PDA

View Full Version : A day at the range - DFW TX

crawfobj
01-21-2013, 12:14 AM
65 degrees and sunny here in Dallas, so I was off to the range today. Guess I wasn't the only one with that idea. Elm Fork was absolutely crazy. I stood in line for 15 minutes to get checked in. From the time I pulled in to the time I pulled the trigger was a full 30 minutes. I've never seen that many people there before. It was so crowded that I just grabbed a bench on the 50 yard range to avoid the real crowds.

I got a little work done on the 77/44 and 300 whisper (subsonic with can/integral), but it was a real challenge. They called cease fires every 12 minutes and we had to watch the range master sweep up brass for 5 minutes each time after we had set targets before he would let us go hot again. Guess they were more interested in getting out of there on time than letting us shoot.

He had the nerve to tell met that they had just changed their policy and that any brass that hit the ground belonged to the range. I told him flat out that I had formed my 300 whisper brass by myself and he would have to fight me for it. He backed down and was a little more friendly after that, but still rubbed me the wrong way. No better way to run off the serious shooters.

Made some progress on my loads with the excellent RD 310 TL in the 44 and NOE 247 in the whisper, but still more work to do.

All in all, I shouldn't complain about an afternoon like this in January, but I may need to find another place to shoot. Crowds drive me nuts.

Any suggestions?

LUBEDUDE
01-21-2013, 02:22 AM
I remember when I lived in Dallas 22 years ago and shot a Elm Fork. Man weekends absolutely sucked! Sounds like it hasn't changed. Hope they fixed the flooding problem.

popper
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
That must be the new chubby guy? He measure the 50 range with a wheelie and said it was only 48. Actually he is Ok to get along with on weekdays.

P.K.
01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
He had the nerve to tell met that they had just changed their policy and that any brass that hit the ground belonged to the range.

WOW! I know the ranges I work, brass on the ground is finders keepers. "Sorry sir, if it's in the buckets it helps pay the costs of running this place." Hardly ever a problem, but if I ever see that no good SOB who swipped 2 full buckets out of the back of the gator we will have words....;-)

migtek02
01-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Elm fork has been updated and looks great, unfortunately the service and the attitude is declining more and more. I don't know who is making up their stupid rules but they need a reality check. Lots and lots of people shoot there so it may not matter but it's definitely going to their heads. I don't care to shoot there anymore so i have to drive longer to a decent range in Ft Worth but it's worth the drive. The most frustrating thing is the range nazies who don't really know much about calibers, gun safety etc. *we were there as a group and we're upset after a kid was giving one of us a hard time the older guy ( one of the few old timers) told him to back off and let us continue since we were right. Too bad it's actually a nice range but it has Poor service.

Oh and the land is owned by the city of Dallas so maybe they are pushin some of the craziness.

(Edited for Language by staff...Please obey the rules !)

mold maker
01-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Seems all ranges are claiming the brass, and lead, as a money cow. Some also require you to shoot only their ammo. I can't think of a better way to create ill will, with serious shooters.
Guess where I don't go to shoot. I'd rather pay bigger fees and get rid of the hassle, besides I only shoot my own reloads, in my brass.
I'm sure glad to have shot and harvested range brass and lead while it was considered trash and they even paid me for its removal.
I guess being old does have some advantages.

LUBEDUDE
01-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Glad to hear Elm Fork is looking good. I guess it is no surprise about the service. I joined as a teen in '68 or '69 when the membership cards looked like the old narrow Sears white charge cards.
I remember two fat old guys running the place. You were expected to be safe and treat the range an property like it was your own. And most folks did. No range Hogs/Trash like you see nowadays disrespecting range property.

Some guys just don't get it; if you don't treat right, it won't be here tomorrow.

Recluse
01-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Elm fork has been updated and looks great, unfortunately the service and the attitude is declining more and more. I don't know who is making up their stupid rules but they need a reality check. Lots and lots of people shoot there so it may not matter but it's definitely going to their heads. I don't care to shoot there anymore so i have to drive longer to a decent range in Ft Worth but it's worth the drive. The most frustrating thing is the range nazies who don't really know much about calibers, gun safety etc. *we were there as a group and we're upset after a kid was giving one of us a hard time the older guy ( one of the few old timers) told him to back off and let us continue since we were right. Too bad it's actually a nice range but it has poor service.

