:shock: 2) .32 spl 94's, 4) 30-30's and 2) 336's in .35 Rem. The 94's (.32 Spl) were wore but not terrible and in the $500 range. The Marlins both looked brand new, were scoped and were in the $350 range.:-D

Normally I would just go with the Marlin but they have microgroove barrels and in the early '80's I had a miserable experience with a 45-70, microgrooved barrel and cast bullets.:(

Is there anyone with a Marlin shooting lead bullets who is satisfied with their results?

Thanks for the input.

pumpguy
07-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Oversize your bullets .002 or .003 and fire at will!!!! I have a garden variety 336 in 30-30 with MG and it shoots 1" at 100 yards all day. Properly lubed and sized bullets are Great with that gun!!!

Ranch Dog
07-14-2007, 01:54 PM
I second the Marlins, I've got a vault full of them! The properly sized bullet will do great wonders. Everyone I know with a 30-30 Win is doing well with the rifle. I have two Marlin. I rechambered my 24" barrel "A" to a 30-30 AI. The 32 Win Spls are interesting guns but I'm not sure of the availability of molds, I'm working on one. There was a good article in the February 2007 issue of "Handloader" concerning the caliber but very little if anything on cast boolits. The Marlins in 35 Rem are tough to fit a bullet to. No leade/throat and I'm working on that too.

It would be a hard choice for me and one of the reasons I guess I own them all :mrgreen: If I had a bullet mold in mind for the 32 Win Spl, I would go for it in a Marlin just because it is so unique now a day. The Marlin in 30-30 Win is an immediate hunter/shooter with a number of molds available. If the talk here was of jacketed bullets, the 35 Remington would be my first choice.

6pt-sika
07-14-2007, 05:31 PM
If I told you how many Marlin's I owned at the moment you wouldn't believe me .

I spend a fair amount of time shooting cast in micro grooved barrels and am haveing pretty decent results (I think):drinks:

I also shoot quite a few Ballard rifled Marlin's as well . But for reference at the moment I am shooting the following calibers that are micro grooved ; 30-30 , 356 WIN , 375 WIN , 444 Marlin and soon should be working with a 45-70.[smilie=1:

MT Gianni
07-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Jump on that 35 Marlin now! Gianni

crazy mark
07-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Buy them all. I have 4 Winchesters and 7 Marlins. Total of 3-30/30, 2-32 SPL, 2-35 REM, 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag and 45 LC. Only the 357 Mag and 41 Mag are MG but they shoot good. If I find another lever at a good price I will buy it. Mark

HCL
07-15-2007, 12:18 AM
The Marlin.
I own both and perfer the marlin. Have several with Micro-grove and Ballard, the all shoot great with the right boolit.

Mike

jdhenry
07-15-2007, 03:57 AM
I own both also, and I to prefer the Marlin.

Jim
07-15-2007, 07:14 AM
There's a few reasons I'd jump over a half dozen new Winchesters to get to a used Marlin. Fisrt, I don't like gettin' hit in the face with hot brass. Second, When you move the lever on a Marlin, all the related linkage moves with it. There's way too much slop and lost motion in a Winchester to suit me. Third, puttin' a scope on a Marlin is way yon easier. And fourth, Marlins hit where ya' point 'em!

Did I mention I prefer Marlins?

jh45gun
07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
I Feel just the opposite since I like peep sights a peep and a Winchester just seem to go together and I think a model 94 is a trimmer nicer handling gun. If I wanted to scope a lever gun I would I suppose go with the Marlin, but for peep shooting give me a Winchester.

