PDA

View Full Version : S&W model 28 rebarrel???

357maximum
01-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Say a feller had a gunkoted silver looking sound/decent shooting but ugly Model 28 (NO DASH and pinned) with the 3 inch barrel on it fall into his lap, say the feller kinda likes it but he would rather it had a 5 or 6 inch barrel on it.

What barrel models will fit this critter? and what are the odds of a used takeoff barrel clocking up right or close enough to right to make it workable? As you can tell I am waaaay out of my area on this one and any insight would be appreciated.

Would such a thing be folly? Would he be better off selling it and just buying a longer barreled 28????????

thanks,
Mike

Piedmont
01-21-2013, 04:13 AM
S&W only made the M28 in 4" and 6" barrels. Any M27 barrel will also fit though, and there were more barrel lengths on that model. A M27 barrel will have a higher external polish and checkering on top of it.

No_1
01-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi Mike,

Depends on what you want. The chances of finding another barrel that will screw on and clock correctly is slim to none and the chances of matching the existing finish are zero. The cost of buying then fitting a barrel and matching the finish will most likely exceed the cost of a sweet looking model 27 or 28 of your choice. I would sell it to someone who wants exactly what you currently have.

GLL
01-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Mike:

I think this feller should post a few photos of his 3" Model 28 ! ;)

Jerry

Love Life
01-22-2013, 01:08 AM
If it is truly a 3 inch model 28 and you decide to sell it to get a different model please let me know.

That aside I would love to see pictures.

rintinglen
01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Um, any gunsmith worth his salt could replace that barrel. The tricky part might be finding a take off to put on. Though for a while they were fairly common, back when the only way of getting a Smith 44 special or 45 colt was to convert a M28, nowadays they are much less common. Cost wise though, I think you'd better like the way it is, unless that gun falls in the 100 dollar range it would cost more to rebarrel than it'd be worth.

Piedmont
01-22-2013, 05:02 AM
I have 4" blue M27-3 takeoff barrel that is perfect inside and has some speckling on the outside. The front sight is a ramp with red insert. It isn't being used. If this is long enough for your conversion, only you can decide.

9.3X62AL
01-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Any chance that the existing barrel is a 3.5" Model 27 tube? Someone else may be looking for one to swap......remember that revolver barrel length is measured from the cylinder face to the muzzle end. A true 3" barrel on a 27 or 28 would be unusual, for sure. Model 27s at various times were made with 3.5", 4", 5", 6", 6.5", and 8.375" barrels, not counting factory custom jobs.

Jack Stanley
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
The feller in question doesn't have to stay with thirty-five caliber if'n he doesn't want to . I remember seeing a model twenty-eight once that had a factory installed barrel that had "model of 1955" stamped on it and a cylinder to match . Of course the finish of those didn't match the revolver but it was nicely done . I'm thinking all this feller has to do is find a barrel and cylider for the "N" frame and he's got it goin' on .

Oh ... and I'll backup GLL on his assertion !

Jack

GLL
01-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Mike:

Do the serial numbers on the barrel and frame match on your revolver?

I have a "semi-ugly" 4" Model 28 barrel for you if you are going to rebarrel ! The cost would be "before-after" photos of your project !

Jerry

357maximum
01-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas....much appreciated.

I bought the gun from someone that simply did not want it and needed the $$. I decided not to "live" with that silver ceramacote finsh as it just did not do it for me and turned the gun over to someone that loved it the way it is for a very small profit...more of a handling fee really. I learned that I sure do like the N frame with a 357 tube on it though....that will cost me $$ some day when a nice blue 6 inch 27 or 28 comes into view.... I am sure, :lol:

It had the standard 4inch ramped Highway Patrolman barrel on it, the County simply wrote it down improperly the day the last owner did his paperwork on it. I simply did not like the pimped up silver look of the gun...personal taste and I would have to do too much to return it to prebaked and sprayed condition.

thanks again,
Mike