Oh and the land is owned by the city of Dallas so maybe they are pushin some of the craziness.

I used to shoot over there two to three times a week when I was working for Ackerman McQueen and the NRA 20 years ago. Our offices were in Las Colinas and maybe a half-mile or so from the parking garage. Great way to spend your lunch hour. Back then it was known as Winchester Shooting Range and it was a great place to shoot. We would regularly take our NRA clients over there to shoot, including LaPierre, Baker and Heston as well as the celebs that came to town for meetings with us.

Went out there several years ago and was completely disgusted. Bunch of damned metrosexuals and socialites all over the place, asinine rules, exorbitant prices--and it's in Dallas/Dallas County, which I try to avoid whenever humanly possible.

:coffee:

square butte
01-22-2013, 07:37 AM
I worked there when I was in high school 1967-70. Burned up most of what I made shooting. Urb Lohman used to run the skeet/trap range side. Charlie Reed on the rifle side. Was a great place to spend weekends in those days.

TXGunNut
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
I generally shoot @ Quail Creek, just a few miles north of Cabelas on 35W @ 1171. It was crowded Sunday but I found a spot on the rifle range to do some load testing. Short range and pistol range was very crowded but all things considered that shouldn't be a surprise. They've expanded and made lots of improvements over the past several years. Range staff is a good bunch of guys and they won't cut any slack on safety so get a good understanding of their cease-fire rules. They don't care if you pick up your brass, even a little extra as long as you don't interfere with other shooters. I heard 145 folks did the range qualifications over on the CHL range last weekend, another sign of the times.

texassako
01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
I generally shoot @ Quail Creek, just a few miles north of Cabelas on 35W @ 1171. It was crowded Sunday but I found a spot on the rifle range to do some load testing. Short range and pistol range was very crowded but all things considered that shouldn't be a surprise. They've expanded and made lots of improvements over the past several years. Range staff is a good bunch of guys and they won't cut any slack on safety so get a good understanding of their cease-fire rules. They don't care if you pick up your brass, even a little extra as long as you don't interfere with other shooters. I heard 145 folks did the range qualifications over on the CHL range last weekend, another sign of the times.

I shoot there as well, but during the week to miss the weekend crowds. They definitely take their RO duties seriously, and they don't allow FMJ on the rifle ranges.

Recluse
01-22-2013, 11:55 AM

I'm familiar with Quail Creek as it's on the way out to our airport, which is southwest of Alliance. Unfortunately, there were a lot of years in which this range had the worst reputation in north Texas because of their RSOs.

We used to shoot there back in my LE days until they got too unbearable. Got a couple of cousins who have been back in the past six to eight months and tell me that almost all of the previous personnel who were the problem are long gone and that it is once again a nice place to shoot.

Appreciate the heads-up as I need to find an outdoor range to do some load testing for several rifle calibers.

:coffee:

popper
01-22-2013, 02:48 PM
crawfobj - put a ball cap over the scope posts to keep your brass on the table and not 10 ft behind you.

crawfobj
01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
I appreciate the input on other places to shoot. Don't get me wrong - Elm Fork is a great facility, especially on the shotgun side. They've put a ton of money into improving the place, and I can't imagine the number of idiots they deal with on a daily basis out there.

That said, the way they managed the crowds and the RSO's approach on my brass took the shine off of what would have otherwise been a great afternoon.

I'll take my brass catcher or try the hat trick (thanks for that) next time. .

km101
01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
I had a similar experience at Quail Creek about 3 weeks ago. The RSO said that any brass on the ground belonged to the range. After a little discussion he backed offf and became human again. I dont know why they think the range is "entitled" to steal your brass, but that seems to be the way things are going.