EMC45
07-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Marlin by far. My brother has a 94 Win. in 30-30 and I have a 336 in 30-30. The Win is so sloppy and noisy. Nothing but rattle. The Marlin is tight and locks up like a bank vault. I know there are some of the history buffs out there that swear by the rifle that won the west, but I prefer the Marlin. Don't get me wrong years ago I had a Win. 94 saddle ring Trapper in 44 mag, and sold it like an idiot. It was before I reloaded. I wish I still had it. I have shot a few CBs out of the Marlin with no ill effects yet.:-D

Marine Sgt 2111
07-15-2007, 10:58 PM
The one marlin in .35 rem comes with a 2x-7x Nikon scope and I am really leaning towards it...have to go and review the prospective adopties agains....handle them all again...get that dazed look in my eyes again...:veryconfu

A month ago there was a BLR in .358win in the same rack and I passed on it....regrets, regrets

MtGun44
07-16-2007, 12:47 AM
I, too, have several Marlins and Win 94s. The Marlins are all more
accurate than the 94s by a substantial margin. Scope mounting
is easy on the Marlins, too. Besides the collector have driven
the prices of 94s so high, I'll probably never buy another one.

Bill

9.3X62AL
07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I have both makes--use both extensively--and really don't have a preference of one over the other. Regarding the Win 94's.......just exactly how does a rifle/carbine of which 7 million examples were made become "collectible"?

Char-Gar
07-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I also own both and favor the Marlin. I have had excellent results with cast bullets in the Marlin MG barrels. Like the others said, just use cast bullet .003 to 005 larger than groove and you are home free. It is extra nice if you can get the bullets noses larger as well.

If an total bunk that MG barrels won't shoot cast. They do very well all the way up the velocity scale, IF the bullet is a correct fit for the barrel and throat.

jim4065
07-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Winchester for me. The original Marlins had nice trim lines, but for some reason they fattened the forend and ruined the carrying properties. I do all of my scope shooting with a SS or a bolt (or Ruger semi auto) so I don't want to screw up the "feel" of the '94s or '92 (Puma). There's something special about a 94 - plus you don't have to pick up brass as soon as you learn how to work the action. :-D

ktw
07-16-2007, 01:48 PM
My preference runs to the Winchesters. The Marlins are great shooters but just feel a bit bloated in my hands compared to the Winchesters. Pretty subjective, however you want to look at it.

Regarding the Win 94's.......just exactly how does a rifle/carbine of which 7 million examples were made become "collectible"?

You could ask the same question about 03 Springfields, CMP Garands, Mauser 98ks and Mosin-Nagants. I suspect it has a lot to do with the model's history, the fact that originals are no longer produced and the number of really good examples left floating around today.

-ktw

Boomer Mikey
07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I like both Marlin and Winchester but prefer the feeling of the thinner stocks on the M94's and M92's. The Marlins are better shooters and easier to clean. I don't like the fat forends and the machine cut checkering on standard Marlin lever rifles. I really like the cowboy Marlins with their octagon barrels and thinner stock work, these are my favorite lever guns .

Boomer :Fire:

Lloyd Smale
07-16-2007, 05:46 PM
its about like asking which is better a chev or a ford all your going to get is a bunch of predudiced oppions. there both good guns.

9.3X62AL
07-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Prejudiced about gun make? US? Au contraire!

357maximum
07-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Marlins of all but the newest manufacture[smilie=w: some of the new ones I have looked at have furniture/form/fit/cycling issues that would need som "CORRECTING" before i would like them.

and seeing as someone brought it up... chevy all the way[smilie=w: I have crawled under /in /around my last ford a long time ago.

Marlin Junky
07-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I owned a couple pre-64 Winchester M94's before I owned several Marlin 336's and I shot the M94's seriously with cast boolits. I've kept the best M94's out of the two and basically, now it's just for lookin' at and to say I own one. If you don't like the feel of the 336's wood, some filing and sanding will make it handle much better.

MJ

axman
07-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I have an early guide gun in 45-70, the first day at the range open sights and cast bullets 100yds 3 shots= .810''.

Jon K
07-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Ditto, Ditto- Boomer & Al, that's exactly how I feel...........

Jon

35remington
07-16-2007, 10:25 PM
The .35 Remington 336 Marlins usually handle the RCBS 200 FNGC very well, and they make a first rate hunting bullet. Out of aircooled wheelweights, they hold together and expand nicely on deer at factory duplication velocities.

My .35 Remington Marlins are both Microgroove. No complaints here.

If'n you wanna be different and own a good, capable levergun, a .35 Remington is a good way to go (Shameless Plug!).