But minor problems aside, Quail Creek is still about the best place to shoot in the area. Just dont go on the weekend! It is really nuts then! Now if you want an indoor range, Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville, is a very nice, new facility! It is temp controlled, well ventilated and has 24 lanes. It is only a 25 meter range but you can shoot rifles there. The RSO said that you can shoot anything "up to and including .50BMG" so the have one h*** of a bullet trap for an indoor range. Nice place and nice people.

crawfobj
01-22-2013, 06:24 PM
That's great to hear - somehow I've never heard I eagle gun range. Will have to check it out sometime.

I'm a member at the Dallas Pistol Club, which is also a great place to shoot with great members. It's private with a long waiting list, but its worth the wait and doesn't cost much. (Less than $150/year if I recall correctly.) they have a 100 yard range, but it's limited to handguns, rimfire and front stuffers only. No center fire long guns of any kind allowed, so I have to go elsewhere for that.

TXGunNut
01-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Eagle is new, thanks for the report. Have been wondering about them since they started doing some radio ads.

longhorn
01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Haven't lived in the metroplex for 15 years, but I gave up on Elm Fork at least 20 years ago-it became overrun with the 40-totin' gangbangers--my point is that the RO's are probably working under some pretty strict "rules of engagement." As I recall, when Elm Fork opened as a Winchester range, it was supposed to be a prototype for a string of Winchester branded shooting ranges in urban locations. That was a long time ago, wasn't it?

square butte
01-22-2013, 09:22 PM
It was known as Winchester Gun Club in the late 60's.

williamwaco
01-22-2013, 09:26 PM
That's great to hear - somehow I've never heard I eagle gun range. Will have to check it out sometime.

I'm a member at the Dallas Pistol Club, which is also a great place to shoot with great members. It's private with a long waiting list, but its worth the wait and doesn't cost much. (Less than $150/year if I recall correctly.) they have a 100 yard range, but it's limited to handguns, rimfire and front stuffers only. No center fire long guns of any kind allowed, so I have to go elsewhere for that.

I have been on the waiting list for 5 years.

Yes, it is L O N G.

crawfobj
01-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Waco,

Wow didn't realize it was THAT long. I think I waited about a year or so. The renewal period is coming up soon. You might check in with the membership guys and make sure they know you're still interested. There are always guys that don't get their renewals in.

km101
01-23-2013, 12:40 AM

I was on their waiting list for about 3 years in the late '90s and finally gave up. I used to shoot there with a friend but havent bee there in years. They now have apartment complexes behind their impact area! LOL That area has grown so much, Im surprised that they havent forced that range out of existence!

One of the RSO's at Elm Fork is a friend of mine. He says that he can hardly belive some of the people who come out to shoot. He said that they routinely have people show up with firearms that they just purchased, that they dont even know how to operate! Much less shoot accurately! He spends a lot of time teaching people how to operate their guns so that they will be safe on the range. He says it is purely self defense. He has told me of some really "hair raising" incidents at the range and advises all his friends not to come out on the weekends. :)

LUBEDUDE
01-23-2013, 01:43 AM
I worked there when I was in high school 1967-70. Burned up most of what I made shooting. Urb Lohman used to run the skeet/trap range side. Cahrlie Reed on the rifle side. Was a great place to spend weekends in those days.

I remember Charlie Reed as a teen. He was good people.

williamwaco
01-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Waco,

Wow didn't realize it was THAT long. I think I waited about a year or so. The renewal period is coming up soon. You might check in with the membership guys and make sure they know you're still interested. There are always guys that don't get their renewals in.

Yea, they know.
About six month ago they made me put up a $50 dollar deposit just to remain on the list.

tvirus
10-05-2014, 01:04 AM
I remember Charlie Reed as a teen. He was good people.
charlie reed was my step grandfather and dennis reed was my stepfather....they were good people and i miss them both

LUBEDUDE
10-05-2014, 01:21 PM
charlie reed was my step grandfather and dennis reed was my stepfather....they were good people and i miss them both

Wow, small world!

I can still picture him with his big smile and big belly, sitting at the table in the clubhouse tell'n deercamp lies.

He Ran things in a laid back way and treated this kid with respect. He always seemed pleased to see folks and was never ruffled. You just felt welcomed there.

It's remarkable how some folks make an impression on a young man after more than 40 years. Not too people can do that. You should be proud of that Tvirus.