RoyRogers
07-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I like both. I have shot accurate & inaccurate models of both. The Winchester 94/92 definately feels/carries better for me. I like cleaning the Marlins much better. I like these style lever guns for their 'handiness'. A scope takes that away in my opinion. I mainly like scopes on bolt guns but do have one on my m88 Winnie.

Marine Sgt 2111
07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Well gentlemen...I did it. I went back to visit the used gun rack at the local pawn shop and broke out in a cold sweat. The particular Marlin .35 that I wanted was not in the rack with the other lever guns:groner: . :shock: Egads.:shock: Thankfully it was down socializing with the pump and semi-auto Remingtons.

I snatched that beggar up faster than an IRS agent after lose change. While I do like the slender carrying traits of the 94, the .35 bore, the smooth action, the Nikon scope and $50 bucks off did it for me.

Thanks to everyone for their input. You guys have been most helpful reflecting on your own experience with both the 94 and 336.

Well it's time to order, brass, dies, and a new boolit mold.:Fire:

Thanks again!

pumpguy
07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Congratulations! As soon as you get up and running, let us know what you think. I think you will be very pleased with your choice.

GrizzLeeBear
07-26-2007, 03:59 PM
.....a new boolit mold.:Fire:

Thanks again!

RCBS 35-200-FN !!!!!

Your gonna like the 35 Rem.

Four Fingers of Death
07-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I like both Marlin and Winchester but prefer the feeling of the thinner stocks on the M94's and M92's. The Marlins are better shooters and easier to clean. I don't like the fat forends and the machine cut checkering on standard Marlin lever rifles. I really like the cowboy Marlins with their octagon barrels and thinner stock work, these are my favorite lever guns .

Boomer :Fire:

pretty much says it. I prefer the looks of the Winchester, but there are a lot of advantages with the Marlin. I definetly wouldn't pay $US150 more for a Winchester. The situation is reversed here in Australia, Marlins always sell for a lot more (except for XTR big bores, they always bring good dollars).

I'd go a 35 marlin and a 30/30 as well if I could afford it.

If the gun without the Nikon is the better one, tell him you'll buy the rifle you like, but want him to swap the Nikon onto it. Might cost you an extra $20-$50, but it would be worth it.

Marine Sgt 2111
07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
I have great hopes for this Marlin, for one thing she's a lot lighter than a .35 Whelen on a 98 action that I put together 25 years ago as a brush buck stopper. I love the whelen for being a stopper, but have great hopes for the same from the Marlin with 200 grainers.

As far as a boolit mold, it will be either the RCBS 200gr or the Saeco 250gr. Lymans are ok...but I can convert the other two to work on my auto caster.

I looked both rifles over carefully and the one that I chose was the better of the two and had the other extra's. To tell you the truth, scopes are nice but on a lever gun a peep sight is the way to go.

I am just pleased as punch...oooorrrraaahhhhhh! There's nothing like a Marine with a new rifle to experiment with........:drinks:

Tristan
07-27-2007, 12:54 AM
I have both makes--use both extensively--and really don't have a preference of one over the other. Regarding the Win 94's.......just exactly how does a rifle/carbine of which 7 million examples were made become "collectible"?

There are 9 million people who want one? [smilie=1:

BluesBear
07-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Regarding the Win 94's.......just exactly how does a rifle/carbine of which 7 million examples were made become "collectible"?They stopped making them.

Seriously, I saw prices jump up $50 on new ones, the same week that USRA announced they were shutting down the U.S. plant.
Same thing happened with the Winchester 1300 Shotguns and Model 70 Rifles.
People always want what they can't have.

Poohgyrr
07-27-2007, 08:22 PM
The particular Marlin .35 that I wanted was not in the rack with the other lever guns:groner: . :shock: Egads.:shock: Thankfully it was down socializing with the pump and semi-auto Remingtons.

I snatched that beggar up faster than an IRS agent after lose change.

A Marlin in 35 Remington is always a good choice. Congrats! :drinks:

Mr. Reaper
07-27-2007, 10:56 PM
The new Marlin's in 45/70 do NOT have microgroove rifleing rather they now have deep cut Ballard rifleing. I own an 1895 Cowboy in 45/70 and it shoots Randy Garretts heavy weight 500+ gr bulletts just fine thank you very much!

RU shooter
07-27-2007, 11:43 PM
They stopped making them.

Seriously, I saw prices jump up $50 on new ones, the same week that USRA announced they were shutting down the U.S. plant.
Same thing happened with the Winchester 1300 Shotguns and Model 70 Rifles.
People always want what they can't have.Thats the best news so far as my Circa 1926 Win 94 in 32Wspl just increased its value alot more than 50.00!:-D

6pt-sika
07-28-2007, 12:29 AM
I have great hopes for this Marlin, for one thing she's a lot lighter than a .35 Whelen on a 98 action that I put together 25 years ago as a brush buck stopper. I love the whelen for being a stopper, but have great hopes for the same from the Marlin with 200 grainers.

As far as a boolit mold, it will be either the RCBS 200gr or the Saeco 250gr. Lymans are ok...but I can convert the other two to work on my auto caster.

I looked both rifles over carefully and the one that I chose was the better of the two and had the other extra's. To tell you the truth, scopes are nice but on a lever gun a peep sight is the way to go.

I am just pleased as punch...oooorrrraaahhhhhh! There's nothing like a Marine with a new rifle to experiment with........:drinks:

Congrats Sarge :drinks:

In my own somewhat warped situation , I have a trio of Marlin's in 35 REM . My first was a 336SC of 1952 vintage and I've used the RCBS 200 grain GC mould exclusively so far . Although when Ranch Dog brings out his new version 35 mould I will try it in the SC .
My second 35 is a Marlin 336D , this model looks just like a 1895G and all I've shot in it has been 200 grain REM CORE LOKT reloads .It is also wearing a Leupold 1-4x scope.
The third was bought about three months ago and is one of the new 336XLR's in 35 REM . This one has only had the Hornady Leverevolution pass thru it so far . After it kills a deer this season I will try some handloads in it this coming winter but until then its Hornady rubber tipped stuff [smilie=1: When the season arrives this one will get whatever scope I have available . As I move scopes around all season , most likely thou it will end up with a Leupold 3-9 . Well that is until it kills then it looses it's scope to go on another .

That 336SC has killed a big old whitetail doe at about 50 yards using the RCBS bullet and a Lyman peep sight . Dropped her like a ton of bricks .
And I wacked another doe at about 125 yards with the 336D shooting the 200 REM handload . Again she dropped on the spot .

So I have high hopes for the new XLR this coming season with the rubber bullet .Incidently I popped a medium sized doe with a 30-30 XLR and that bullet last season . She ran 30 yards and was bled out before I could reach her , this one was about 60 yards at the shot .

Bret4207
07-28-2007, 07:55 AM
I too have been bothered by the "fatness" of the Marlins. I have two OLD Marlins, an 1894 and 1899 and they have very nice slim stocks. A guy could make a modern Marlin into one of the slim ones with a little work.

The alternative to this Winchester vs. Marlin debate is to pick up a BLR. Then both the others will feel slim and trim. Then, just for kicks, go pick up a Savage 99. Carries and holds better than any of the above. Costs more too, but it's worth it to own THE BEST LEVER ACTION RIFLE EVER MADE!!! (Shameless plug over)

RoyRogers
07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I too have been bothered by the "fatness" of the Marlins. I have two OLD Marlins, an 1894 and 1899 and they have very nice slim stocks. A guy could make a modern Marlin into one of the slim ones with a little work.

The alternative to this Winchester vs. Marlin debate is to pick up a BLR. Then both the others will feel slim and trim. Then, just for kicks, go pick up a Savage 99. Carries and holds better than any of the above. Costs more too, but it's worth it to own THE BEST LEVER ACTION RIFLE EVER MADE!!! (Shameless plug over)

I agree about the m99s - the Winchester m88s were some fine lever guns as well. That said, an old 99 sure feels good in the hand & they were chambered in some fine calibers.

6pt-sika
07-28-2007, 10:07 PM
I agree about the m99s - the Winchester m88s were some fine lever guns as well. That said, an old 99 sure feels good in the hand & they were chambered in some fine calibers.

I "HAD" 3 Savage 99's . They shot very well !

But they didn't "grow" on me the way a Marlin does [smilie=1:

Can't say I was ever enamoured by the Winchester 88 or the Sako Finnwilf for that matter . Same can be said for the Browning BLR .

Although I have had thoughts of an 88 in 284 WIN and a BLR in 325 WSM . But I'd get them keep them for about a year then trade them off .

My Marlin's seem to hang around :drinks:

ebner glocken
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Marlin MG barrels shoot fine in my experience. Seems like you have to size the .35 Rem about .360 and the 30/30 around .310. The .30/30 will shoot as good as I can @100 yards.....ditto for the .35.

C A Plater
07-28-2007, 10:51 PM
For me it's Marlins and Winchesters not or and Savages too. I have more Marlins than anything else and I was looking at one of the XLRs and a .357 cowboy when a sweet 7-30 Winchester with the 24" barrel caught my eye and lightened the wallet. The same thing tends to happen when I'm around Savage 99s too. Probably because they aren't making them anymore triggers the spend reflex. Then there is the "it's a great deal" syndrome that got me the Marlin .32 H&R and the 1895 in .45-70.

Bret4207
07-29-2007, 09:02 AM
All in fun gents! I own and enjoy all the rifles I named and if I could find a 358 BLR I'd own that too. Truth be told my current favorite is a Rossi Puma in 44 mag. Of course that's till something else catches my eye. I just wish I had the ones back that I sold. I really, really miss my Marlin Mountie M-39 22lr. And I should have bought the 9422 in 22 lr and 22 mag when I was looking at them. Instead I said, "Someday." Well, someday came and went, alas and alon.....

Marine Sgt 2111
07-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Well you just had to bring up the subject of regrets Bret....

in the same shop that I bought the Marlin in, two days before I went on deployment last fall was a like new BLR in .358, and I passed on it.:groner:

or the Remington Model 37 Rangemaster that I had, got bored with and sold....[smilie=b:
and the list goes on and on....

(there are times my foot just doesn't make it up high enough to kick myself)

but then there are to ones I have and throughly enjoy...Shilo Sharps Long Range Express 45-70, Ruger #3 45-70, Winchester pre'64 National Match 30-06....a Ruger 77/22 hornet in .17 ack hornet and my multi barreled mauser 98.:drinks:

6pt-sika
07-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Well lets see I had a pair of Winchester 1892's that were around 90% a 32-20 and 25-20 . Traded them off for other stuff that I no longer have .

The four Kimber 89BGR Super American's I sold or traded off . The pair of Pre 64 model 70 Varmints (220 Swift and 243) with factory stainless barrels . The Pre 64 model 70 standerd in 264 WIN MAG . The Pre 64 model 70 in 22 Hornet that was made in 1938 .

OH and the worst that I've gotten rid of was my Krieghoff K-32 skeet and trap gun . This thing had Bavarian grade K-80 wood , 28" skeet barrel with a set of Kolar AAA tubes . A 32" o/u with Vandalia rib for trap doubles .And a k-80 unsingle barrel for 16 yard and handicap . This stock was really a trap stock as it was a monte carlo , but it worked GREAT for skeet as well as trap . Once I put that stock on the gun I went from a medium A class skeet shooter to AA / AAA .

Had a really nice Browning Citori Upland Special in 16 guage (24") that was my grouse gun . As well a Citori Lightning with 28" barrel in 16 gauge that I used for Sporting Clays and dove .

Had a couple Parkers and a Fox Sterlingworth I wish I had back .

I gotta quit this :(
The more I think about it the more I remmember :???:

Marine Sgt 2111
07-31-2007, 12:16 AM
6pt...I know.....the more you think and the more you remember....at any rate when I bought the marlin I also put in a bid on a #1 in 45-70...:-D